Author Topic: Trick Flow heads....  (Read 24841 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Trick Flow heads....
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »
Food nfor thought . Why not use a longer Valve ?
\

As discussed earlier, the TFS head already uses a longer valve. I'm no expert, but it seems that making it even longer will cause other issues, like having super tall valve springs or having to shim them up to the point of not being feasible, or too much stem sticking up out of the guide, causing flex and wear issues.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »

IMO, the stand pads are just too high.  My gut tells me if I were to whack .200" off of these Comps, it would start to push things back to where they need to be. 

As one of the biggest problems with running big cams and springs has been the 4-bolt attachment points that were never designed for that load, especially in aluminum, the taller and presumably much stronger pads would seem to be a big improvement, if you can make up the height difference elsewhere (shorter stands). You seem to be fixated on one (conventional) solution, cutting the pads, which would unnecessarily take away the strength advantage, when the height can fixed without giving up the extra strength. I would imagine one or more of the established sources that supply aluminum rocker stands could come up with a kit, with some input from the major players,  with the proper height to work with the TF heads, including the end stands. Gotta get outside of the box and look from a different angle. Personally, I would work pretty hard at finding another way than cutting the pads down and giving up the strength

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2019, 09:59:57 AM »
Does the TFS box include (long) valves?  If so, when you cut (whatever), do you just throw those long valves out and have to buy new ones?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2019, 10:02:31 AM »

IMO, the stand pads are just too high.  My gut tells me if I were to whack .200" off of these Comps, it would start to push things back to where they need to be. 

As one of the biggest problems with running big cams and springs has been the 4-bolt attachment points that were never designed for that load, especially in aluminum, the taller and presumably much stronger pads would seem to be a big improvement, if you can make up the height difference elsewhere (shorter stands). You seem to be fixated on one (conventional) solution, cutting the pads, which would unnecessarily take away the strength advantage, when the height can fixed without giving up the extra strength. I would imagine one or more of the established sources that supply aluminum rocker stands could come up with a kit, with some input from the major players,  with the proper height to work with the TF heads, including the end stands. Gotta get outside of the box and look from a different angle. Personally, I would work pretty hard at finding another way than cutting the pads down and giving up the strength

I've never advocated cutting the head pads.  I always cut the bottoms of the rocker stands.   What you quoted was me saying I would cut .200" off the bottoms of the rocker arm stands, which is what I've traditionally done so far.  Cutting the pads on the heads would cause more problems, like moving the oil feed hole around, etc.

I also would never advocate a solid roller with a 4-bolt mounting setup in aluminum heads.  Recipe for disaster. 

The TFS valves are +.100" over stock length.  I use those valves.  If I didn't use those valves, the rocker stands would have to be cut down even more.  Using an even longer valve could pose more issues in other spots, such as pushrod clearance, etc.

This post was not really to come up with different solutions to the problem, it was just a warning to those thinking that they can buy the heads, bolt them on out of the box, and use whatever rocker arm setup they wanted. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »
What's the most you could cut off of the stands?  Why wouldn't you cut them down to the bare minimum?

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2019, 08:15:58 PM »
I pulled the rockers off mine tonight for a double check. I only have maybe 50 miles on the heads. The contact pattern looks pretty good to me but I hope the experts will chime in. I didn't put anything the valves to check the contact for these pics, this just the bare valve. I am using Dove HD roller tip rockers.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:19:26 PM by AlanCasida »

temarey

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2019, 10:25:12 PM »
It looks like there is a difference in rocker arm pivot center lines between dove hd and comp

428 GALAXIE

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2019, 11:54:06 PM »
Happen to took any pic at zero lift
Mikko

mmason

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2019, 09:38:30 AM »
This is a TF head using Harland sharp rockers with needle bearings. The cam is a comp 308R with a .674 valve opening. The harland sharp is what TF recommends in their  instructions that come with the heads.

Michael Mason

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2019, 09:57:29 AM »
Mike, how's about a pic or two of the actual sweep on the valves stems?
Bob Maag

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2019, 11:38:39 AM »
I usually jack those Sharps up about .200 on other heads.  They look pretty good on there, LOL.  Those Comps must have a shorter tip length than the Sharps.
Blair Patrick

6569fe

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »
Howdy guys,
I asked about wear pattern a few weeks back and got the answers I needed,
but this has been extremely informative. Looked at the new Blue Thunder heads
I have to see if they had room to machine and it appears they do. Do the Edelbrock
heads have room to machine or do the stands still need to be machined on them also
or is this a case by case thing?
Thanks

plovett

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »
Is 0.200" of stud engagement critical, or even significant?  Like as said, for high pressure solid roller cams you probable want more studs anyway, right?

paulie

Ghoughton

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2019, 05:47:10 PM »
Interesting shot of the Harland Sharps. I went from Dove HD to Harland Sharps on Edelbrock
Heads. With a .760 lift I raised the sharps .125” in comparison to the Doves.  Maybe Trick Flow designed their pad height around the Harland Sharp rockers......

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2019, 09:16:19 PM »
Here are some better pics of mine. This is with about .640 lift. The first pic is closed, second open and third pattern.