Author Topic: 1969 Torino(?) Cobra Rebuild  (Read 30395 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: 1969 Torino(?) Cobra Rebuild
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2021, 04:21:49 PM »
As it is at the moment...

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2021, 06:21:28 PM »
It’s really not bad 1 maybe 1.5 inches in the back 2 in the front and that should do it. I’m not a fan of it being to low.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2021, 11:22:58 PM »
looks good Jayb

I do like the stance on this one

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2021, 07:49:44 PM »
Looking good! When I was 16, after I was involved in a accident with my first 68 Mustang, I went to south Denver to look at a original R-code 69 Cobra that had a built 460 with a tunnel ram sticking thru the hood! Beautiful Candy Brandywine paint, Oh it looked awesome! 5,000$ and my Dad thru a fit saying I couldn't get it Insured. I was heartbroken! I still have never seen or heard about that car since.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »
Here's a pretty cool collection of Ford ads from back in the day.  I don't know if those dudes in the white slacks would convince me to buy though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5uUIvoL_w
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2021, 10:37:38 AM »
Finally hit the paint milestone with this project so I thought I'd post some pictures.  After Steve got the body work done he brought it back over to my place and we took it all apart, removing the doors, hood, trunklid, and scoop, so that they could be painted in the jamb and underside areas, and also the top side of the scoop.  I painted the parts on a Saturday in October; here's a picture of the parts in the booth after painting:

From there, I took the parts out of the booth and rolled the car into the booth.  A few days later Steve came over and between the two of us we scuffed the underhood and under trunk areas, and the door jambs of the car, so that all those areas could be painted before we re-assembled the car for final paint.  There was some surface rust in the door jambs that we treated with metal prep, and also some minor bodywork that had to be done, but a day in the booth took care of all that and we were ready to re-assemble the car.  We did that a few days later, and then left the car because I was planning to tweak the panels for fit a little bit.

One of the things that always bothered me about the car was that the left front fender appeared to droop down a little at the front.  It was obvious when looking at the car in the front, from a distance, but when doing the bodywork in a garage, and assembling the car in the booth, you really couldn't see it.  Finally I figured out that if I opened the hood and laid a 6 foot straightedge across the front fenders, the issue was clear.  The straightedge contacted the hood side of both fenders, and on the right side there was a half inch gap between the straightedge and the top of the outside edge of the fender, but on the left side the same gap was over one inch.  From a distance it makes the car look funny.  At some point in the past the car was probably dinged or damaged in the front, so the left front fender didn't align properly.

I used a jack under the left fender eyebrow to get it up in the correct position, put some new holes in the fender where it mounts to the chassis, and got the fenders looking symmetrical side to side.  Unfortunately, when I did that the gap between the left fender and the left door opened way up at the bottom, and where it had looked pretty good before I started, now it was way off.  I was so tired of screwing around with the car that I was ready to let that go; it's never going to be a show car, and I felt that I could live with that gap.  But Steve came over and thankfully insisted that we fix it; he welded an 1/8" welding rod to the edge of the fender, and then filled the gap between the rod and the fender in with more weld, then ground it straight along the edge.  One application of body filler was all that was required to get it nice and straight, and now the gap is back where it belongs. 

At this point we threw some primer surfacer on the area and got that nice and flat, and also fixed a minor issue on the left rear quarter, that showed up under the lights in the booth.  Finally, ready for paint!  Here's a picture of the car at this point:

Saturday November 6 was paint day.  We got going with a coat of PPG DAS 3021 sealer, then painted the base coat of PPG Deltron, Ford Candy Apple Red, paint code T.  Base coat went on beautifully:

Finally we got to the clear.  I used a PPG high performance clear called VC5700, same stuff that I used on my Shelby.  We put nearly two full gallons of clear mix on the car, in four separate coats.  When I painted my Shelby I had laid it on a little too thick on the last coat, trying to smooth it out, and had gotten a couple runs that needed to be sanded out later, so I made a point of not doing that on this paint job.  The paint came out looking great, but because I put it on a little dryer there was orange peel evident:

