Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1911 times)

GoeffsGalaxie

• View Profile
Introduction
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:23:05 PM »
Hello to all,
Being newly registered I thought I'd introduce myself and my project. Name is Geoff, I've been a professional mechanic for about 14 years now. I work on mostly vintage foreign cars, but a few years back I got the opportunity to assist with the restoration of a 1966 GT40 Mk2. I built the engine and transaxle, as well as a lot of help with final assembly and setup. Since then I've wanted to own something with an FE engine in it. So, last fall I bought a 1967 Galaxie fastback and drove it home from NC to NH.

It is an unremarkable car, but has lived a fairly good life. Some rusty spots, hood and trunk are the worst hit (inside skins) but floors, doors and frame are all sound.
Originally a 2v 390, with auto trans, as far as I can tell, the only options the car had when picked up at Gene's Ford, in Walla Walla WA was a power bench seat, and an AM radio. I've since removed the radio... found a real nice radio delete dash panel, and the radio didn't work anyway. The stock 390 was upgraded with an edlebrock intake, cam and carb around 10 years ago.

My plans for the car (which are well under way at this point), are a 4 speed conversion, change to a limited slip and 3.50 gears, and upgrade the front brakes to the period correct Kelsey Hayes 4 piston disc brakes. Obviously there are a number of minor "since you're here" items that will happen along that road.

Visually I am leaving the car fairly plain looking, and my personal ethos leans towards an NOS 1967 look, and parts when practical.

Long term plan is to rebuild and install the early '70s service replacement 427 I procured through work (was installed in a car that should have had a 428, so it became surplus when the proper engine was sourced and installed). The 427 is currently disassembled. It is a standard bore block with Lemans rods, medium riser heads, and the crank with the dollar sign cast into it (forget what that means, but I know it's the FoMoCo one to have). It will be topped by the Blue Thunder dual quad manifold, and a set of repro Holley carbs for an R code look.

Thanks to everyone that posts, and answers questions here. I've been here in the past gathering information, and looking for answers to some of the questions that have come up. I'll post a few more pics as the car goes back together in the next month or so.

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 09:43:40 PM »
Welcome nice ride ya got there, good luck with the build and I’m sure everyone will help if you have any questions.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 06:49:33 AM »
Welcome Geoff.
That’s a great car.
Good luck with your plans for it.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

428 GALAXIE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 03:16:12 PM »
Welcome.
Nice car.Like the color. ;D
Mikko

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 03:36:17 PM »
What a sleeper you got there. Love the look, just needs a 500 inch FE ..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

GoeffsGalaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 05:56:38 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!
Didn't see a category for this, but how about a little FE pron? This is the 427 that went into the GT40 I mentioned. It's sort of my project.... Right?

PS Sorry for the sizing problem on the pics, I'll fix that after work.   :o

PPS Resized, re-ordered, and added a pic of the engine in situ
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:25:59 PM by GoeffsGalaxie »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:57:49 AM »
That's cool! I wish I knew more about GT40 history. There's a local guy here who builds them. In his shop right now is GT/104 (4th concept car). I've been trying to find a polite way to invite myself up to see his shop  ;D
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com