Author Topic: '65 Mustang shake down cruise with DW trailer in tow  (Read 2069 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
'65 Mustang shake down cruise with DW trailer in tow
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:01:27 PM »
I took the Mustang on about an 80 mile drive today with the trailer in tow. All in all a pretty good trip. It never got over 175 deg and the interior temp was quite comfortable. Going to a larger radiator fan and putting that heat absorbing mat in the floor along with some heat wrap around that one header tube helped a bunch. Where the interior firewall was about 200 deg last year, it was 92 deg today. I know it was cooler out today but not that much cooler. I do need to address the brakes. They are pretty spongy. They either still have some air in them or the rear drums are a little loose. I think I may take the 4.30s out and put my 4.11 in it. Even with the GV 60mph is about all I want to go. At 65 it's turning 3000 rpm.  No real hickups though. Right now I feel confident that I'll get where I'm going. The trailer pulled pretty good too. However, if I had to do it again I think I would have mounted my slick carrier behind the trailer instead of in front. It puts a lot of weight on the tongue. I may look into that anyway. I have Mac Flow Path mufflers on it and it sure is loud! Definitely a drive with earplugs deal...oh well.  ;D 

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: '65 Mustang shake down cruise with DW trailer in tow
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 09:37:40 PM »
Glad your test run went well, Alan. You're obviously not from Minnesota, where they wait till the last week to finish things ;D

Do you think the 4.11's will hurt your times much? I have a feeling the between track trips this year will be shorter, but more traffic and headaches to deal with. Maybe you'd be fine with those 4.30s, but no way of knowing till the time is at hand. I'm curious how you put a hitch on your car?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »
Glad your test run went well, Alan. You're obviously not from Minnesota, where they wait till the last week to finish things ;D

Do you think the 4.11's will hurt your times much? I have a feeling the between track trips this year will be shorter, but more traffic and headaches to deal with. Maybe you'd be fine with those 4.30s, but no way of knowing till the time is at hand. I'm curious how you put a hitch on your car?
Well, in a way I am working at the last few weeks. I am still entered in Rocky Mountain Race Week which starts on June 15. It is looking more and more like I'll miss it...again. I have yet to make a pass in the car too.
My hitch is a home made arrangement. I replaced the stock rear frame rails with 2x3 tubing when I min tubbed it and have a fuel cell so the floor of the trunk is no longer the gas tank. My hitch mounts to the tubing and braces against the front of the trunk floor so it is pretty solid.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 10:14:26 AM »
I forgot you mini-tubbed it. Sure makes it easier than trying to put a hitch into the weak factory sheet metal!

Alan, if it's not too much of a bother, I'd be interested in seeing how you enclosed your trunk floor and how you access your fuel cell to put fuel in. Maybe you covered it before, but I don't recall seeing it. I'd like to do something similar to my car, so I don't have to isolate the rear compartment from the interior...per NHRA specs. I'm just not sure how to put fuel in without it being an internal fuel access. I was thinking of using sheet metal to enclose the trunk floor, then using some sort of trap door to access the top of the fuel cell.

If you're too busy to mess with posting how you did it, no problem, maybe we could chat later when you have time.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 05:31:09 PM »
I forgot you mini-tubbed it. Sure makes it easier than trying to put a hitch into the weak factory sheet metal!

Alan, if it's not too much of a bother, I'd be interested in seeing how you enclosed your trunk floor and how you access your fuel cell to put fuel in. Maybe you covered it before, but I don't recall seeing it. I'd like to do something similar to my car, so I don't have to isolate the rear compartment from the interior...per NHRA specs. I'm just not sure how to put fuel in without it being an internal fuel access. I was thinking of using sheet metal to enclose the trunk floor, then using some sort of trap door to access the top of the fuel cell.

If you're too busy to mess with posting how you did it, no problem, maybe we could chat later when you have time.

I originally made a kind of tub that fit in the original tank location to put the cell in so I could mount it lower in the trunk so as to accommodate some sort of spare tire. Keep in mind that when I started this project, DW was not a real consideration. I mounted a 12gal tank in it. When I decided to try and take it on DW I really needed a bigger tank. When I replaced the rear frame rails I also moved the trunk floor sheet metal also so the tank hole was smaller. I was unable to find a suitable tank to fit in the tub so I bolted another plate over the opening at the top of the hole. I left the tub in place so I could mount my fuel pump & filter to it.
 I think if I had to do it again I would have left the stock rails in place along with the tank location and had a sump welded in to the stock tank. But I got what I got. :) I also mounted a metal barrier behind the back seat and in the rear package tray to seal up the trunk from the interior. Here are few pics. I hope this helps

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 08:39:48 AM »
You're obviously not from Minnesota, where they wait till the last week to finish things ;D

There is PLENTY of time before Drag Week...

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
Show up to RMRW! I was planning on taking that day off and hanging out at the track to watch when they come through Bandimere. If weather is nice I might drive the Mustang down just to show up in some sort of style (be much more stylish to race!).
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »
Thanks for that, Alan. I was picturing your cell beneath the floor, not sure why. Hope you make it to the track to test her out soon.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe