Author Topic: NOS BJ/BK floats and choke assembly...  (Read 5464 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
NOS BJ/BK floats and choke assembly...
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »
No longer for sale

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:03:05 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

johnvermeersch501

• View Profile
Re: NOS BJ/BK floats and choke assembly...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:46:13 PM »
These parts are NOT NOS BJ/BK .  The correct pieces would be Non- electric choke, AUTOLITE casting ( not Holley). I believe these may be same as Carls Ford Parts replacement carbs that he had made several years ago
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 01:10:07 PM by johnvermeersch501 »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:54:14 PM »
John, I know the original early bk/bj had the large brass floats, but did the later 65-66 series have them as well?
Only late ones I’ve done have had replacement floats in them.

Thanks

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:19:16 PM »
With all due respect, John, these are NOT from Carls Ford Parts reproduction carbs. These were taken off of an original set of in the box, correctly ink stamped carbs. I have a set of reproduction carbs, and they are NOT ink stamped, nor were they even being produced when I bought THESE carbs. Maybe they were some sort of replacement carbs, I don't know because I didn't check the date of manufacture. And perhaps you should KNOW and be able to produce proof before you accuse me of trying to pass off reproduction parts? Nice way to make your first post on the forum, sir.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:37:05 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 11:35:29 PM »
This is a picture I took of the NOS carbs and NOS Medium Riser intake that I bought as a package deal over 25 years ago. The picture is over 25 years old and was taken on a standard camera (pre-cell phone) and then scanned to computer several years ago. To my knowledge, Carl was not even reproducing these carbs yet. I sold the intake probably 15 years ago, and kept the carbs to use, and still use them. Unfortunately, the picture is not good enough quality to see the details on the box, but the ink stampings are clearly visible.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 07:12:33 AM »
Those bk/bj don’t seem to have the bowls vents, what is the date code on them?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 09:01:40 AM »
Drew, I don't know the date code, and it's 15* in the garage, so too cold to go out and start taking things apart to look.
At this point, I'm just going to end this. The parts are no longer for sale.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
 Doug ,
    It's obvious they are NOS but they are most likely "service parts". The bowl vent  Drew mentions is not there. That vent was on all assembly line carburetors through '67.  Your carburetors are VERY different than those "contract" carburetors made for Carls. A date check as has been suggested would clarify things for all.
   Randy

johnvermeersch501

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 11:04:56 AM »
Doug, dont get your britches in a knot, never "accused" you of anything, simply making the point that these are NOT NOS Ford. Holley has made that carb for years, the choke cap you showed was not a Ford part and such that if somebody purchased it for a "correct" 63/64 restoration, as a senior Galaxie judge, I would shoot it down, or if anybody called the Ford Technical Service Hotline asking to verify the application, we would have told them "non-Ford"

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
John, they may not be correct for a concours restoration, I'm no concours expert, but they are in fact NOS Ford. Maybe you should look up the definition. A 40 year old replacement part is still NOS if it is unused, in the box. You said they could be from the reproductions, which they are not. Next time you jump in on somebodys ad, maybe you should not make assumptions without facts to back it up.

Randy, thanks for the input. I'm guessing you're right, that they are service replacements. I removed the ad because I didn't want anyone thinking I was trying to mislead them. I'm just not a "numbers" guy.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

johnvermeersch501

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 02:30:51 PM »
Doug, you are correct, NOS = never used,  BUT what assumptions did I use  ?   the part clearly says HOLLEY, not Autolite,as an original, Ford tagged,part would have for I.D.. They are service parts, direct from Holley, not OEM, BJ /BK pieces, and will work fine, no need to take them off the market... I guess I should not try to supply correct information to people that have all the answers already

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 02:45:40 PM »
Doug, you are correct, NOS = never used,  BUT what assumptions did I use  ?   the part clearly says HOLLEY, not Autolite,as an original, Ford tagged,part would have for I.D.. They are service parts, direct from Holley, not OEM, BJ /BK pieces, and will work fine, no need to take them off the market... I guess I should not try to supply correct information to people that have all the answers already

"I believe these may be from Carls Ford Parts replacement carbs that he had made several years ago"
Really? What assumption did you make? A 5th grader could point this out.
Point being, you could have actually helped me identify them, like Randy did, instead of just blasting my ad as being wrong, then assumed something that wasn't correct. But hey, you are never wrong.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
    John,
      The only part that said Autolite on BJ BK carbs was the part number tag and that was ONLY on those produced in '65. The '63,4,5s had FoMoCo tags on them. I didn't see the original pics that you must have . What item are you saying should say Autolite???
    Randy

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
Sorry if my questions seemed rude.
More of a student just interested in learning the details of early 60’s Ford carbs.
My questions were inappropriate to ask in a for sale ad.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:57:33 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

johnvermeersch501

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 09:30:04 PM »
Randy, yes, the green tags had  Autolite stamped in them,but didnt the choke cover have a raised  Autolite casted on it ? I may be thinking of the 4100 carb, but then Doug says I'm never wrong ?