Author Topic: Best media to use for an intake manifold?  (Read 8448 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Best media to use for an intake manifold?
« on: June 20, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
I was going to use walnut shell. Any better suggestion?

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Best media to use for an intake manifold?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
I did my intake a year ago...or a friend that have a harley shop did it.
First he sand blasted it to get all the oxidation and old dirt of then hotwater washed it then glasbeaded it
then in the washing machine again  super easy to keep klean just
some petroleum based degreaser or what it is called in english
like some hitec kerosene or ....and hoose it of with water and blow
dry with compressed air
I saw a harley engine he did 17 years ago still same finnish just mayby
a tad darker and it was in for a new rebuild so it was not just stored for 17 years
have som pic somewhere
There you have it got it oily due to a leak around the distributor washed it of and still same same finnish  im going to do the valvecovers and just polish top of the finns
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:44:53 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 06:14:54 PM »
Hrm. I dunno if I have a good way to wash out beads if they get into the ports. I’ll think on that.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »
He use a ,,,,"washing machine" big one with hotwater
and some alcalic,lye, kind of detergent like the most
engine machine shops have. You probably know what
kind im  talking about
If you have a machine shop close they probably can
wash it for you for a box of dougnuts
Or...when the wife is out of town you could...... ;)

He says its important to sand blast it thoroghly first
to get it clean beacuse the glas beads more or less
just polish the surface and imbed dirt or oxide if its
not clean and you get a uneven finish
And use new glasbeads that not been crushed or
contaminated

I have a FSB crossram he did 25-30 years ago still
the same finnish but it have only been hanging on the wall
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:44:59 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »
Crushed walnut shells as they are organic and any residue you can't see to clean out will quickly degrade with minimal engine damage.  Try this trick: soak some glass beads and walnut shells in separate containers of oil or gas. Guess which is totally immune to degradation? 

https://www.eastwood.com/blast-media-walnut-shells-50-lb.html
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:03:25 PM »
I've always glass beaded them, after first cleaning any grease or oil out of the runners, and off the outside.  I usually tape up the runner openings and carb holes just to be safe too, but occasionally the tape will break and some beads will get into the runners.  I've read lots of reports online from people who say no matter how you prepare the intake you will never get all the glass beads out of the runner passages, but good compressed air and some long reach nozzles have always gotten the job done for me.  I've also run water from a hose through the runners on occasion, if I haven't been sure that the grease and oil aren't completely gone before the glass beading.  Bottom line is glass beading leaves a very nice finish and isn't anything to be afraid of.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 07:11:03 PM »
Yes very nice finish and so easy to keep clean
just don't let gas dry on it because it leave stains
blow it of with compressed air

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »
No aircraft engine manufacturer or authorized rebuilder is allowed to use any glass beads.

An AEC tech bulletin (one I could not copy as a PDF here!):

Title: Dangers of contamination from Glass Bead Material

Technical portions are approved by Airmotive Engineering Corp.
T.N. No.: 09-2
Page: 1 of 2
Issued: 2-10-10
Revision: 0
1.0 PURPOSE: To help prevent engine failures
2.0 SCOPE: To alert technicians and mechanics about the perils related to glass beads
3.0 APPLICATION: Maintenance of aircraft piston engines.
4.0 REFERENCE: Engine Manufacturer’s overhaul manuals and service bulletins, service
instructions and service letters (Continuing Airworthiness Instructions) should always be
consulted as the principal authority for any engine overhaul and maintenance information.
5.0 DISCUSSION: One of the methods used by technicians and mechanics to clean component parts
is to shot blast using glass beads. This procedure has some benefits over other cleaning
procedures, but all of the benefits pale in comparison to the devastation that glass beads cause
when they are introduced in any manner into the inner workings of an aircraft piston engine. Even
one glass bead can cause significant damage before it breaks up into glass dust. If it is trapped in a
bearing it does its damage and then can re-circulate to do some more.
Many shops keep glass bead blast media and only use it to clean external parts. Others believe
that proper cleaning will eliminate the hazard. There are two axioms that should be posted in
every engine shop:
1. If glass beads are any where in any quantity in an aircraft repair facility, they will end up
in aircraft engines!
2. The only thing that loosens up and moves glass bead media from the nooks and crannies
of aircraft engines and into areas where they cause the most harm is hot engine oil!

Most engine overhaulers or repairers have experienced problems related to glass beads. However,
many were never aware of the root cause for their problems, and either gave up on the search for a
cause or attributed the cause to something else. This is because glass beads will defy cleaning
efforts and are difficult to identify after the damage is done. Airmotive Engineering Corp. and
Engine Components, Inc. have experienced the problems caused by glass bead blast media many
times over the years. Because of these experiences (i.e. warranty claims), our technicians have
developed highly effective evaluation techniques, and it is rare that positive evidence of glass
beads cannot be found.
T.N. No. 09-2
Revision 0
Dangers of contamination from Glass Bead Material
Page 2 of 2
 The photograph below shows glass beads that were solvent washed from behind piston rings of
cylinders sent back to ECi for warranty consideration. The pistons, rings, cylinder bores, and
bearings were severely damaged and unserviceable.
Photo 1: Glass Beads in Engine Oil and Solvent

6.0 Conclusion: It is of utmost importance that glass beads not be used in any manner to clean piston
engine parts. Even one glass bead can cause significant damage, and failure to comply with this
instruction will result in denial of a warranty cl

Re: continentalmotors.aero/xPublications/xService%20Bulletins/ECi%20Archives/09-2/

I rest my case that unless one can almost surgically clean, even an intake, from 100% of all glass beads, other media is preferred.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:35:03 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 08:55:08 PM »
I've always glass beaded them, after first cleaning any grease or oil out of the runners, and off the outside.  I usually tape up the runner openings and carb holes just to be safe too, but occasionally the tape will break and some beads will get into the runners.  I've read lots of reports online from people who say no matter how you prepare the intake you will never get all the glass beads out of the runner passages, but good compressed air and some long reach nozzles have always gotten the job done for me.  I've also run water from a hose through the runners on occasion, if I haven't been sure that the grease and oil aren't completely gone before the glass beading.  Bottom line is glass beading leaves a very nice finish and isn't anything to be afraid of.

Same here. I always put a strip of wide painters tape over the ports, then a couple layers of duct tape. Duct tape gives you strength to resist beads blasting everywhere, while the painters tape allows it to peel off easier. Just didn't aim at the side of the tape so it wouldn't start to release and let beads in. I also tried to trim around the ports so the tape was not hanging out and susceptible to being peeled off by air pressure. Once done, lots of compressed air, then carefully pull the tape off with it aimed down. More compressed air, followed by a good pressure wash or hard stream of water while brushing the ports. More air and called it good. Never had a problem with beads remaining.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
Go to your local LOWES and buy the playground sand in the concrete block section.  It is very fine sand, and use low air pressure to sand blast the manifold.  If you have a pressure washer that you use for sidewalks, or garage floors, or to degrease engine compartments, use that to clean the runners of the intake manifold.  It will look great, restore a semi-natural looking finish, and be easy to clear coat, or paint.  I used to use sand blast sand which  comes in different grades from course to fine, but the sand they sell at Lowes for play ground/sand boxes is cleaner, and smaller grit.  Cheaper, too.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »
Lots of people use glass beads.  I used to use it until I got to spend some time working with the returns and failure analysis lab guys at Federal-Mogul.  When we put failed bearings, pistons, and oil pumps under the microscope you would frequently see them just packed with glass beads - a very characteristic round globular appearance.  They would wreak havoc on parts and you would often not even see the damage as much as notice the early degradation in performance.

Stainless shot works really well on castings, but you need to use adhesive foil to protect any machined surfaces.  Otherwise use something soft (plastic) or organic that will break down (walnut or soda).

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »
Thx Barry! Here are some bike stories (sad):

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=46552.0

Hey, I'm no Cassandra but when other media works as well and doesn't destroy an engine..............................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:20:52 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 09:22:02 PM »
Appreciate the input folks. I already use glass beads with other stuff, but I can access ALL areas unlike the long runners of an Fe intake. I’ll get some walnut shells and see how I feel about it. If not I kinda like Joes pressure washer idea.

Lars, no machine shops nearby so it’s all on me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:24:12 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 09:26:30 PM »
I have used soda, but it isn’t the best

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 09:26:57 PM »
Well when i worked as a mecanic for the airforce there was alot i was not allowed
to do and a lot i had to do. I cheat a lot when i work on my car. I dont safetywire
every bolt, i dont handle my wheelbearings in a clean room with a  white coat and
special shoes , i dont inspect my wingbolts under microscope
But on the other hand.....I not going to make 9G manouvers   rev the engine above
20000 rpm, fly at 40000feet or cruice at treetop height with full afterburner in the
Galaxie  ;) ;D