Author Topic: 65 SOHC Galaxie And 62 483  (Read 5012 times)

67428GT500

• View Profile
Re: 65 SOHC Galaxie And 62 483
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 08:05:19 PM »
There's a whole bunch wrong with this one!  If it sells as presented I am guessing that someone is going to be looking at a lawsuit.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:12:31 PM by 67428GT500 »

chris401

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
Are the cars in Conn. now? How were you able to see them this early?
Last I heard they were leaving Fort Worth today at noon. I drove up yesterday afternoon, his shop is just a couple hours North of me.

chris401

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 08:26:07 PM »
I think that 483 car is about as cool as it gets.
That was my wife's favorite. The 24 year old in me wanted to take the cammer out to see how fast the law is. The 44 year old I am thought of the price of gas and possibly getting someone killed.

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
Anyone note the build date? Apparently when they were making the fake door tag they forgot Ford did’t use “I” for dates.  :o  The format is wrong as well.

Good catch on the build date.
Maybe its a lower case "L"? LOL.
Seems incredible to go to all that effort and then not even know the FoMoCo date codes.

I didn't pay that much attention, I'm more into the "1 of 1000" or "1 of 10000" cars, because those are the ones I'd see on Telegraph or Woodward. If Ford had made 1000 factory SOHC Galaxies then NASCAR would have had to let them run as-is, but of course that didn't happen.

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »
Based on the real early CUN I’m guessing they were going for Aug of 64 but missed the mark!

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 10:14:41 PM »
A couple of comments on cammers and the early factory efforts.

The earliest sparkplug location, down low on the rocker/cam covers, was where the design started. The plugs were located in the theoretical 'ideal' place for such things as flame propagation/flame front travel. Frustration was quickly evident because these earliest heads didn't produce much more power than the high-riser design they were intended to supersede.

A variety of fixes were attempted---among them moving the plugs so that they were in a less advantageous-seeming location in the combustion chamber but one that had the benefits of making it much easier to r-'n'-r the plugs and also,with that one change, magically 'found' an extra hundred or so horsepower. There were other detail changes, including, ultimately, a material change from iron to aluminum for the head castings.

Now you know the rest of the story. (I had a kit, consisting of the early low sparkplug heads and the covers and a bunch of other stuff.) I was lucky to know someone who knew someone, and was gifted with a set after they were thrown to one side at some place in the bowels of Triple E, The stuff wasn't good for anything but interesting garage wall hangings. I still have a set of lash caps here in one desk drawer. I'n mot sure, this long thereafter, if they're from that long-ago bunch of stuff---I gave the bulk of it away before an impending move more than 40 years ago---or a set I sourced from Carl Holbrook's 'stash', used to give a better geometric lay-out for an engine I built with Dove castings.

KS