Author Topic: Trick Flow heads....  (Read 24849 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Trick Flow heads....
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »
I ordered a complete, assembled head from Trick Flow and rockers from Comp.

Got the cylinder head in, popped a couple of springs off, put checking springs on, then bolted the rockers on. 

I'll pop up these photos and you all can discuss.  I have my own thoughts, but I'd like to hear everyone else's first.

Initial position pictures reflect zero lift.  The pattern shown reflects a simulated full lift of around the .800-.850" lift range, with about .125" retainer/seal clearance.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2019, 08:08:36 PM »
Not much to discuss really. It's pretty obvious the geometry is way off and the roller tip is right to the edge of the valve stem at lift, according to the wear pattern. Exactly what was pointed out earlier.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2019, 08:11:53 PM »
I've had FE's since 1966.  That is the worst rocker witness mark I have ever seen.
But then again,
I'm just a old Georgia redneck.
Woody

plovett

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2019, 08:13:33 PM »
Looks pretty bad to me.  No doubt a person could make several dyno pulls for a magazine article without a catastrophic issue. 

JMO,

paulie

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2019, 08:17:49 PM »
Let me throw this in....

The pattern is to the intake side with these rockers.  The issues I’ve seen before with T&D rockers and factory rockers show the pattern to the extreme exhaust side.

Think about why it would want to start at the center and roll toward the intake side.  See if you see what I’m thinking.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2019, 09:06:10 PM »
What is the angle of the adjuster ball and the pushrod?  Looks to be exaggerated, which would indicate that the stands are too high, or the pad too high, or the stands need to be cut down to bring into specifications.  I stand by my earlier statement, just because something works does not mean it is right.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2019, 11:18:17 PM »
Yep, I still feel that it would be much better to shorten the stands han cut down the pads, and keep the extra strength of the extra beef and thread engagement. Just gotta think outside the box- like this

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2019, 04:47:24 AM »
Joe, I wasn't really paying attention to the adjuster end. 

In an ideal situation, the rocker will start out near the center of the valve, roll outward a little and then back to where it was at full lift.  You're aiming for a minimal contact patch. 

In this situation, the rocker starts out near the center of the valve, but all further movement is directed to the intake side of the valve stem. 

IMO, the stand pads are just too high.  My gut tells me if I were to whack .200" off of these Comps, it would start to push things back to where they need to be. 

I did a very rough measurement with calipers and the the Comp Cams rocker tip length is right around 1.500".  Stand height is 1.400". 

Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhvZkI-k8us
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2019, 05:16:18 AM »
This geometri should give less lift if i am thinking right

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »
Nice demo, clearly needs the stands cut as many of us have said.

As you and I discussed before, it'd be nice if they could fix the issue AND keep the thread engagement, but if they won't, lopping .200 off really is an easy fix for a good flowing head

BTW, both sets of your rockers really came together nicely on the two 461s, with very different cam profiles, can't speak highly enough of them
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:59:16 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fastf67

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2019, 07:12:38 AM »
There are variables from different manufactures I would think, for example: In jays drawing he has the roller tip center, the push rod center and the shaft center on one plain. If you were to lower the shaft say .300 thousandths down from the imaginary line between the roller and the push rod you now have a greater distance from shaft to roller/push rod. You have not changed the ratio but would need to shorten the stands to keep correct geometry. Mixing rockers and stands? Do all rocker arm manufactures use one standard offset of the shaft to the imaginary line between roller and push rod? One stand height? How well are measurements held? Brent would be the man to know as he has hours developing a rocker that works. I'm sure the builders here have cut different amounts off stands. I look at it as you always degree a cam, always check rocker geometry and push rod lengths. There is no bolt on and go heads from big box stores, not even for chebby guys. Love the idea of extra material for strength and stability in the valvetrain. Shorter the stand, less deflection. Imo

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »
[quote author=fastf67  I look at it as you always degree a cam, always check rocker geometry and push rod lengths. There is no bolt on and go heads from big box stores, not even for chebby guys. Love the idea of extra material for strength and stability in the valvetrain. Shorter the stand, less deflection. Imo
[/quote]

This..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2019, 07:27:48 AM »
At first I wondered if the rocker design may be playing into it, but those measurements you gave of the 1.5 tip length and 1.4 stand height seem to be about right, at least on a quick check of a stock rocker and stand I just looked at.

What are your thoughts as to why this one is erring on the side of the intake and not the exhaust, which seemed to be what the others experienced? Either way, it's still a horrible pattern...but good enough for a magazine build, I guess.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2019, 08:38:59 AM »
Food nfor thought . Why not use a longer Valve ?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2019, 08:53:11 AM »
Maybe 1/2 see's?

Cut the stands .100 and the pads .100?

Lotsa work but...................
Bob Maag