Author Topic: 65 SOHC Galaxie And 62 483  (Read 5008 times)

chris401

65 SOHC Galaxie And 62 483
« on: May 23, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »
Saw a number of interesting cars today but I only took a few pictures of these two cars. Visit the auction, see the cars, paper work and decide whats what for yourselves.

TomP

• View Profile
Re: 65 SOHC Galaxie And 62 483
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:45:27 PM »
Good job!  So there are the disc brakes and XE numbered exhaust manifolds. It looks like an extra rear suspension upper link too.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 06:44:58 AM »
Is that the "fake" factory cammer we've been discussing?  The brakes are of the Lincoln/T-bird variety.

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 07:39:25 AM »
Looks like it to me , its the same car from Texas. I didn't think they built any M code cars ? Am I wrong?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 08:13:11 AM »

Yes, it is the same car we've covered here recently. Obviously, not a gennie OEM Ford installed Cammer so the buyer is hoodwinking us with phony background. Still, I'd buy the car for a whole lot less than he thinks he can get as it would be a killer ride!
Bob Maag

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »
I think that 483 car is about as cool as it gets.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 11:34:23 AM »
  The sticker never existed "in the day" . IF the engine was "real" the valve cover would have an oval shaped sticker on it with an experimental engine number , NOT this phonied up 406 style sticker.
    Randy

chris401

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 01:15:02 PM »
I was told these are cast iron non-adjustable heads. They have "pucks" like many newer OHC engines have. The valve covers are like the ones pictured in this HAMB article. Where the evolution fell between non adjustable bottom mount spark plugs to adjustable heads with the top mount spark plugs is out of my knowledge. I am guessing this is the end of the cast iron heads just after the plugs were relocated up top.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ford-427-sohc-engines.761572/page-13
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:19:36 PM by chris401 »

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »
Yes it's all part of John Rummels collection in TX. Ive seen the entire collection a couple different times. Hard to say what is legit.

66sevets

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 02:57:48 PM »
Did you look at the vin stamped on the firewall flange? Like to see what the M in that one looks like.
Steve M.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »
    Chris.
      Bottom spark plug hears are very rare as the concept proved to be too difficult to use in a production chassis. The first design rocker arms were all non adjustable and valve lash was adjusted with small "lash caps" placed between the valve tip and rocker arm. Setting lash took ridiculous amounts of time and the second generation adjustable rocker arm was developed. The style of rocker arm is not unique to the iron or aluminum head, The interchange. Most (for obvious reasons) go with the adjustable rockers used on "most" of the (potential at the time) production engines that were eventually sold off through Holman Moody as many period pictures document. Aluminum heads were very rare ( some accounts say 50 pair and others say less) and only a Ford "contract" racer could get them (initially). I am nit picking but since I was around in the day , the only engines to get the black valve cover stripe were those that were painted the "gold color" . The "Blue" engines had blue stripes on the covers. The blue engines were built for '66 production vehicles ( though we all know it didn't happen) which were all painted corporate blue. That is another reason the physical parts don't match the description of the car.
     The issue with this '65 isn't the parts , it is with the "factory built" part. A car that was modified like this would have a "brass tag" and be noted in factory paper work as being done by the ''Stock Vehicles Dept", IF it was done at Ford as a prototype. The work is top notch and it IS possible it was done by DST who was very capable of doing  work of that quality for "any" customer.   "MY opinion ONLY" s that this car was probably done at DST and possibly for a Ford employee. I have ZERO proof  , just a hunch. Dearborn Steel Tubing is still in business and "I" would encourage any potential buyer to check with them to see if they had anything to do with it. they "may" still have those records stored somewhere. they built many specialty cars for Ford besides the well known Fairlanes and Comets of '64 and '65 ( yes they built 2 '65 Fairlanes , 1 cammer and 1 289).
     Randy

chris401

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 04:40:10 PM »
    Chris.
      Bottom spark plug hears are very rare as the concept proved to be too difficult to use in a production chassis. The first design rocker arms were all non adjustable and valve lash was adjusted with small "lash caps" placed between the valve tip and rocker arm. Setting lash took ridiculous amounts of time and the second generation adjustable rocker arm was developed. The style of rocker arm is not unique to the iron or aluminum head, The interchange. Most (for obvious reasons) go with the adjustable rockers used on "most" of the (potential at the time) production engines that were eventually sold off through Holman Moody as many period pictures document. Aluminum heads were very rare ( some accounts say 50 pair and others say less) and only a Ford "contract" racer could get them (initially). I am nit picking but since I was around in the day , the only engines to get the black valve cover stripe were those that were painted the "gold color" . The "Blue" engines had blue stripes on the covers. The blue engines were built for '66 production vehicles ( though we all know it didn't happen) which were all painted corporate blue. That is another reason the physical parts don't match the description of the car.
     The issue with this '65 isn't the parts , it is with the "factory built" part. A car that was modified like this would have a "brass tag" and be noted in factory paper work as being done by the ''Stock Vehicles Dept", IF it was done at Ford as a prototype. The work is top notch and it IS possible it was done by DST who was very capable of doing  work of that quality for "any" customer.   "MY opinion ONLY" s that this car was probably done at DST and possibly for a Ford employee. I have ZERO proof  , just a hunch. Dearborn Steel Tubing is still in business and "I" would encourage any potential buyer to check with them to see if they had anything to do with it. they "may" still have those records stored somewhere. they built many specialty cars for Ford besides the well known Fairlanes and Comets of '64 and '65 ( yes they built 2 '65 Fairlanes , 1 cammer and 1 289).
     Randy
This is only the 2nd cammer  I have seen run. The actual exhaust system on this one let me hear the chains. Sounded like it had a pretty nasty temperament. Lots I do not know about these. So the early valve covers will clear the adjustables and bolt up to iron and aluminium heads?

I had seen the plain valve covers before laying loose where the other cammers were. That owner said they were on the non adjustable heads. Maybe he just meant they were around at the same time. Lash caps are what I was calling "pucks". The SOHC caps looked tiny compared to the Jaguar and Toyota hockey pucks I am used to.

CDXXVII

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 06:44:51 PM »
Are the cars in Conn. now? How were you able to see them this early?

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 07:19:08 PM »
I have the early valve covers and the early, non adjustable rockers and my cammer. The early valve covers are a lower profile style, and won’t clear adjustable rocker arms. Mine have a Ford part number cast on them where the sticker is on the covers pictured above.

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 07:55:20 PM »
Anyone note the build date? Apparently when they were making the fake door tag they forgot Ford did’t use “I” for dates.  :o  The format is wrong as well.