Author Topic: Oil leak hell  (Read 1671 times)

Cyclone03

• View Profile
Oil leak hell
« on: November 12, 2018, 12:17:46 AM »
I have had my engine combo for 9years now,I hurt it this year and its  been together and running since May this year.

This block,Edelbrock head,RPM intake combo has ALWAYS had an oil leak on the right side. It drips off the starter as if the starter makes oil.

When I had the heads off I looked them over and they didn't appear hurt in any way that would cause a leak. They were not hurt in any way actually.

Over the years I've had the pan off several times and replace the rear main many times,had the trans,flywheel off etc. No leaks I can find on the back of the block.

Replaced the valve covers.
More valve cover gaskets than I can count.
Pulled intake several times to reseal. I've used both Right Stuff and TA31 but never an end seal gasket

I'm trying to figure out how to pressurize the crank case to help find this darn leak.

I feel like there is an external oil plug I'm missing.

It seems to leave about a 2 inch diameter spot after a 10 mile drive.

I'm sure Im missing something but I have had zero luck even slowing it down.

Oh and the oil seems to gather in the #4 plug hole,between the 3 and 4 exhaust bumps.

Its driving me nuts I sure wish I knew what I was doing wrong or missing.

Lance H

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Oil leak hell
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 05:39:37 AM »
Put some dye in the oil and use a black light to trace it.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 07:23:20 AM »
If oil is getting on the #4 plug area, it can't be the intake/gasket. I would guess the bottom rear valve cover bolt hole is cracked/split in the threads of the head.
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »
Oil plugs and cam plug on backside of block?

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 12:29:53 PM »
I chased a leak on my black car for years.   All the hours I spent replacing the oil pan gaskets(with windage tray), while in the car!!!   Just to have it leak just as bad.  I finally pulled trans/bell/clutch. I then spun the oil pump with drill and found the problem.  Seems one of the rear galley plugs was NOT a tapered pipe plug.  Once there was oil pressure, you could just see a tiny seep of oil coming down the block.  UGH>  I replaced that with new tapered plug and presto-chango it was fixed.  Miracles of miracles.

Though, it does have a mysterious leak on the driver side currently.  Can't pinpoint it.  Comes down the back corner of head, drips on cast iron headers and makes it smoke like a train when you start it up.  Valve covers seems dry, back of intake seems dry.  Acts like it is coming from head gasket(cometics).  Annoying, but not enough to tear it apart to fix it.   :o
Larry