Author Topic: Advance Timing  (Read 2264 times)

MHarvey

• View Profile
Advance Timing
« on: October 28, 2018, 08:30:30 PM »
I am about to install the new cam in the 428, I have the 230 @ .050.  Should I advance the timing or go dot to dot.  i am not racing it...but there is a lot of chat on here about 4 degrees....which I believe is rotating the crank about two teeth clockwise...is it worth it...and does it just give the horsepower at a lower speed...I do not race it but still like the idea of a fast street engine...any risks...?

falcongeorge

• View Profile
Re: Advance Timing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 09:34:46 PM »
Depending on the cam, it's probably ground 4 degrees ahead, so if you install it dot to dot, it will probably be 4 degrees advanced already. Comp grinds all their street type cams 4 degrees advanced, I have seen it on the Iskys I have degreed lately as well. As far as whether it's an advantage to advance it another 4,, you don't give enough info, LSA, compression, car weight, gear, converter, ECT.also, if you start moving it around, you need to check piston/valve for sure, you should be anyway. As far as installing it "dot to dot", I kinda figure if it's worth changing cams, it's worth degreeing it, but others may see things differently. I sure as he'll don't see any point in advancing a cam if I don't know where it is in the first place...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:38:15 PM by falcongeorge »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 11:00:21 PM »
I am about to install the new cam in the 428, I have the 230 @ .050.  Should I advance the timing or go dot to dot.

Neither.  degree the cam properly.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
Same - use a wheel, dial it in per the cam specs. 

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 03:22:38 PM »
I am about to install the new cam in the 428, I have the 230 @ .050.  Should I advance the timing or go dot to dot.

Neither.  degree the cam properly.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:25:06 PM by falcongeorge »

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 11:15:18 PM »
You are not just moving the chain two teeth,that would be way more than 4 deg.,more like 20! You need a chain set with multiple crank key ways. I have found dot-dot chain sets either advanced or retarded,and adjustable sets where 2deg = 1 and 4 =3 and 6=6 so even the adjustable sets need to be checked.
Lance H

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »
Depending on the cam, it's probably ground 4 degrees ahead, so if you install it dot to dot, it will probably be 4 degrees advanced already. Comp grinds all their street type cams 4 degrees advanced, I have seen it on the Iskys I have degreed lately as well. As far as whether it's an advantage to advance it another 4,, you don't give enough info, LSA, compression, car weight, gear, converter, ECT.also, if you start moving it around, you need to check piston/valve for sure, you should be anyway. As far as installing it "dot to dot", I kinda figure if it's worth changing cams, it's worth degreeing it, but others may see things differently. I sure as he'll don't see any point in advancing a cam if I don't know where it is in the first place...
I have just put 2 and 2 together, this is the 9.5/1 428 from the other thread. I would consider this combo light on compression for the cam, so I would advance the cam as much as intake valve clearance permits. My concern here is that the op may not know how to accurately check piston/valve clearance. Only he can answer that question for himself, if he is comfortable degreeing the cam accurately and checking piston/valve clearance correctly, I would degree it, and install it at 102. Op, be aware that if you advance the cam this much, and DONT check piston/valve clearance, you stand a fair to middlin' chance of tagging a valve, and ruining your new motor.