Author Topic: Racing seats, any advice on what to look for?  (Read 6964 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Racing seats, any advice on what to look for?
« on: March 02, 2019, 03:52:06 PM »
I've been looking at racing seats for my Mustang. Holy moly are there a BUNCH of them! And prices are all over the universe. I'd like to upgrade my seats for several reasons: some much needed weight savings, compatibility with a 5 point harness, compatibility with a back mount for the roll bar, and of course safety reasons.

First question, has anyone been to Jegs or Summits showrooms, and do they have examples in their showroom to try fit and comfort? I really hate the thought of spending money on a crapshot picture on a website. Trying them out in person seems like the only way to know for sure. And since my car gets traveled quite a bit during Drag Week, a basic bucket with 1" of foam padding isn't going to cut it. I'm gonna want something with at least a little comfort.

Second question: Any advice on what to stay away from, what to look for, names to avoid etc?

My car is stick shifted, and many of the options out there seem to have high side and shoulder bolsters. I have to stay away from the deep shoulder/head bolsters or I won't be able to turn around and see when backing up. Remember, it'll be street used. But I also have concerns about the deeper bolsters in the lower section interfering with my ability to shift. Any comments from experience would greatly be appreciated.

Here's an example of one I was looking at. Any thoughts on a seat of this type, good/bad/stupid?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mst-572014/overview/

One of the downsides to that seat seems to be that the shoulder measurements will need to be spot on for proper shoulder belt placement, since there is no leeway in the opening like many other seats available.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:56:48 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Racing seats, any advice on what to look for?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 04:58:11 PM »
I could only speak from my own experiance.
but many of those seats are to narrow ower
the shoulders and those sideflaps interfere
with shifting. My tip is, dont buy a seat
without test sitting it for a while try to move
the arms. I know embarrasing sitting in the
seatstore airshifting and doing enginesounds but.... ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

62Falcon390

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 06:19:55 PM »
these are kinda what I got in my Falcon, super comfortable and great support

http://www.ruggedridge.com/sport-front-seat-reclinable-black-denim-13405-15.html

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »
Heo, exactly why I want to try one first. From all the pictures I could find of Summits showroom, there were NO seats anywhere around. Maybe they will let you try one they have in stock, but most all say they are direct shipped from the manufacturer (at least from Summits website)  ::)

Falcon, since the seat back needs to be mounted to the roll bars cross bar, reclining seats are a waste of money and weight for me. I found lots that looked good for what I wanted, but they were nearly all reclining, for normal street cars.

I love the factory seats in the Mach 1s, but I don't think they'll work good for a 5 point harness, plus they have weak locking mechanisms for the backs. What I really don't get are all the reclining seats that are made to work with harnesses. You have to mount the shoulder harnesses to a rear bar, so how exactly do you recline the seat then? Seems stupid if you ask me.

I should make it to the FER&R this year, so I'm hoping to check a bunch of them out there. Hopefully some guys won't mind me sitting in their car.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:43:35 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

62Falcon390

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »
guess I misunderstood, sorry.

I have a full cage and 5 point harness in my car. I have room for about 4 inches to recline, but I like sitting upright and close. my belt is attached to the cross bar on my hoop.

FElony

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 08:49:11 PM »
Maybe you can find a shop like this within range of you. Maybe one or two tips in this vid that will help.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugWuTk-A5Fw

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 09:22:32 PM »
Doug I will see what seat my buddy has in his car, it’s comfortable, I have sat in it myself but I can’t remember if the sides permit easy shifting room. I will get back to you tomorrow.

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »
Kirkey!

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 09:35:36 PM »
I have Kirkeys in my car.  They are light and well made - and I shift OK with them.  But they are not particularly street comfortable and I am considering swapping them out since I go racing only a couple times per year anymore.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
The fiberglass racing buckets are not real comfortable... i've been on a 2000+ mile trip in a hard riding car with those and won't again.
 The Kirkeys may be only slightly better. That Mastercraft seat looks nice, those are popular in Jeeps. I think they come in a few different widths. The narrowest that you fit in will be best. If you are of a size where the buffet manager is frantically hiding the expensive food when you show up you may need one custom made. Same deal if the girlfriend/hitchhiker is a little rubenesque.
 Of course too small a right side seat may work to your advantage to weed out those OrcaBetty types if they aren't your style..

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 11:06:18 PM »
Corbeau has a street/strip seat that is only about 12 pounds, cost ~$200.00 or did, and is very comfortable, has access to shoulder harnesses, and floor strap.  Adjustable seat track is extra.  The only down side is the seat back is not adjustable for street.   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »
What I do know is the cheaper, blow molded seats NEED a rear support installed from the roll bar.  I was told this at Columbus one year.   They offer "SFI" rated ones, thus more expensive because the base is more substantial and can support the seat without anything in the back(so it can't break off at the mounts).

Beyond that, maybe a call to Jeg's and see if they have some in stock that you can stop and look at.  Or is everything not in stock?  Maybe Summit, but that's a haul for you.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 10:04:23 AM »
Falcon, you didn't misunderstand, I just wasn't real clear in what I was looking for.

FElony, I watched that video just yesterday. In fact, I scoured YouTube for any vids I could find. There weren't all that many. Kinda surprising since aftermarket seats are so popular these days.

I looked at near every manufacturer out there. Of course after seeing so many, it just leaves you more confused and undecided. The Kirkeys are hugely popular with the dedicated race crowd, but they do NOT look comfortable at all, at least for any decent amount of driving.

Tom, those seats do seem to be aimed at, and are popular with the off-road crowd. So I knew they were built more for comfort, at least somewhat. Measurements are important for sure. Thankfully, almost all seat makers give you lots of measurements to check. I'm a thin guy, and some makers actually have options of going 1"-3" wider, and since my son is quite a bit bigger than I am, I think a wider seat for the passenger would be necessary. That's another good option when I was looking. I also want something that will look decent in the car. Yeah, I want my cake and eat it too :P

Joe, I have been looking at the Corbeau's. They seem to have a good balance of options, comfort and at a reasonable price. I do need something that is mountable in the rear, for the roll bar, per NHRA specs, and it looks like they are. Just wish I could find a place to try them out.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 10:38:52 AM »
i feel your pain looking for a good comfortable race seat.i have a crooked tail bone from driving a forklift in reverse for 33 years.you have to drive backwards because you cant see over the load on your forks and it is safer to drive in reverse in case of a sudden stop your load wont fall off the forks.but anyway i have to drive sitting on one hip or the other.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »
The last time I was in Reno, I stopped by Summit and did exactly what you're talking about, Doug. I parked my butt in every seat they had. Probably 10 different seats. I was surprised at how uncomfortable some of the big dollar seat were. Of course I'm not the size of Mario Andretti either. Closer to Junior Johnson really. So I was glad I tried them out.

I ended up buying a pair of the Scat Sportsman's:

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsPageCmd?Ntt=scat+racing+seat&requestYear=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&year=&make=&model=&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:22:36 PM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah