Author Topic: 66 Comet drag car  (Read 4916 times)

FElony

Re: 66 Comet drag car
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »
FElony, I get it now! This 4th of July in Delano took a lot out of me. I'll try and pay better attention starting tomorrow. Jim

Well, OK then. I was starting to doubt my own sanity, as it was 115º with a 124º heat index while I was running around the yard a couple hours ago checking out wheel well mouldings, which I didn't know until I got back in and checked the local weather. I'm like, "Gee, it's a tad stifling out here today". I actually had to think about that header a minute. Don't forget about the gear question above, please. Thanks.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 04:28:47 PM »
   Jim ,
      I converted my own C6 to the low gear setup. I had "most" but not all of the parts. (I didn't get the complete kit). I bought what I was missing , down loaded the Ford racing instructions , opened the Shop manual to the C6 section , and went at it. It was actually pretty easy in retrospect.
   +2 Nice job on the headers!!!!
   Randy

What are you two guys going run for rear gears?
As far as gears go I am going to run a 4.11 with my 28x9" slicks. With the 2.72 first gear I thought I might overpower the 9 inch slick if I went to a steeper gear. I am also going to use my 3400 converter which will probably stall a little higher with the longer stroke and more powerful engine. This converter will stall to low to be optimum for the new engines power band but it is just a bracket car and it may help me hook up. I will get a new converter matched to the power band of the new motor after my wallet heals a little and see if I can get it to hook. If after I get the new converter I can still get consistent traction I will move to a deeper gear to better use the 7000 rpm power band. Jim

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »
With the wide ratio kit already installed there shouldn't be any issues rebuilding the transmission, it's pretty straight forward, and just the usual check of condition of the components should be good. I wouldn't expect any issues with the parts or clearances, assuming things were good when last assembled, with that amount of use, but always good to check.

When I was bracket racing more often I asked the convertor company how often I should send my convertor in to be freshened, and they recommended about every 300 passes, with my combo - a 3400 lb car running 11.50-12.00 ET's and foot braking. The one time I tried stretching it out until the end of a season ( since I hadn't been having any issues ), about 400 passes, I had a convertor failure, so I went back to adhering to their advice. I know lots of people that rarely ever send their convertor in, and seem to get lucky, but that never seems to be me. And some of those people never seem to win either. When you are trying to be competitive and consistent I always found keeping the stuff maintained helps. At the same time I would send the convertor in to be freshened I would freshen the C6 with new seals, convertor bushing, band, Sealing rings, and at least new Reverse-High clutches. The Reverse-High clutches & steels were usually the only thing showing wear and heat issues, the governor distributor sealing rings also usually showed wear. Everything else got inspected and replaced as needed. Occasionally I would have to replace a one-way clutch, planetary, drum, etc. the seals always looked good, but they are cheap to replace, and they take some abuse from heat. I eventually built two identical C6's and had two identical convertors, so I would just swap each time and rebuild without having to be rushed.

There are a few places in the cities most of the racers seem to use, but I've always done my own, so I don't have any first hand recommendation. 

*Edited to add: I usually run a 4500 stall 10" race convertor.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:51:35 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

FElony

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 08:22:57 PM »
A couple years ago I noticed that one of the better converter manufacturers (I think it was Edge) was selling low-to-high stall, you pick value, custom made from new 9-inch diameter cases. On eBay. Failed to find this now. But, in theory, wouldn't a smaller TC decrease rotational mass and make for a better choice?

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
So the transmission has about 500 passes on it and about 2000 street miles. It worked fine when I took it out. Does a guy rebuild it to play it safe or would you run it? Jim

The last time I ordered C6 parts from Broader, we got to talking about how tough a stock C6 really was. He told me back in the 80's he was building nearly stock C6's and adapting them to 540 Rodecks for the monster truck guys. Besides adding clutches, I think the input shaft was the biggest change he made.

I'd run that C6 as is. Sounds like it's been reliable for you. 
Kevin McCullah

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 04:42:41 PM »
So the transmission has about 500 passes on it and about 2000 street miles. It worked fine when I took it out. Does a guy rebuild it to play it safe or would you run it? Jim

i had my c6 built in 1984 for my 428 66 comet.it has 30-40 thousand street miles on it plus a few hundred passes and im still waiting for it to tear up. im going back to a 4 speed if and when it ever breaks.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 05:54:06 PM »
take the drain plug out , while you can still mash a clutch pedal .