Author Topic: Clutch Alignment Tools ?  (Read 4479 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Clutch Alignment Tools ?
« on: June 14, 2019, 05:14:35 PM »
The one I have is for using a single disk, but I have the Ram twin disk, so mine isn't long enough.
I'm thinking this one that is bullet not the plastic. I don't mind paying extra for a better tool and that can be used a lot more than a few times. Just checking with you guys.

RAM Clutch Billet Steel Alignment Tools 03-048

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ram-03-048/overview/make/ford
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:16:20 PM by 427HISS »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Clutch Alignment Tools ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 09:37:10 AM »
If you can't come up with a broken input shaft to use, then that would be the next best thing.
Larry

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 10:14:14 AM »
If I was making one from a worn out input shaft, would make it so there was a disc that fit inside the ID of the bell housing hole. Or use part of the trans front bearing retainer.

cj428cj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 11:17:00 AM »
I was using one of those cheap plastic alignment tools that came with my clutch assembly and it was crap. I spent hours trying to get the transmission installed but I couldn't get the input shaft to enter the pilot bushing no matter what I tried. I bought that Ram aluminum alignment tool and it made all the difference in the world.  It's a great piece. 

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »
If the tool fits loose in the Pilot it can make your Disc out of alignment from the play , if loose we use the tool to move the disc around and just eye ball it , if it looks off center then it is , works great

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 12:04:58 PM »
Yes, the typical plastic ones are kinda on the loose side.  Even my used, broken input I use for installation, I slide it in/out a few times, making sure the disc is not hanging on it and making it droop out of alignment.

With mine being near a full input shaft, I have something to bang on with the palm of my hand to move the disc around just slightly to adjust it even after tightening the bolts up.
Larry

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 09:35:17 PM »
Well crap, the model I have is for a single disk, but I need a longer one for a twin disk. More money but will have it for replacing the clutch next time. $50.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ram-03-048/overview/year/1968/make/ford/model/galaxie-500

chris401

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 09:43:49 PM »
A speed trick I learned from seasoned tech was to hang the clutch disc and pressure plate on the input shaft. The only thing to line up it the pilot bearing. Rotating the flywheel a few times to gradually tighten the bolts seems like more steps but in most cases it is a big time saver.

It was so simple I could not figure out why I hadn't already thought of it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:45:32 PM by chris401 »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 07:38:22 AM »
Chris, it all depends on your bellhousing.  Factory ones with the big opening on the bottom is okay.  Aftermarket blowproofs have minimal access and you have to put the clutch in first.

I know hanging the clutch on a big truck makes it a whole lot easier on the back, but again, the bellhousing allows access to tighten the pressure plate bolts.
Larry

fe-starliner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »
Decades ago when I first attempted to use the plastic alignment tool it was too loose in the pilot bushing.  I simply wrapped a few turns of masking tape on the portion that fits into the pilot bushing until it fit snug.  Solved the problem, everything lined up correctly.  Still works today.
1960 Starliner, 406-6V, TKO-600, 4.11 9"
1961 Starliner, 427 4V, SS700 5 speed, 4.56 9"
1968 F-100 SWB, 352 4V, C6, 3.25 9"
2012 Mustang, 226" V6, 6 speed auto, 3.31 8.8"

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »
What do you do with a dual disk ?

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
I'd machine one out of a stick, personally.  In the old days, I would collar a friend or room mate.  I used one of the wood tools to get it close to right.  Install bell and clutch linkage. I'd then hang the trans on some long studs, lock it in gear and put in the tail yoke.  Gently slide the trans forward and turn the tail yoke to get a good bite in the disk.  Then had said friend/roomie step on the clutch pedal and the trans would slide right in. 

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »
I know hanging the clutch on a big truck makes it a whole lot easier on the back, but again, the bellhousing allows access to tighten the pressure plate bolts.

How I do every semi, major time saver if you have a helper for 5 minutes to roll the engine over.

chris401

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »
Chris, it all depends on your bellhousing.  Factory ones with the big opening on the bottom is okay.  Aftermarket blowproofs have minimal access and you have to put the clutch in first.

Used that more on automobiles than anything else. Some you can't get to that way. The stock FE bells.are easy.to do this way. Seems the big trucks had dual disc but I have never used a dual or blow proof bell on an FE.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 02:55:53 PM »
I'd machine one out of a stick, personally.  In the old days, I would collar a friend or room mate.  I used one of the wood tools to get it close to right.  Install bell and clutch linkage. I'd then hang the trans on some long studs, lock it in gear and put in the tail yoke.  Gently slide the trans forward and turn the tail yoke to get a good bite in the disk.  Then had said friend/roomie step on the clutch pedal and the trans would slide right in.

Only real problem is he is working on a dual disc.  :o
He needs both splines lined up to get the transmission installed.  The wood stick trick won't quite get you there.
Larry