Author Topic: Making progress, and my first 11 second time slip...  (Read 5449 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Making progress, and my first 11 second time slip...
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 07:55:55 AM »
AH, the ol header tethers.  What a SCAM that was.  Had to be SFI rated, $250 worth!!!  Please!!

A couple $2 muffler hangers and a band clamp and my collectors aren't falling off.

(though I did loose one about 10 yrs ago.  Couldn't believe it actually, but it did happen.  Both tabs broke and it fell off about half track.  Took some finesse to get the tubes opened up to make it fit again to finish the weekend.)
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 10:09:34 AM »
Thanks, Dale. I could NOT be happier with the Jerico. It's changed the whole attitude of the car on the track. I wish I had done it years ago!

I don't even get the header collector thing. I wasn't aware it took so long to clean the track after losing one, or that they were such a danger to life and limb. :P Maybe a track worker burnt his fingers while picking one up? Maybe cut himself? Apparently only the NHRA understands the need for them. ::)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 07:35:38 PM »
As I recall.. the tether thing came about after some dragster had one come off and his back tire spit it rearward into a crew or other person who shouldn't have been standing directly behind the car in the first place. Like many, I used to use a couple short fairly stiff springs to hold mine on and even a header destroying wheelie never caused the collector to come off.

Anyway, it was tethers all around and one company had them in stock and SFI rated even before the rule came out. I ran a set for awhile and guess what hits the pavement first. Ceramic coating gets scratched and the tether clamps bent up. Took them off since no one ever looked nor asked.