Author Topic: CVR Electric Water Pump Adapters for the FE  (Read 102380 times)

afret

Re: CVR Electric Water Pump Adapters for the FE
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2013, 03:51:06 PM »
We know you have a full plate so no need to rush.  What are your plans for Drag Week this year?  Test and tune last year's combos in the spring to get them fine tuned and go with them?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »
I'm not sure yet, it kind of depends on how some of my projects work out over the next several months.  For sure I need to get the cars ready to go, but I have a feeling that when Drag Week rolls around I'll be in the middle of trying to get as many of the intake adapters machined as I can, so that may preclude my participation this year.  We will see...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »
Well!  That took a lot longer than I thought LOL!  Just got finished with all four versions of the CVR water pump adapters tonight, finally  ::)  Here are a bunch of photos; I think they look pretty good.

Here is the pair of the adapters that have all the mounting holes that a stock FE water pump has.  So, you can bolt on the factory power steering pump brackets and factory alternator brackets to this pair of adapters.  The triangular alternator mounting bracket has to be notched for clearance to the CVR pump, as shown earlier in this thread.  Also the top inboard mounting hole on that side, that the factory slotted arm bolts to, has been moved just slightly to clear that CVR pump bolt that is nearby.  It doesn't affect the alternator mount though; the fifth photo shows the whole assembly on the engine, and everything fits just fine:

So, what if you don't want to run the factory power steering pump, just the alternator bracket?  Then you can use the plain water pump mount on the left side, and the alternator mount on the right side.  Here's some photos of that combination.  The third photo down shows the water pump mounts on their side so you can see the O-ring installed in the base.  This is a 0.140" thick Viton O-ring that will handle up to 400 degrees, so there should be no reliability issues provided the block surface that it faces is not pitted or anything.

Finally if you don't want to mess with any of the factory brackets at all, you can just use plain adapters on both sides:

The right side adapter that mounts the alternator bracket took the longest to make, because I was messing around with different configurations to try to make it strong, and at the same time make it suitable for use with a dual pass radiator with its outlet on the right side of the engine.  I was able to make this work, as shown in the photo below, but if you are going to go this route you need to get the long water pump inlet tube from CVR, not the medium or short tube.  On the other hand, if you are going with the standard left side water pump inlet, the short inlet tube from CVR is what you want, unless you've modified your timing cover like afret did, to cut off the fuel pump mounting boss.  Here are some pictures of both inlet options:

Unfortunately I ran out of time this weekend to pop my 428CJ on the dyno, so I have not yet tested these adapters.  That will be next weekend's project.  Hopefully now that the CNC programs are finished I can start cranking a few of these things out for those who may want them.  Once I get a pair of the adapters on the dyno and confirm that there aren't any leaks or other unforeseen problems, I'll put them up for sale in the vendor classifieds. 

One thing about this is that I still need to do a couple more of these things, for the SOHC!  I really want to run one of these pumps on my big cammer in my Shelby clone, just to see how it will do.  But I think I will wait on that a little at this point; I'm pretty pooped out on the CNC programming thing for now.  Besides, I have another really cool new parts project I'm working on that you guys are going to get a huge kick out of; I'll post some details about that in a month or so, when I have the first parts finished up   8)

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

fetorino

• Tunnelport Cobra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2013, 12:19:08 AM »
Ye haaa  Those look like a winner Jay.

67 Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »
Congratulations Jay,your engineering and technical skills you should be proud of ,not everyman is so blessed .In Australia we are also lucky to have guys with your dedication to the Ford Oval with a lot of new  Cleveland products being manufactured .All the best keep up the great work .

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
Damn Jay, you a purty fart smella! ;)  That looks awesome!

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2013, 09:51:04 AM »
+4 on that Jay!  By the looks of those, it took a lot of thought and messin around to get to where you are now.  Lookin forward to hearing dyno reliability results...

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

fe66comet

« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
Definitely are much stronger than CVR adapters and the mount flanges cover more area along with the huge O- ring you used, I cannot see them ever leaking or the mounting ears breaking off. For extra security I will more than likely install stainless studs to prevent electrolysis from seizing the mounting bolts up.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
Very cool looking parts! Heck anyone using your adaptors had better shine up the rest of the FE parts under the hood or the engine itself will look sad....LOL! 
Bob Maag

afret

« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
Looks great.  And it looks like you even corrected the problem with CSR pumps where the o-ring diameter is too small to make up for the funny shaped water pump opening on the drivers side of a stock FE block.

Looking forward to getting a set with just the alternator mount on the passengers side.  Will keep an eye on the classifieds.  Thanks again for all the hard work to get this done.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »
Looks great.  And it looks like you even corrected the problem with CSR pumps where the o-ring diameter is too small to make up for the funny shaped water pump opening on the drivers side of a stock FE block.

Yes, why do you suppose Ford did that?  Instead of a nice round opening there is a point at the bottom of that hole in the block casting.  Go figure; I made sure the O-rings would go around that point.
Jay Brown

afret

« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
What length 5/16-18 socket head cap screws are needed to attach the adapter to the water pump?  3/4"?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »
Yes, 3/4" or 7/8".  FYI I will be including all the mounting hardware with the adapters, except for the 4 bolts that bolt the pump to the block.  The mounting hardware kit will include the 8 bolts required to bolt the adapters to the CVR pump (one of these is a special bolt), some 3/8" allen head capscrews to bolt the factory mounting brackets to the adapters, and the two O-rings.
Jay Brown

Black Galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2013, 06:54:36 PM »
Nice work Jay!  It's been said before, but still bears repeating:" thanks for all your contributions to the FE Clan"

Steve A

afret

« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »
Yes, 3/4" or 7/8".  FYI I will be including all the mounting hardware with the adapters, except for the 4 bolts that bolt the pump to the block.  The mounting hardware kit will include the 8 bolts required to bolt the adapters to the CVR pump (one of these is a special bolt), some 3/8" allen head capscrews to bolt the factory mounting brackets to the adapters, and the two O-rings.

Sounds good.  Thanks!