Author Topic: Ford truck for towing  (Read 7078 times)

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: Ford truck for towing
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 01:16:17 PM »
I have been noodling on my next truck, want to achieve zero debt so looking older, thinking a 2008-2009 F250 6.4L diesel, specifically looking at these years because I want a 5speed and these are the last years.  How is it towing with a diesel/stick?  Assume it's a very useful combo. 

My truck is my second vehicle so want to keep cost down and pay cash, these would fit in my budget. 

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »
I have a 97 F250 extended cab, long bed with the 7.3 power stroke diesel, automatic transmission and 411 gears. Has a TS Performance Auto 6 chip in it.  It's a beast of a truck. Last towing I did with it was last fall and hauled in a 1950 Ford F3 pickup. The trailer I hauled it on weighs around 2000lbs.An F3 is no lightweight and driving here in WV got around 12 MPG which I think is pretty darn good.  My truck weighs around 7000lbs empty.
I have towed in the past with my old F150 and there is no comparison to towing with a big heavy truck. This F250 just feels so much safer and you don't even know something is behind you.  On the interstate just set the cruise and let it roll.
I have towed heavier stuff with it and mileage always seems to be around 12MPG which I think is pretty good.

garyv

hotrodford

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 03:33:12 PM »
I have a 2000 F250, extended cab, 8 ft. bed, 6 speed manual trans. 3.73 gear and DP 4 position tuner.  Unloaded, 6940 lbs +or-, gets 21mpg all day long, 69 Mustang on an open trailer-17 mpg, same car in a 24 ft. enclosed trailer 13 mpg.  The manual trans is fine to tow with.  There are times when I would like to have an auto-especially when backing the trailer.  If I drive the truck "around town", which I rarely do, I would much rather have an auto and not being an auto trans is probably the main reason I rarely drive it around town. 

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 10:34:34 PM »
I have a 97 F250 extended cab, long bed with the 7.3 power stroke diesel, automatic transmission and 411 gears. Has a TS Performance Auto 6 chip in it.  It's a beast of a truck. Last towing I did with it was last fall and hauled in a 1950 Ford F3 pickup. The trailer I hauled it on weighs around 2000lbs.An F3 is no lightweight and driving here in WV got around 12 MPG which I think is pretty darn good.  My truck weighs around 7000lbs empty.
I have towed in the past with my old F150 and there is no comparison to towing with a big heavy truck. This F250 just feels so much safer and you don't even know something is behind you.  On the interstate just set the cruise and let it roll.
I have towed heavier stuff with it and mileage always seems to be around 12MPG which I think is pretty good.

garyv
I had always thought that Ford dropped the manual transmissions in F series trucks even earlier than that. I don`t know what manual transmission a 6.4L diesel would come with, but my 99 F350 Dually has a ZF 5  speed, and I really like it. Compared to the old NP435 in my old 74 F350, the ZF has a much more usable 1rst gear, is fully syncronized and has an overdriven 5th.  My truck is not a diesel, rather a 6.8 V10, with 3.73 gears, and rather tall 236/85R16 tires, so I rarely use 5th when towing my 24 foot enclosed trailer, unless its dead flat, at freeway speeds. A much torquier diesel, or more rear gearing would make 5th more useable, although most OD transmissions have smaller, weaker gears for overdrive. No idea what type of ratios the 6 speed manuals have, or if they have 2 overdrives or not.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

mike7570

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 11:51:46 PM »
I have been noodling on my next truck, want to achieve zero debt so looking older, thinking a 2008-2009 F250 6.4L diesel, specifically looking at these years because I want a 5speed and these are the last years.  How is it towing with a diesel/stick?  Assume it's a very useful combo. 

My truck is my second vehicle so want to keep cost down and pay cash, these would fit in my budget.

We use Ford diesels at work, get the 6.7 much better than the two before it.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »

garyv
I had always thought that Ford dropped the manual transmissions in F series trucks even earlier than that. I don`t know what manual transmission a 6.4L diesel would come with, but my 99 F350 Dually has a ZF 5  speed, and I really like it. Compared to the old NP435 in my old 74 F350, the ZF has a much more usable 1rst gear, is fully syncronized and has an overdriven 5th.  My truck is not a diesel, rather a 6.8 V10, with 3.73 gears, and rather tall 236/85R16 tires, so I rarely use 5th when towing my 24 foot enclosed trailer, unless its dead flat, at freeway speeds. A much torquier diesel, or more rear gearing would make 5th more useable, although most OD transmissions have smaller, weaker gears for overdrive. No idea what type of ratios the 6 speed manuals have, or if they have 2 overdrives or not.

They went to a ZF 750 6spd with the 6.0-6.4L trucks, could get them up through 2010 but VERY hard to find.  I'd have to check tire height and run some numbers to see whether 3.73 or 4.10 would be best, but considering I'd only be towing ~6500lbs, I'm sure the 3.73 would be more than enough and would still make 5th (1:1) useable if I ever needed to tow out of overdrive.  Ratios look ok to me, bit of a gap 2-3 but guessing it's workable with a diesel.  My only experience towing was an NP435 and this would be loads better

ZF 6 SPEED RATIOS

5.79 : 1

3.30 : 1

2.10 : 1

1.31 : 1

1.00 : 1

0.72 : 1

5.23 : 1

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:46:06 AM by chilly460 »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
I hear all the good about diesel pulling, but I've also seen the $$$$$ involved when one breaks.  I don't have those skills so I prefer to stick with gas.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »
Let the flaming begin: But if you are really going to be hauling heavy loads get a Pre-Hippy Juice Cummins Diesel with a manual.  I have seen them all tow, and a Cummins with a stick is not going to be beat when you hit a mountain pulling 12,000 lbs.  The rest of the truck may rot away but the Cummins will still be running and pulling houses off their foundations.  ;D ;D ;D

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »
I have owned all of the Ford diesels, some for a while, some for short time. 

2000 7.3 - Great engine, not super fast, but makes power in the lower RPM range and you can work on it without pulling the cab and nose.  Some bothersone little issues, but very few.  Great mileage, doesn't need a lot of boost to make power, but really needs both a transmission improved kit and a mild reprogram to be a fun truck to tow.  Fuel mileage around town was about 15, towing hard to say because it depends on winds, weight, trailer, etc

2007 6.0 - I was not impressed, head gasket issues initially when new, but real issue is it needs boost to make the torque of a 7.3.  That being said, runs circles around a 7.3, but uses fuel to do it.  Still, relatively easy to work on, runs real hard when you get it right, also likes electronic tuning. Was about 14.5 mpg in town, watch the trend.  Had an issue with shimmy (6.0 guys call it death wobble, Ford took it back and I got a 2008)

2008 6.4 - I loved this truck, engine is fun, sounds great, quiet, does not pull much without boost.  Fuel hog....has a DPF which means you need to regen now and again, and until you get used to it, you won't believe how crazy it can sound.  You can eliminate the DPF with a tuner, can reporgram the tranny unlike earlier, pulls strong even stock.  Hard not to like the engine and tranny, but not good on fuel.  A solid 13.5 mpg in town, but the kicker is, can't even change a valve cover gasket without pulling the cab and nose.  Nice thing is, Ford designed the cab and nose to be unbolted from the bottom.  I had a hard time trading this truck, other than mileage I loved it, but  it was not easy to work on the engine the way they pack it in

2013 6.7 - I had this one for a week.  Real bummer too, lost money, but in the end happy.  Engine was a MONSTER, quiet as a gasser, like a quiet sewing machine, tranny was awesome, suspension was a bit more bouncy, but many different configurations and the 2008 had all the heavy F250 goodies and this one didn't.  The issue was the seats were miserable in 2 ways.  As a 230 lb guy, I was never comfortable, but more than that, the memory stuff and dash all started going crazy.  Seat would move driving down the road, pedals would move, gauges were wonky.  They said in 2013 that they were stumped, and offered me another truck.  Mileage seemed great, but also needed the cab removed for work.  That truck felt like a big block car, it was fast and fun, but jumped ship to see how it towed, I assume awesome

Where I ended up...

