Author Topic: ran across this.. enjoy  (Read 2778 times)

427LX

• View Profile
Re: ran across this.. enjoy
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 09:08:57 PM »
Hey....not a bad deal for a buck!!

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 11:21:05 PM »
There was a Calliope engine sitting in the lobby of the Ford dyno building - for years when I worked there.  It had a full brace of real 58mm Webers on top  :o :o

Somebody finally realized how rare and valuable that thing was.  Now the Calliope and its 1963 pushrod Indy engine lobby-mate are stored safely and trotted out for the occasional show.

The engines were just sitting there, right next to the lobby chairs.  I remember resting rolls of drawings on the Webers while waiting sometimes...
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

wsu0702

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 12:23:37 AM »
Didn't the Galliope engine share a few of the design cues (bore spacing, rocker arms, etc.) from the soon to be released 429?  I have heard that the 385 series engine development team members were heavily involved in the Galliope.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »
That's what I understand - yes.  It seems that the Calliope had a lot of things in common with the 385 architecture.

One thing the 385 never used was the two camshafts, one above the other.  The exhaust valves were actuated by horizontal pushrods from the top cam.  The Calliope block was also aluminum.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/38-chillys-garage/157678-ford-calliope.html

A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.