Author Topic: How do you Mustang/Fairlane guys do it?  (Read 5815 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Re: How do you Mustang/Fairlane guys do it?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »
Alan, you didn't mention if your headers were coated or not.  I have coated headers in my 68 Mustang, stock carpeting and carpet pad, and a really beat up firewall blanket, and have no interior heat issues whatsoever.  If your headers aren't coated, I'll bet that is a large percentage of the problem...
They are not coated as in Jet-Hot or anything like that. I did use some spray on coating I got from Eastwood's but I don't think it offers much of a heat barrier. Since I am going to swap out the 428CJ anyway I guess I might as well ship my headers off to get them coated while it's apart.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »
Us Mustang guys are just inherently tough  ;)
No argument there, Doug. :)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 05:32:09 PM »
... I guess I might as well ship my headers off to get them coated while it's apart.

Alan, you might want to check around locally to you before shipping them. I used to send my headers off, but we have a couple good coating places local to us in the Twin City area, no reason to send them off anymore. Ask around with your local racers, race car builders, etc. Saves any possible shipping loss or damage too. 
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 08:53:57 PM »
Im with doug. Alittle heat and a couple of busted up knuckles never hurt anyone.
The payoff is worth it

plovett

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 05:10:00 PM »
I agree on the ceramic coated headers.  Worth every penny.

Also, you might raise the back of the hood with washers.  Maybe a 3/8".  It lets the hot air at lower speeds.  At high speed I'm not sure if it lets air out or pulls it in.  Either way it has to help cool.

JMO,

paulie 

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
I have a Crites teardrop hood on it now that is open in the back. The headers are homemade by me and aren't really that close to the firewall or the floor. I'll get them coated and see how that goes but time(for me anyway) is running out fast for Dragweek.
  Another thing happened was just as I was pulling in the driveway the car died just like the ignition had shut off. I was able to get it going but it did it again as I was halfway through the garage door and it shut off like the ignition was turned off then it would not restart. It cranked just fine and had gas. I am assuming it must have been heat related since after it cooled off it started again. I have my MSD located in the passenger compartment so it should not have gotten overheated. Maybe it was the coil...I don't know.   

mmason

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 08:37:27 PM »
Sounds like a bad ignition switch.
Michael Mason

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 09:30:13 PM »
Sounds like a bad ignition switch.
Could be but it's brand new as well as all the wiring and I have never had that problem before while running it in the shop.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 09:45:13 PM »
Exactly how the Mustang would act when the pickup was going bad....twice. I'm guessing it's a new distributor, but I wouldn't bet a paycheck that it wasn't the problem.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
Exactly how the Mustang would act when the pickup was going bad....twice. I'm guessing it's a new distributor, but I wouldn't bet a paycheck that it wasn't the problem.
I am already looking at putting my old Accel dual point in it for now. I would rather tackle just one problem at a time!

jbamber

• View Profile
    • www.BamberEngineering.com
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 06:42:41 PM »
Alan, you may be burning fuel in your headers, which would cause your headers to be much hotter than normally expected.  Very late (retarded) ignition timing and/or very advanced cam timing can cause this.  I doubt it is cam timing since such extreme timing would probably cause the piston and valves to collide.  Burning fuel in headers can go from bad to worse if fuel tuning is based upon EGTs - the high temps would normally indicate a lean condition, so the EGT based tuning would result in the addition of more fuel, which will make the problem more acute.

If fuel is burning in your headers, you will likely experience other problems (shutting off unexpectedly) as you indicate. Did the paint on your headers burn more than you would expect?
John Bamber
Bamber Engineering
www.BamberEngineering.com
e-mail: john@bamberengineering.com