2013 6.7 Cummins - I wanted to hate this truck, but it is by far the best truck I have owned, has been all over the US and I see why they have a cult following.  not drag race fast like the Fords, but even with 11K on the bumper, the Fords don't out pull me on a hill. 16+ MPG in town, 22-24 empty on cruise on the highway, engine uses more compression and less boost and less RPM to make power, so it rarely shifts and you just hear a little whistle when the cruise tells it to hammer down.  I town in the passing lane when required and I just can't imagine getting rid of the truck.  Solid flat tappet, I closed the lash up as much as I could when new to get a bit more on top (I was used to the Fords that rev a LOT higher).  It clucks away at idle, but quiet inside.  I literally have done nothing to this truck other than basic maintenance, but if I do have to, I can reach and touch everything.  Regen you can't hear, ever know if it does it, but it does.  The Ram also is about a foot shorter and the seats are awesome, fits in the garage a little easier

One negative - it is very difficult to unnaturally program a Mopar.  You have to buy a tool to hack the computer, and then you have to buy the program and another programmer, but by hacking, you really leave tracks even if you return to stock for whatever reason.  That being said, the guys are making ridiculous torque.  Mine is an 850 ft lb version, and I think Cummins are approaching or at 950 ft lbs now, so I kept this one absolutely bone stock other than a little electronic box to make the throttle pedal act more linear and the valve lash, but even with that, I left the lash at the tight side of stock on the exhaust side and barely tighter than stock range on the intake, to make sure the valves had time to dissipate heat when towing

I hated to jump ship, and intended to switch back as not only a long time Ford guy, but also long time Ford diesel guy, but I can't imagine myself in a different truck after this Ram
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:27:37 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 11:32:54 AM »
I hated to jump ship, and intended to switch back as not only a long time Ford guy, but also long time Ford diesel guy, but I can't imagine myself in a different truck after this Ram

Welcome to the dark side Ross!  ;D ;D ;D  I like the pre-Hippy versions better but only because I am simplistic.  I don't own one but sold, drove just about all diesels.  My good friend has had every iteration of Cummins and had the 7.3 Ford and 6.0 Ford.  Pulling a tri-axle toy hauler loaded through the hills you can see the Cummins beats them.  He can drop a gear(manual), keep the Cummins in the sweet spot and pass every one going up hill.  He pushes his stuff hard and 0 issues where as the Fords were slower and the 6.0 gave him the same fits.

I called BS on how much better the Cummins would pull until I got to experience it in person.  They are very very good engines and the best for pulling.  Something about that big inline 6, you just can't stop it.

His '19 model is getting 22 plus mpg if he babies it.  Must be nice, for me my V10 states the mpg on the fender and likes to spit teeth(spark plugs) at bystanders. 

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 11:50:25 AM »
I had a 97 F250 4x4 7.3, bone stock, and was very impressed with the towing power. Now have an 01 F350 4x4 duallie, 4 door cab Lariat, so about as heavy as possible, enough so that it is rated a Medium truck, not a Light truck, so no cat converter from the factory. It has a simple +100hp program and auto trans electronic shift kit, with 4" exhaust and exhaust brake, and just a ridiculous performer. You can stall it up and it will roast all four rear tires and come around sideways, tends to startle folks lol. Straight down the freeway empty it will get 23 mpg, and the best towing thing was when I had my 26K rated, 8 wheel backhoe trailer, went to Stockton and picked up a Farmall SMD and came back, and got 19.6 for the loop- one sweet running critter. Just about to hit 300K, replaced the water pump and alternator, that's it, just keeps chuggin'. One thing folks forget, just being able to pull the trailer isn't all, a half ton will move most car trailers, but the stability and braking are a big part of it. Hoping I can keep this one forever

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
[quoteOne thing folks forget, just being able to pull the trailer isn't all, a half ton will move most car trailers, but the stability and braking are a big part of it.][/quote]

Well said! Moving it on flat ground can be done with gears and 5 HP Briggs, but if you can't stop it or control it bad things are going to happen.

My wore out 360 in the Highboy pulled my RV better than my V10. But with no trailer brakes the drum brakes HATED it! The newer truck, no big deal stopping it. Around 6000 lbs.