Author Topic: FE Power Cylinder Heads  (Read 86336 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: FE Power Cylinder Heads
« Reply #315 on: February 27, 2020, 11:39:13 PM »
Some years ago I had an extended discussion with Mose Nowland regarding the work that was done on TP heads and the flow characteristics in the area where the pushrod tube goes through.

The upshot, boiled down, was that there wasn't significant difference unless the tube was, itself, a restriction to flow. Shaping the runner so that there was no 'bottleneck' at that point got everything there was to get. I called him in the first place to find out what improvement there might be in 'shaping' the tube to make it oval, or pear-shaped, or some sort of airfoil. They weren't able to find any improvement by any shape changes.

This was at the time Brother Lon and I were setting up to use Dove TPs with Jim's 'Type 2' exhaust. The exhaust runners were raised, spaced-out, and re-shaped. I'd have to do some digging to find the numbers now, but they were a definite improvement.

KS

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 28, 2020, 06:58:15 AM »
All this speculation will be debunked when Jay's engine makes over 1000 hp on pump gas.  Joe-JDC

That's pretty optimistic LOL!  I'd be happy with 900 HP for the unported, raised exhaust heads.  What I'm really interested in is the comparison between my ported Edelbrock heads, my CNC ported Blue Thunder heads, and my unported FE Power heads.  That will be an interesting and telling comparison...

Are you going to run the MULE with the E heads and BT heads before your heads?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #317 on: February 28, 2020, 08:16:41 AM »
That's the plan...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 28, 2020, 02:56:15 PM »
Let me know if you need a extra set of hands to turn wrenches for the swap.

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 28, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »
Me first Me first!!! LOL
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 29, 2020, 04:50:31 PM »
Jay,
Just curious if you thought about making or 3D printing any mock up (dummy) heads for engine mock up and header fab in chassis? 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 01, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
what im wandering is with the new heads,blocks, power adders etc. could the fe be a street outlaw caliper engine like bbc,sbc,hemi,etc?
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 01, 2020, 01:01:20 PM »
Wow, 1000 hp on pump gas........that would be a serious piece.  Not sure where to find an honest 1000 hp on pump gas NA from any platform.  That is a huge number.  Takes about 15:1 for my junk heads to make 1000 hp NA.

If the Jay heads do that on pump gas, it will be time to get them approved for Pro Stock.
Blair Patrick

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 01, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »
Some years ago I had an extended discussion with Mose Nowland regarding the work that was done on TP heads and the flow characteristics in the area where the pushrod tube goes through.

The upshot, boiled down, was that there wasn't significant difference unless the tube was, itself, a restriction to flow. Shaping the runner so that there was no 'bottleneck' at that point got everything there was to get. I called him in the first place to find out what improvement there might be in 'shaping' the tube to make it oval, or pear-shaped, or some sort of airfoil. They weren't able to find any improvement by any shape changes.

This was at the time Brother Lon and I were setting up to use Dove TPs with Jim's 'Type 2' exhaust. The exhaust runners were raised, spaced-out, and re-shaped. I'd have to do some digging to find the numbers now, but they were a definite improvement.

KS

I wonder tho, even if quantity is not disturbed, does it disrupt the quality of airflow?

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 01, 2020, 04:06:05 PM »
Some shapes are aerodynamically inert.  An example:  The radar disc on an AWACS plane neither lifts or drags.  I know some builders spent a lot of time giving the pushrod tube a teardrop or airfoil shape.  That didn't help.  You can spend a lot of time perfecting the shape of something but you can't make it disappear.  The pushrod tube in a TP still plays into the area of the port even if it doesn't cause turbulence in the port.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 01, 2020, 08:04:34 PM »
There's tons of testing to prove that any added object will create drag and induce turbulence, and that shape plays a big role in it. An airfoil is much more efficient than a round tube..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbjB2gR32L4
On that AWACS plane, you can bet there were millions of dollars spent on shape, design and perfect location to minimize any effect on the planes flying characteristics.

But in an intake port, I have a guess that the reversion pulses have a way of negating that effect. Maybe even eliminating it. I'm sure it plays a role in it, either way.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

plovett

« Reply #326 on: March 01, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
Some shapes are aerodynamically inert.  An example:  The radar disc on an AWACS plane neither lifts or drags.   

That makes no physical sense.  Where did you get that idea?  You could have neutral lift at some specific speed under certain specific conditions, but zero drag?  That is simply ridiculous.  Where did that idea come from?

paulie

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 02, 2020, 12:36:34 AM »
Some shapes are aerodynamically inert.  An example:  The radar disc on an AWACS plane neither lifts or drags.   

That makes no physical sense.  Where did you get that idea?  You could have neutral lift at some specific speed under certain specific conditions, but zero drag?  That is simply ridiculous.  Where did that idea come from?

paulie

Actually the AWACS radome does create extra drag, but the shape creates enough added lift so that the overall lift/drag ratio is not adversely impacted. 

In some cases adding things (drag) can even increase overall efficiency.  Take the winglets that have sprouted on nearly all commercial aircraft.  They add drag, but the energy recouped from the wingtip vortices more than makes up for it!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 02, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »

paulie
In a past life, I had the opportunity to spend a week or so with the engineers and scientists at Wright Laboratories at Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio.  Aerodynamics and Computational Fluid Dynamics are so far away from my knowledge center –as you have observed- that I might not correctly describe things.  But anyway, I had a good discussion with an aerodynamics engineer specifically about cutting edge theory.  That turned to the AWACS disc.  I was curious how such a large appendage affected the performance of the aircraft.  He told me more or less what WConley wrote.  The engineer specifically said the disc is aerodynamically inert as far as the plane’s performance is concerned.  He used those words.  He said the lift and drag balanced out, again, like WConley wrote.  So, maybe he was dumbing it down for me so that a layman would understand the theory.  I did understand him and acknowledge here the use of the word “inert” isn’t scientifically suitable in this context and may upset some.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2020, 10:11:10 AM »
When I made the statement about Jay's heads, it was a bit "tongue in cheek" to stop the nit picking about the heads fitting shock tower cars and him coming up with new ideas for more options.  He has done a massive undertaking with this project, and should not be nit-picked to death about the little things at this time.  His heads are for serious folks who want to make massive amounts of horsepower without killing the parts to get it.  I just wish I had a vehicle that could use them, for I have a 530 CI FE shortblock that would be ideal for them.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500