Author Topic: 2 inch wide leaf springs for 66 Comet??  (Read 7369 times)

Jim Comet

• View Profile
2 inch wide leaf springs for 66 Comet??
« on: November 19, 2018, 08:48:33 AM »
I have a 66 Comet that I previously ran 9 inch wide slick on. With more horsepower in the future I would like to run a 10 inch wide slick. I think I can fit it if I can find a 2 inch wide leaf spring to run instead of my current 2 1/2 wide springs. By moving the springs to the center of the car I would gain 1/2 inch more section width clearance. I am pretty sure the wheel house will accomodate it if I trim the upper mounted bump stop. Does anyone have experience with 10 wide slick on a Comet? My rims are 8 inch wide with 4 3/4 inch back spacing. I was running a 3/8 inch space to fit the 9 inch slicks. If I can get narrower springs and eliminate the spacer or use a narrow one I think it may work. I am running cal'trac's. Does anyone know of a 2 inch wide spring? I am not able to mini tub at this time. Any experience? Thanks, Jim

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: 2 inch wide leaf springs for 66 Comet??
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »
I can't offer up much about the springs, but my only thought that came to mind is the use of 8" rim with the 10" tire.  You might not actually gain much with a wider tire due to the edges being rolled in from the narrow rim.  I know plenty of guys likely have done it, but something to think about.

Larry

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »
I have a 66 Comet that I previously ran 9 inch wide slick on. With more horsepower in the future I would like to run a 10 inch wide slick. I think I can fit it if I can find a 2 inch wide leaf spring to run instead of my current 2 1/2 wide springs. By moving the springs to the center of the car I would gain 1/2 inch more section width clearance. I am pretty sure the wheel house will accomodate it if I trim the upper mounted bump stop. Does anyone have experience with 10 wide slick on a Comet? My rims are 8 inch wide with 4 3/4 inch back spacing. I was running a 3/8 inch space to fit the 9 inch slicks. If I can get narrower springs and eliminate the spacer or use a narrow one I think it may work. I am running cal'trac's. Does anyone know of a 2 inch wide spring? I am not able to mini tub at this time. Any experience? Thanks, Jim

No experience with your desired combo but.....

Amazingly, a trailer supply shop will have your springs or can source them pretty quickly. Link provided just as an example. Contact a similar firm where you live and ask around. Btw, learned of this trick for car springs while having our old race car trailer worked on. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:23:52 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
  Detroit Eaton Spring made 2" wide springs for road race Mustangs and should be able to help you too.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 02:51:31 PM »
Have you tried asking Calvert if they have that option available with their split mono leafs? Or who they might recommend?
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 03:11:49 PM »
I run 4 1/2 backspace on the Falcon with 1/8" thick spacer and the slicks just clear the springs.  Actually, DRs clear by a hair and real 28x10 slicks just barely rub at 12.5 lbs.  As above, I'd ping Calvert and see what they have.  Alternately, you're looking at a spring re-location.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 03:51:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I am kind of hoping go low buck right now. What I was wondering is if any mustang, Fairlane or other models might use a 2 inch wide spring that would fit dimensionally. I could always add a leaf to adjust ride height. I definitely will look for a better option in the future but right now I am dollar poor and time rich. Jim

james

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 05:07:33 PM »

I to have a 66 mercury comet cyclone I'm restoring and I'm using the Calvert system and their springs are 2 and a half inches. However, at Crites restorations you can by a spring relocation kit which will give you 6 inches. http://www.critesperformanceparts.com/  Just scroll down and the kit is $210. Hope this helps.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 09:36:51 PM »
The 62-65 Fairlanes used the 2" wide rear leaf spring.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 09:47:43 PM »
I'll check out the 62-65 spring dimensions when I get to work on Wednesday and let you know if they are similar to the 66-67 springs.

57 lima bean

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 08:45:46 AM »
I think you're under estimating the potential of a nine inch slick.A ten inch Hoosier is the only tire I have seen to work with a eight inch wheel.Nine inch tire on eight inch wheel is your best bet.Then leverage it with Cal Tracks.Look at any Stocker.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »
The 70 Mustang here as the same leaf width and has way more inner tire clearance, like 1", than the Falcon when using the same exact tire and wheel.  Has to do with the seat location on the axle and under car locating points.  As for 9 vs 10, the 10s are more common and maybe a couple of $ cheaper.  But if you need more contact patch, taller gives more contact than wider.  Going from a 26x9 to a 28x9 would increase the contact patch more than going from say a 26x9 to a 26x10.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:30:37 PM by Falcon67 »

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 12:11:31 AM »

I had 325/50 x 15’s under my 1967 Fairlane. Stock wheel houses. No mods to fender lips.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 08:28:09 AM »

Blew the link before! Here it is: https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/4-leaf-trailer-double-eye-spring-kit-for-3500-lb-axle-2-springs/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlbnKgsvl3gIVTrnACh3k9QtwEAQYAiABEgL2a_D_BwE

No experience with your desired combo but.....

Amazingly, a trailer supply shop will have your springs or can source them pretty quickly. Link provided just as an example. Contact a similar firm where you live and ask around. Btw, learned of this trick for car springs while having our old race car trailer worked on.
Bob Maag

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 11:30:20 AM »
My brother thinks he has a pair off of a chrysler product that match up dimensionally. Ill compare them and post the results in a couple weeks. Thanks, Jim