Of course, the big advantage of a base coat and clear coat system is that you can color sand and buff the car after the painting is completed.  I got going on that yesterday, with my friend Jeff (JericoGTX on this forum) giving me a hand.  We are going to do this in steps, since with this clear there really doesn't seem to be any big hurry to get the buffing done.  We started with 600 grit to get the paint flat, then went to 1000, 1500, and finally 2000.  Jeff buffed with 3M 36060 buffing compound, then finished with 3M 06064 polishing compound.  We got most of one side of the car done yesterday, and it is beautiful:

Over the next month or so I plan to get the buffing finished up, and then I'll start on the exterior trim and the interior.  The car currently has a running 390 in it, but I've got a 492" FE waiting in the wings, for installation next summer.  With luck I'll be driving the car next summer with that engine in it.  I'll post some updates when the trim is on the car, and the interior as it is getting done.  I'm kind of a Mustang guy, but I really do like this car... :D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2021, 10:54:53 AM »
Jay - That paint and body work look really nice  :D

Sometimes those oddball projects end up being the most satisfying!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »
Looks great!

My dad and I are Mustang guys as well. But he had a 69 Cobra just like this years ago that was his favorite to drive. He has told me several times, once you drive a Cobra, you will throw rocks at a Mustang.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2021, 03:47:23 PM »
Looking good Jay! Can't wait to see it done.

Looking at google earth the other day realized you are only about 1 mile away from my sister in law and have driven by your place without realizing that!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2021, 04:58:28 PM »
You should stop in next time you are here, just give me a day or two notice in advance.  For my part, I was just in Phoenix visiting my Dad; keep thinking about making it up to Cave Creek, which is where you are if I'm not mistaken.  Used to go to the Satisfied Frog every now and then...
Jay Brown

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2021, 12:11:52 PM »
Sweet! Looks great
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2021, 09:54:08 AM »
Nice progress! Looks great in red. Should be a fun ride.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2023, 04:58:59 PM »
It's hard to believe that it has taken this long for me to get this car almost roadworthy again.  Over a year and a half.  FE Power has kept me scrambling, changing foundries, updating foundry tooling and CNC programs, testing intake manifolds and designing the tooling for those, etc. etc.  Plus, getting the parts for this car took forever.  But a few weeks ago I finally got a bunch of intake adapter and cylinder head castings that I've been waiting for, and the CNC machines have been humming away, so I've finally had a few weekends to get after this project.

Most of the time was spent on the interior and trim.  My pal Steve did a lot of it for me.  Took six months to get new upholstery for the front buckets, but when they arrived Steve grabbed the seats and the upholstery, and took it all home to recover the seats there.  A couple of days later, he came over to show me what he had found stuffed up under the driver seat.  Cracked us both up.  Did I mention that this car was a relic from the 1970s?

The interior went together slowly as the parts arrived over the last year or so, but had been stalled since January.  Over the last two weekends I hit it hard, and managed to get it mostly finished up.  The car still is in desperate need of fender and hood alignment on the driver's side; I think the hood hinge on that side might be bent, because I can't get it to sit down properly.  It also needs a radio antenna, a wiper motor, the mounting nuts for the side mirror, and a few other odds and ends.  Today before pulling it out of its home in the paint booth I changed oil, and found some bits of cast piston in the drain oil.  Not what I was hoping for.  There is a  390GT engine currently in the car, the 428SCJ being long gone before I got it, so I'm going to replace that engine anyway, but I was hoping it was in better shape than this.  It smokes like a chimney but doesn't sound bad, no knocks or anything.  The accelerator pump on the Holley 780 vacuum carb leaks, but oil pressure is reasonably good and it doesn't overheat, so I'm going to drive it a little and see what happens.  By the way, the Cobras never came with a C stripe on them, but I like them, so I put one on.  Purists be damned  ;D

Some pictures are below.  It's no show car, being a rusted out POS when I got it, but at this point I'm pretty happy with it.  I will post again once I get the new engine installed and the engine compartment cleaned up.  I do have an original oil cooler setup for the car, and I bought one of those fiberglass reproduction ram air setups from fordramair.com, so along with the polished aluminum CJ valve covers I think it will look pretty good, and at least somewhat original, under the hood.  Also have a new set of headers to replace the old rusty and leaky ones, and they are FPAs, so the oil cooler setup will fit.  Looking forward to cruising around a little in the next week or so...

Jay Brown

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2023, 11:05:12 PM »
Looks good Jay...well done
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2023, 06:39:12 AM »
Looks great!  Nothing left over in the barn to swap old smokey out of there? 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch