Author Topic: Making progress, and my first 11 second time slip...  (Read 5457 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Making progress, and my first 11 second time slip...
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 12:07:35 PM »
Awesome Doug your really taking some big chunks out of those time slips. Feels good don’t it. It’s nice to see all the hard work paying off

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 01:05:00 PM »
There were a couple of oil delays at Saturdays events.

Stupid automatic race cars!!!!   LOL!!!

The diaper shouldn't be too horrible on a mustang.  The crossmember under the motor comes out, right?  As long as you don't have a real deep sump pan, one of the std diapers should fit.

Buddy gave me a diaper, but with that deep front sump, I'll never get it over the tube crossmember under the pan.  If I could get a diaper made with a sump built in it might fit easier?  Though every time it wacks the pan when it stands up too far, it will rip the diaper open>  No win situation.  I suppose I need to build a rub rail under there to hit the ground instead?  It really has taken its toll on my pan/headers.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »
Yes, the crossmember comes out. I think race headers are what would be the major pain, getting in the road. I've been thinking about making a custom crossmember because the factory tube crossmember really doesn't do much since it's crushed on the ends and doesn't have a solid flat surface that meets up with the frame. A square tube would be more beneficial I would think.

And like you, I've been thinking about a 'skid' plate to protect the bottom. I imagine as I get things sorted out and add some horsepower that the car will start standing up. I'd really like to avoid crushing headers and oil pans! That's also why I asked a while back about headers that fit with a road race style pan with baffles, to keep that stuff tucked up as high as possible. Putting extensions on the rebound bumpers will also help.

I'm curious, do you guys use some sort of spacer under your pump pick-up, to keep from pushing the pan up and blocking it from getting oil to the pump? Seems like that would be an issue the first time the pan gets pushed up. Some sort of spacer would at least guarantee that the engine doesn't get starved of oil.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »
Awesome Doug your really taking some big chunks out of those time slips. Feels good don’t it. It’s nice to see all the hard work paying off

Joe, yes, it feels pretty good to make some real progress. I wasn't expecting that big of a drop in ET though!
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 03:16:47 PM »
Great results Doug, glad the work has been worth it, and paying off. As we’ve discussed before, we knew you had the power.

My home track, Brainerd International Raceway went to Tru-Start right away, and I remember posting on here about it a few years ago. Just something for everyone that goes to the track to be aware of, since it’s a mixed bag as far as what each track does.

For those who either are required to use an engine diaper, or just want to, check into the Russler II. I’ve posted in the past my racing buddy had to put one on his ‘67 Mustang when he stepped up the engine a few years ago and started running in the 9’s. The chassis shop that did some of his work custom ordered his from Russler. They will add heat resistant material in areas where your headers are close. His Mustang has the stock style front suspension and shock towers, and stock lower bolt in crossmember, along with a big Moroso oil pan, and the diaper fits great. I’ve also seen many people on the Moparts page recommend the Russler II also. The price they start at is pretty reasonable too.

www.russlerii.com

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 03:57:10 PM »
There were a couple of oil delays at Saturdays events.

Stupid automatic race cars!!!!   LOL!!!

The diaper shouldn't be too horrible on a mustang.  The crossmember under the motor comes out, right?  As long as you don't have a real deep sump pan, one of the std diapers should fit.

Buddy gave me a diaper, but with that deep front sump, I'll never get it over the tube crossmember under the pan.  If I could get a diaper made with a sump built in it might fit easier?  Though every time it wacks the pan when it stands up too far, it will rip the diaper open>  No win situation.  I suppose I need to build a rub rail under there to hit the ground instead?  It really has taken its toll on my pan/headers.

LOL - it's almost never a trans, usually a motor.  Probably 2 out of every 10 will be trans.  Trans fluid is not that bad to clean up - UNLESS the guy drives the entire length of the track. 

I don't know about an FE, but the Hookers on the Mustang with a 351C = no diaper.  Same on the Falcon - pipes hug the motor too tight to keep the blanket from burning.  Coated pipes and a kevlar+aluminized blanket might work for a while.  Falcon doesn't have a removeable cross member so that's another issue. 

I think TruSTART will have to be a division decision, agreed on by the track operators.  Accutime has it available if you want to pay for it.  Accutime Rusty wants big bucks for the update from what I understand.  Compulink had it first AFAIK.  Same as our new for 2019 Pro Footbrake class.  Rule - no trans brake in any footbrake car, no button on the wheel allowed.  That class was "no box" up through the end of last year.  Voted on by the track ops.  There are still No Box races, just not track points races nor the division finals.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 04:18:48 PM »
Just think how bad the Mopar boys have it with Diapers , many of the 60's Mopar's have the steering linkage going through the aftermarket oil pan on a lot of models , not sure what they have to do ?

Congrats on the ET improvement !!

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »
Thanks for the link, Kevin. I'd consider a diaper regardless; If something catastrophic did happen, I can't think of anything worse than blowing oil under the rear tires at speed. Although the exhaust is probably more often the culprit. I also think I like the term "ballistic jacket" better. It sounds more manly..lol  ;D
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 07:48:17 AM »

LOL - it's almost never a trans, usually a motor.  Probably 2 out of every 10 will be trans.  Trans fluid is not that bad to clean up - UNLESS the guy drives the entire length of the track. 

I'm just a stick guy poking at the automatic racers.  That is who oiled down the track>  Not the stick guys(who get blamed for most).  Actually the second car was the transmission.  About the 1/8 miles mark it left go(something) and a huge cloud followed the car.  It wasn't horrible as down time was very minimal.  It was just a 11.50 car(index class).   I was kind chuckling as the driver had someone at the line getting them in the water, burnout, walked up and found the beams for them, blah, blah, blah.  I'm sorry, but that is just a bit overboard for that kind of car.  Rookie driver?  Not sure.  Family racing thing?  Could be.
Larry

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 06:16:12 PM »
Congratulations, Doug. Well done!!

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »
Nice work, Doug!
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 07:20:23 AM »
Thanks, Alan and Jared.

Alan, I could finally give you a run for your money in the Galaxie, but you had to go and up the ante with your Mustang. Now I've got to step up my game again...lol
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
I'm just a stick guy poking at the automatic racers.  That is who oiled down the track>  Not the stick guys(who get blamed for most).  Actually the second car was the transmission.  About the 1/8 miles mark it left go(something) and a huge cloud followed the car.  It wasn't horrible as down time was very minimal.  It was just a 11.50 car(index class).   I was kind chuckling as the driver had someone at the line getting them in the water, burnout, walked up and found the beams for them, blah, blah, blah.  I'm sorry, but that is just a bit overboard for that kind of car.  Rookie driver?  Not sure.  Family racing thing?  Could be.

;D  Yea, when they go the do make a mess.  The staging routine for a 11.5 car sounds fun.  Could be family, I've see that with dad and new kid.  I've also seen No Prep level entourage for 13 second rides.  As long as everyone is having fun, that's the bottom line for sure. 

For cars that can't fit a diaper, it has to be a catch pan.  It's still sporadic as far as a rule.  They can and do save a bunch of cleanup time during a race - nobody like to sit in staging for an hour while the crew tries to mop up 400' of synthetic oil.  Crew's not too hot on it either.  More important, having seen the damage from roll overs at even 85 MPH, anything that helps keep the car under control saves skin and equipment. 

57 lima bean

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »
Great MPH Doug.You wont loose much when your 60' is quicker.Diapers can save your azz.You never want to get crossed up in your own do do.

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »
Firstly, a big WAY TO GO to Doug for running some great numbers. Don' t ya just love a Jerico  :)

Now I'm going to weigh in on the Diaper debate since I have lost a couple motors to rid failure but I think this is another knee jerk reaction to what isn't a huge problem anymore. Yes, stuff can and will blow up but with new aftermarket components it just doesn't happen as often. I also agree about the auto trans or what about spitting out a rear. I've sat and waited while a lot of that stuff was cleaned up yet no Diaper mandatory for either. I'm fine if you want to run one for your own personal well being but it seems this is the cheap and easy way for tracks that won't invest in proper cleanup equipment to pass the buck.

Some tracks ban synthetic oil because it's hard to clean up. Well, if some genius can invent synthetic then surely they can make a cleaner. And don't get me started on collector tethers. No one checks, and I've seen more wheels and driveshafts come off in my lifetime than collectors.