Author Topic: FE Power Cylinder Heads  (Read 85772 times)

FElony

Re: FE Power Cylinder Heads
« Reply #330 on: March 02, 2020, 10:22:35 AM »
...  I just wish I had a vehicle that could use them, for I have a 530 CI FE shortblock that would be ideal for them.  Joe-JDC

Gots any partickee ler body style in mind?

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 02, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »
What the...............^
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

FElony

« Reply #332 on: March 02, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »
What the...............^

Doanchoo gno Merikan? I was asking Joe if, perhaps, he had a preference for a certain FoMoCo conveyance that could house said 530. Sheesh!   ::)

plovett

« Reply #333 on: March 02, 2020, 11:02:18 AM »
When I made the statement about Jay's heads, it was a bit "tongue in cheek" to stop the nit picking about the heads fitting shock tower cars and him coming up with new ideas for more options.  He has done a massive undertaking with this project, and should not be nit-picked to death about the little things at this time.  His heads are for serious folks who want to make massive amounts of horsepower without killing the parts to get it.  I just wish I had a vehicle that could use them, for I have a 530 CI FE shortblock that would be ideal for them.  Joe-JDC

No worries. I understand what you mean now.   I was just shocked at the way you wrote it and had a knee jerk reaction.  Sorry about that. And I also understand that devices like winglets can reduce overall drag even though they themselves add drag.   Interesting stuff for sure.

paulie

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 02, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »
Got rid of my '69 Mach I with shock towers cut back, so I don't currently have anything short of a late model Fox body.  That gives me an idea---

On the AWACS dome, when I was still active duty, the aircraft were restricted to a certain MPH because of stresses caused by the domes to the aircraft structure.  The aerodynamics have improved, but I think if you were to have access to the flight manuals, there is still a speed limit on the airframe. 

Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

FElony

« Reply #335 on: March 02, 2020, 12:26:10 PM »
Got rid of my '69 Mach I with shock towers cut back, so I don't currently have anything short of a late model Fox body.  That gives me an idea---
Joe-JDC

OK, just checking in case you were thinking lightened Galaxie roller or something.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 02, 2020, 12:48:10 PM »
Some shapes are aerodynamically inert.  An example:  The radar disc on an AWACS plane neither lifts or drags.   

That makes no physical sense.  Where did you get that idea?  You could have neutral lift at some specific speed under certain specific conditions, but zero drag?  That is simply ridiculous.  Where did that idea come from?

paulie

Actually the AWACS radome does create extra drag, but the shape creates enough added lift so that the overall lift/drag ratio is not adversely impacted. 

In some cases adding things (drag) can even increase overall efficiency.  Take the winglets that have sprouted on nearly all commercial aircraft.  They add drag, but the energy recouped from the wingtip vortices more than makes up for it!

I read somewhere that. The "Pro Stock" scoop under the belly on the Mustangs that is for
the radiator Ads drag but the increased volume of the air heated by the radiator creates a
"Jet" propulsion that more than compensate the drag. It was called....something,something effect

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 02, 2020, 01:03:45 PM »
What the...............^

Doanchoo gno Merikan? I was asking Joe if, perhaps, he had a preference for a certain FoMoCo conveyance that could house said 530. Sheesh!   ::)

Just astounded at your presence. As most folks are when you walk in a room I’m sure. ;D
Nice to hear from you.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #338 on: March 02, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »
Jay,
Just curious if you thought about making or 3D printing any mock up (dummy) heads for engine mock up and header fab in chassis?

Keith, I could do that but it would be more expensive than you'd think, probably $600 per head by the time the plastic and print time is taken into account.  So, I really wasn't planning on doing that...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 02, 2020, 02:46:36 PM »
Some shapes are aerodynamically inert.  An example:  The radar disc on an AWACS plane neither lifts or drags.   

That makes no physical sense.  Where did you get that idea?  You could have neutral lift at some specific speed under certain specific conditions, but zero drag?  That is simply ridiculous.  Where did that idea come from?

paulie

Actually the AWACS radome does create extra drag, but the shape creates enough added lift so that the overall lift/drag ratio is not adversely impacted. 

In some cases adding things (drag) can even increase overall efficiency.  Take the winglets that have sprouted on nearly all commercial aircraft.  They add drag, but the energy recouped from the wingtip vortices more than makes up for it!

I read somewhere that. The "Pro Stock" scoop under the belly on the Mustangs that is for
the radiator Ads drag but the increased volume of the air heated by the radiator creates a
"Jet" propulsion that more than compensate the drag. It was called....something,something effect

I'll try to control myself with this thread hijack, but I did spend a lot of time in the aeronautical engineering labs at school.  Heo - you're describing the Meredith Effect.  The same thing was used on the P-51 Mustang to generate extra thrust from the belly-mounted radiator duct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_effect

OK - I'll shut up now.  I promise I'll be posting more relevant stuff in the near future!

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 02, 2020, 02:51:41 PM »
No! Bill, we want to hear more from you!

Gee, we could also use you over on the old FE Forum too!
Bob Maag

plovett

« Reply #341 on: March 02, 2020, 03:50:47 PM »

paulie

I'll try to control myself with this thread hijack, but I did spend a lot of time in the aeronautical engineering labs at school.  Heo - you're describing the Meredith Effect.  The same thing was used on the P-51 Mustang to generate extra thrust from the belly-mounted radiator duct:

OK - I'll shut up now.  I promise I'll be posting more relevant stuff in the near future!

- Bill
I'll stop too.   :-X   Just gotta say that I don't believe the radiator on the Mustang actually produces a net thrust.  People talk about it like it does.  Anytime energy is moved or changes from one form to another, some is lost.

It reduces the net drag of the cooling system for sure.   The laminar flow wing deal is debatable, too. 

JMO,

paulie

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 02, 2020, 04:47:22 PM »
No! Bill, we want to hear more from you!

Gee, we could also use you over on the old FE Forum too!

Thanks Bob!  I've got a couple of cool projects I should be posting about in the next couple of months.  As for the other forum, the Tapatalk privacy sinkhole is not my cup of tea.  I'm always reachable here though!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

runthatjunk

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 03, 2020, 10:06:30 AM »

paulie

- Bill

COOL!  It's posts like this that keep me coming back, I would not have ever thought using the waste heat from cooling system could reduce drag or potentially give some amount of thrust.
1965 390 Galaxie 4 Speed
1966 428 Thunderbird

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 03, 2020, 11:03:45 AM »
COOL!  It's posts like this that keep me coming back, I would not have ever thought using the waste heat from cooling system could reduce drag or potentially give some amount of thrust.

Look in to the amount of thrust and downforce that zoomie headers on Top Fuel cars can generate. There's some serious forces going on there!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe