Author Topic: Which, ARP Fly & Disk Bolts, Pilot Bearing, Dowel Pin, For 428 & Tremec TKO ?  (Read 3019 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Wanting to get the flywheel, clutch, and bell mounted, so I'm needing information on these parts. May get all from Summit or Fortes, so I need item numbers. Unless Mike has everything ?

I think,...the pilot shaft is 11/16" I/D

Pilot bearing is  1-1/4" O/D  (prefer bearing over bronze bushing)

Dowel pin's 1" long x 1/2 dia

May be wrong though ?

Summit-

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=Arp%20flywheel%20bolts%2C%20ford%20fe

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/pressure-plate-fasteners/make/ford/engine-size/6-4l-390

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/bellhousing-dowel-pins?sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending&keyword=Bellhousing%20Dowel%20Pins&kr=Bellhousing%20Dowel%20Pins

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=Pilot%20bearing

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Here is what I have used on my junk:

Flywheel bolts- ARP 200-2802

Pressure plate bolts- ARP 250-2201

Dowel pins- Dart 32901400

Pilot bearing (If input shaft dia. is .672") #6303-2RS ball bearing such as a Koyo or similar
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

gdaddy01

• View Profile
If using a dial indicator to do your bell housing , I would try to get the adjustable dowel pins , I think it would make life easier   

Dan859

• View Profile
Check the length of the input shaft on your TKO, as opposed to the depth of your bellhousing.  The input shaft is longer than a topcover 4 speed.  I think I read somewhere that Quicktime makes bellhousings in two different depths, so you can check that.  I ended up putting a 1/4" spacer between my bellhousing and the transmission.  Richmond also covers this on their website, for their transmissions

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
I have a TKO with a FE specific input shaft length   So they can be had  instead of shimming a bell housing around
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

Dan859

• View Profile
I have a TKO with a FE specific input shaft length   So they can be had  instead of shimming a bell housing around

Cool!  I didn't know that. 

427HISS

• View Profile

Please explain.

Coreyc619

• View Profile
If you don't want to use the spacer/adapter, you use the early model input shaft length.  I have a home grown modified 3550 on a Lakewood bell, with a spec 3+ in my F100.  I originally had to use a spacer as well because the late model input shaft  was longer than the top loader stuff, apparently. This was back when the 3550 was the only "street oriented" upgrade stick shift fox mustangs had available, so the dimensions seemed to tailor to that crowd with no other available options.  I did this conversion roughly 20 years ago, on a truck I was still 2 years too young to drive yet.. so I don't remember exact measurement differences etc.  I will say, that my Lakewood was concentric right out of the box when checked with a dial, and I used ARP bolts for clutch and flywheel (centerforce billet), right out of the summit catalog.  Never had a single problem with any of the above.  Used blue Loctite and a torque wrench to install, like a good little boy. That centerforce clutch was pure garbage though.  I've since seen pencil sharpeners that would probably overwhelm that thing... Pilot bearing came from local parts house, although I prefer a bushing over a bearing these days.  Seems to shift a little better - go figure - they had it right the first time.

I upgraded to 26 spline input this last time, and got the top loader/early model length input so I could get rid of the spacer.  I did this both for input strength, and to cheat my shifter away from the bench seat a hair.  I.E. - you could go either route without giving up anything, but you may want to consider where either/or lands your shifter.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:57:43 AM by Coreyc619 »

427HISS

• View Profile
Another kink in the plans,

Years ago, the Quick Time owner sent me their FE bellhousing (never used it until now). I just painted it my body color. I was looking into other parts and saw that the part number was different than what I have. I called Holly (which they bought Q/T)  and my fear is true, it's not for the Tremec transmisson !
I don't have the recipt after 10 years, so Idon't see any way out of it than to sell my nice painted bell, buy a new one, and paint it  !  DAMN.....   >:(
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:57:15 PM by 427HISS »

drdano

• View Profile
Don't freak yet.  They make at least two different versions of the bellhousing.  What's the part number?

427HISS

• View Profile
Yes, there are two.  For their FE bell and Tremec TKO 3550, 500 and 600 is  RM-6056.

Anybody want to buy my new QT bell that's painted real pretty ?    ::)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:18:02 PM by 427HISS »

427HISS

• View Profile
For the throw out What shaft diamature and spline count do I need, and using a Tremec TKO ?

This one ?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/national,614038,clutch+release+bearing,1968
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 04:04:03 PM by 427HISS »

427HISS

• View Profile
Anyone ?

Cyclone03

• View Profile
For the throw out What shaft diamature and spline count do I need, and using a Tremec TKO ?

This one ?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/national,614038,clutch+release+bearing,1968

For a TKO with stock type linkage I use a small shaft Top Loader size,same as for a small block or 390.
Lance H