Author Topic: Getting started for Drag Week 2018  (Read 27126 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Getting started for Drag Week 2018
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2018, 10:54:10 PM »
Wow that’s tough Doug. What you can do is pull coil wire and take that bolt out
in the oil port to rockers take distributor out and prime and see if oil is coming out.
Yeah I know at this time it sucks. Are you using studs as head bolts or stock bolts.
I had the studs and the stud was stopping flow to the top.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2018, 12:15:57 AM »
All stock hardware, so nothing there that could be causing the issue.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2018, 03:16:47 AM »
If you dump the oil put in some thin oil perhaps ATF remove rocker stands
and prime it. Perhaps it will flush out the crud after a while since you have some
circulation?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2018, 05:52:52 AM »
I wouldn't run it the top end will have no oil cooling the valve train. possible head gasket blocking the oil gallery.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2018, 06:34:22 AM »
If you’re not getting oil to either head, what’s the chance that you pushed out an oil galley plug out of one of the cross overs for the lifter galleys?? How hard would it be to pull the distributor and prime with a drill and watch that area? Or possibly, the one near the distributor?
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2018, 06:53:16 AM »
There's no way that a plug came out. I didn't even disturb them while cleaning the lifter valley, plus the engine still has 70 lbs of pressure cold and 40-45 lbs while hot and idling at 500 rpm in gear. Exactly the same as when I first started it. I just can't see it having that much pressure if a plug were missing.

I might try what Heo suggested and pull a rocker shaft to see if anything flushes out, or at the very least, do what Joe suggested and pull the oiling bolt to see what kind of flow there is and go from there. My gut agrees with Harry, that I shouldn't run it like this. This just makes me sick.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2018, 07:25:15 AM »
On the European  Ford V6 from the 70s  the cambearing rotated so the rocker got no oil
there was several solutions to get them going a few months more or to sell them , dunk sponges in oil
and stuff under the valvecovers, i even found a loaf of bread under the covers on one ;D
have an oilcan with you and remove covers or the real serious drilled holes i the covers on strategic spots
with plugs and lubed through the holes  and lube when they started to twitter  :D some got them running for a couple of years more
I know not an option for you but....

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2018, 09:09:40 AM »
If shafts are clean....

Rocker bolt is up against the side of the rocker shaft mounting holes or head bolt is against the side of the head bolt hole.  I have seen this two or three times over the years.  Just a tolerance and assembly stack up deal.  Remove the offending fastener and spin the oil pump  over - if it squirts out you found the issue.  Air gun to blow the oil out of the threads, turn the bolt shank down, and reassemble.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »
Doug what Barry is saying is what I was trying to explain happened to my motor, fortunately caught it while priming.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
it happens with stock parts.
been there.
done that.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »
I found the problem. Quick update then getting a bite to eat, cleaned up, then hitting the road.

The shafts were new, detailed several pages back when I used new HS shafts and factory adjustable rockers.
Here's a picture I posted of what I used...

You can't see it in the picture, but there was only a single small oiling hole on those shafts for the rockers. Smaller than the single hole, non-grooved original shafts. The rockers weren't tight, they seemed about right on the shaft although I didn't measure.

First, I tried switching to 10w-30 oil, but there was no change. I took a probe light and peered down under the intake, but it was difficult to see much with the valley tin in place. Still, I could see oil flowing over the lifters, but not gushing anywhere like you'd expect to see if a plug had popped out. Next I pulled the necked down bolt out and cranked the engine over. Lots of oil coming out of the stand then, so I immediately thought about the shafts. Then I remembered about that small oiling hole, which I didn't like at the time when I was assembling them, but I had used HS shafts before like this without issues. I looked on my shelf of parts and found a nice set of old shafts that have the groove in the bottom hole and a second hole towards the rear of the rocker. Knowing that old shafts can hold a lot of crud, I went through 6 cans of brake cleaner and LOTS of air pressure before all the brake clean ran out clear and no crud was coming out. You'd be surprised at how much crap those shafts can hold! I assembled all the rockers and stands on the old shafts and reinstalled one side, cranked the engine over, and BINGO, I had lots of oil oozing out of the rockers and down the pushrods. That seemed to cure it! I did the other side the same way and had the same results. So both sides are now flowing oil good to the pushrods and I have oil flowing down into the head.

Apparently, even with the grooves in the rockers, there just wasn't enough oil getting through that small hole to feed the valvetrain. The old shafts I replaced them with have a bigger hole and the angled groove that allows oil to feed the bottom of the rocker. The second hole helps also, I'm sure. I don't remember where I got the older shafts from, but I'm sure glad I had them! They were in really good shape with practically no scoring at all, so I don't forsee any problems using them.

So that's where I'm at, a little behind schedule, but with more piece of mind. I'm just glad I decided to look into the head after that oil change, or I'd have never known about this issue. It's not something I even considered since all these parts were used in the past, except those HS shafts.

I'd post detailed pictures, but my phone chords are already packed and I'm a bit pressed for time. I'll try to post them later.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:23:30 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2018, 01:26:13 PM »
Congratulation on solving the problem

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2018, 01:48:44 PM »
That's great. Givem hell this week.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2018, 02:23:47 PM »
That's great. Givem hell this week.

I think hell has already arrived. Now there are massive rains moving into my area, with flash flooding, and the traffic on I75 is coded red just 2 hours south of me. Then there's Hurricane Florence that's predicted to either skirt up the east coast or hit North Carolina on Wednesday, exactly when we're supposed to be in that state. Not to mention the rain front that is moving in from the west, pretty much down the whole eastern U.S. I'll tell ya, I've about had it with all the setbacks, and now predictions of a really crappy week for the entire time in the area of Drag Week. I'm not a person that believes in 'signs', but.....
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
Listen just have fun its still better than work. Did you say your wipers work well!!!?????. ::) ;)