Author Topic: Racing seats, any advice on what to look for?  (Read 6957 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Racing seats, any advice on what to look for?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 12:24:57 PM »
Corbeau, recaro, Sparco and other "Rally" seats are comfortable
When you find the right modell. A rally is many miles,
often on bumpy roads in high speed with stiff suspension
see the clip and you understand. their asses would be purple
with a uncomfortable chair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TotWB42SPQ
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 12:27:39 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
Larry, I was going to call Jegs because I can't find anything that shows what they have in stock. I just know that most of the info from Jegs and Summit says that the seats are direct shipped from the manufacturer. But that doesn't mean they don't have some in the showroom to try out. I'd make the trip to Summit if they had a decent variety to try out. Better than spending money on something I'm not happy with, because I don't know how the return policy is on direct ship stuff...and the return shipping would NOT be cheap if they did allow it! I have been trying to concentrate on SFI and FIA rated seats, for the reasons you mentioned about quality and safety.

KMcCullah, those seats look pretty nice and don't have the super deep bolsters that would interfere with shifting. I briefly checked them out before but saw that they're recliners and don't have a mounting area on the rear for the roll bar. They have fixed back seats, but not in a style I was wanting. If they made that Sportsman series in fixed back with a mount in the back, I'd seriously consider them.

Heo, I checked all those manufacturers out and have a couple of them on my list. Rally driving certainly needs something more comfortable. I just want to be able to try something out, or at least get some positive feedback before spending upwards of $800-$1200 for a pair! :o
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »
Doug he does have kirkeys, and although he’s running an automatic he says he would have room if he had a stick. He thinks they are comfortable but then again he’s 27. When I was 27 I could drive across country in a horse and wagon. At my age comfort would matter.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
Doug he does have kirkeys, and although he’s running an automatic he says he would have room if he had a stick. He thinks they are comfortable but then again he’s 27. When I was 27 I could drive across country in a horse and wagon. At my age comfort would matter.

Ohhh at 27 i thought the springs in my Bates sadel gave the unsprung frame fantastic comfort ;D ;D
today i get backpain by looking at a unsprung motorcycle

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 06:38:36 PM »
Yeah, when I was 27 I could backpack all day and be comfortable sleeping on the ground. Now I carry an inflatable pad..lol
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 07:27:26 PM »
Yeah, when I was 27 I could backpack all day and be comfortable sleeping on the ground. Now I carry an inflatable pad..lol
Strange, since at 27 i had no fat and could sleep on a concrete floor
now with fat one think it would bolster some. But tried sleeping in
the tent in just the sleaping bag. I gave up instantly i could feel a
3D map of the ground on my body ;D ;D

Yes the seats are not cheap. No fun to buy a pair and find out they was
not right for you

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 11:03:38 AM »
Larry, I was going to call Jegs because I can't find anything that shows what they have in stock. I just know that most of the info from Jegs and Summit says that the seats are direct shipped from the manufacturer. But that doesn't mean they don't have some in the showroom to try out. I'd make the trip to Summit if they had a decent variety to try out. Better than spending money on something I'm not happy with, because I don't know how the return policy is on direct ship stuff...and the return shipping would NOT be cheap if they did allow it!

If you come north, let me know.
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 02:51:57 PM »

LOL-  then you don't want to drive my had tail dragster around the pits.  Piece of fiberglass, 1/2" foam pad and no suspension.

On topic - I've been sitting in the standard fiberglass Summit racing seat for 30 years, no problem.  I prefer this style because I'm tall and it routes the shoulder belts up high enough not to trap my shoulders and cause spine compression

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2100c/overview/

Seat cover
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2111

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
After I moved the last time, my neighbor was building a hard tail chopper.  Since I moved in and had welders and machines I was indispensable.   After he finished it, he rode it for a few years going ALL over the state on it.  I just cringed every time he fired it up and took off for the day.  Sounded good, but my back hurts just thinking about it.  He has since moved away, but not far.  He now has a new HD with air ride!!!  He's 60 ish now.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 03:22:39 PM »
LOL-  then you don't want to drive my had tail dragster around the pits.  Piece of fiberglass, 1/2" foam pad and no suspension.

Dealing with an uncomfortable seat for a few minutes around the pits or down the track wouldn't even concern me, but driving 1000 miles in a week is a bit of a different story. The same applies to sleeping on the ground for 6 hours..lol  If the car saw no street duty (remember....Drag Week), I'd have no issues with a lightweight Kirkey or similar seat.

Larry, springer seats on a hardtail make a HUGE difference. Much like our old trucks where nearly all the comfort comes from bouncy seats. You know, the kind that bounce your head off the roof when you hit a big bump..lol
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 04:25:14 PM »
The fiberglass racing buckets are not real comfortable... i've been on a 2000+ mile trip in a hard riding car with those and won't again.
 The Kirkeys may be only slightly better. That Mastercraft seat looks nice, those are popular in Jeeps. I think they come in a few different widths. The narrowest that you fit in will be best. If you are of a size where the buffet manager is frantically hiding the expensive food when you show up you may need one custom made. Same deal if the girlfriend/hitchhiker is a little rubenesque.
 Of course too small a right side seat may work to your advantage to weed out those OrcaBetty types if they aren't your style..

The passenger seat in the Torino is an inch wider than the driver seat.  Don't you ever tell my wife!

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »
Was doing some work on a Chopper including a new rear fender
This was a loong time ago when the evo engine was new. So the
owner said test drive it and say what you think. This was with a
15 inch car tire, low, with a sprung bates seat no rearfender on for
the moment i hit a big bump landed to far back the tire got a grip
of the ass of my jeans pulled me down the springs sent me back
upp, tire pulled down, and repeat several times  so i came back
with torn jeans and tireburns on my ass . ;D ;D ;D ;D

winr1

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 08:55:41 PM »
Hi -jack if I may ...

Any know of racing bench  seats ??

Or lightweight bench seats ??

Ricky.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 09:33:57 PM »
Ricky, Corbeau has a line of bench seats. They're mainly aimed at Baja style trucks and Jeeps, but they're the only seat manufacturer that I saw that even offered bench seats. Might be worth a look. I briefly checked them out as I'd like to replace the bench seat in my F350. They're flat on the bottom, but don't think that would be an issue in a truck since it needs to be raised with a mounting bracket anyway.

https://corbeau.com/bench-seats.html
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

winr1

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 10:00:24 PM »
Thanks Doug

I did not see any wide enough for my 65 F100

I could go as wide as 64" on the bottom and 60.5 on the back

That would be a bit wider than the factory bench in the 65

Ricky.