Author Topic: Edelbrock Street Master intake  (Read 2129 times)

GTwayne

• View Profile
Edelbrock Street Master intake
« on: July 17, 2018, 07:55:02 AM »
The plan is NOT to 1/4 mile Killer Diller but still have a fun, head snappin' 427ci 5spd Fairlane.
That said, I picked up a pair of UNmolested Streetmaster intakes. Does ANYBODY have a link to the mods listed in the other discussions on the forum?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:47:23 AM by GTwayne »

NIsaacs

• View Profile
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Edelbrock Street Master intake
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »
The modifications are shown in my book; basically you should port match the runners to the sides and roof of the head ports (not the floor), then open up the plenum.  The plenum on a Streetmaster has these "ears" in the corners for some reason; those should be ground away, and tapered into the runner entries.  Also, if you are running in excess of 450 HP the Streetmaster will benefit from an open carb spacer, 1/2" or 1" seems to work well.  Good luck on the modifications.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

GTwayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »
Thank you for the response guess I better "Buy the book"
to quote the late great Todd Henning, "If you think my parts just made themselves, you should sort thru the scrap pile in back of my shop"
Thank you FE power for keeping the faith.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
I have a street master intake that i did the mods on. It's not all that complicated, nothing to be afraid of if you have ever used a carbide to grind away at aluminum.
Ill try to take some pics when i get back to the shop this afternoon.

Intake port natching is fairly straight forward. I just used a gasket as a template and did the sides and the roof as Jay instructs. I left just a little material inside the scribe lines for clean up when i actually install the manifold. You will find that you will want to go a little ways up into the port to get a smooth transition, once you start grinding you will see that the bottle-neck of the runner is only about the last 1-1/2 to 2 inches.

Grinding the ears out of the corners is also very straight forward, but when that is done you will find you have created a very sharp 90 degree corner at the top of the runners, just under the carb. This is easier to feel than it is to see. You want to take the peak off that corner and make it a nice radius,  for me this was easier to "port by feel" than it was to see. A long shank carbide helps here, as it can be a bit tricky to get the angles right to make a smooth radius. I don't think mine is perfect  couple of runners i ended up with more of a rounded off 45 degree corner than a nice radius. but i take the blame on that, I should have taken a bit more time when i was hogging off the sharp corner.

It's always best to make a few small cuts and check often than it is to get in a hurry and hog out a bunch of material. its tricky because once you get the tool in there, its hard to see exactly where you are really grinding, so it helps to take your time on that part.

There are many far more qualified members on this forum to get advice from when it comes to porting manifolds, however !
And do pick yourself up a copy of Jays book, its a must have.

GTwayne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 08:36:07 PM »
It's on its way.....

Thanks for the tips though.