Author Topic: FT Heads  (Read 5675 times)

FElony

Re: FT Heads
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 05:15:00 PM »
Wow, thanks for the insight! I understand a little better, but they are still all crazy. I'm sure you have your personal reasons for moving there, and I'm not going to pry, but for heaven's sake import a Super Duty and put really really big bumpers on it. Put a sticker on the back that says "съесть это, Борис". Come to think of it, why do we never see Yankee/Jap pickemup trucks there?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:19:30 PM by FElony »

TomP

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »
A set of FT heads on the FE cars over there would lessen the carnage a bunch. Hard to do much damage at slow speed.

FElony

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 05:53:32 PM »
A set of FT heads on the FE cars over there would lessen the carnage a bunch. Hard to do much damage at slow speed.

Nyet. You underestimate the power of Boris and Natasha, comrade Postumova. Destruction in parking lot is bountiful.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 06:05:40 PM »
Felony, Your FT headed towing motor sounds neat, I saw an S.P.2.P ( hope i got that right...... ) on fleabay the other day for like $150.
A performer ( not RPM ) might be a good choice as well.

I always thought the FT exhaust manifolds were WAY  better than the stock truck Log offerings. The FT manifolds look a lot like the classic Chevy Rams horn. Gotta deal with the cross over, but thats not a huge deal.

Propane can be hard on valve guides, we had a costumer when i worked up in wyoming, he worked for the propane company, they all got propane for free basically, so most of them had converted their truck to run on it.

He came in about once every 2 months, had several boxes of pushrods behind his seat. We would pull the valve covers off his 460, pull the pushrods out and replace all the bent ones. Usually about half the intakes were bent. It was a pain in the ass for him but he didnt care, he was saving a ton of cash not having to buy gas for that smogged out turd of a 460.

TorinoBP88

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 06:13:54 PM »
I may have a line on a natural gas FT361. I was thinking"old hot rod" with center dump manifolds, and a Jay Brown intake adapter to block the exhaust cross over, and a Cleveland performer intake. Make a Rod cruiser with overdrive... 1500 rpm at 70 would be my goal.

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 07:08:48 PM »
I still run an FT in a '58 F-600 service truck and yes it has preety goot torque (best Russian accent) but...
after having had a variety of FE and FT engines in this truck over the last 30 years,  the very best one with the most torque and power was an out of the box mid-sixties 4-V 390, but it was just too much "zip" with those low gears. First gear was done in about two seconds, and the crankshaft would not hold up to the continuous low rpm duty. As it is I have indeed broken a steel crank through the center main, go figure.
Having said that, this 391 has towed home dead fully loaded gravel hacks (transfers) at 80,000 lbs. That combined with the weight of my truck is 90,000lbs (there's your bank!) and the 391FT does it just fine. Not fast though... It will not really run over 4000 rpm, with a bit of a cam in it the max torque at about 1900. The factory cam is pathetic, with max torque (not much) at 1600.
These things are significantly de-rated.

There is more than one head and valve combination on these FT's, the true heavy duty engines have (7/16?) sodium filled exhaust valves about the size of a thimble $$$. The "medium duty" or " industrial engine" uses the same same size valves with a more conventional stem dia. (I have a propane 2V-428 with these heads)

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 08:18:29 PM »
C6AE, How do you think an FT would run with a 427 marine cam? I`m brain storming a build For a 56 COE tower.

FElony

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 10:36:55 PM »
Look how freaking cool this ride is. Don't know if I'd shorten it 10 feet or make a car transporter out of it. Nearby.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1965-ford-c600/6643641260.html

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »
C6AE, How do you think an FT would run with a 427 marine cam? I`m brain storming a build For a 56 COE tower.

I think it depends on your intended use, the FT's have pretty low compression and really heavy pistons, crank and clutch etc. I think any more cam than my grandmother's 352 station wagon would be just wasting fuel. The truck engines are all about low rpm continuous duty and need a powerband between about 500-3000 rpm. Mine is always pulling a grade lugging my tools and welder etc to some remote job site and is working at WOT at 1500-2000 rpm for several minutes at a time. In fact it settles down and pulls quite well at that speed. Out on the highway I run it at 3000-3500 but that is not it's main use.

Edit; I do use a car distributor (Pertronix) with my own curve in it and a cheap 650 vacuum Holley w/manual choke.
Distributor is about 25° crankshaft degrees mechanical advance starting from 10° initial, coming in at 1000 ending at 3500,  the vacuum advance adding about 15° more until the vacuum drops below 15"Hg then it's out. There is no governor, if I was to let an employee drive it I would definitely fit an electronic governor.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:59:16 AM by C6AE »

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 12:43:01 PM »
I've had to scrap every FT head I've had.  No one would buy them, even really cheap or free.  Some of the heads were freshly rebuilt.