Author Topic: Add oil restrictors with heads on?  (Read 5167 times)

unclewill

• View Profile
Add oil restrictors with heads on?
« on: April 15, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
BBM aluminum heads - anyone use restrictors that don't require tapping?  I'd like to avoid pulling the heads...
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Re: Add oil restrictors with heads on?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 06:28:34 PM »
I got the restrictors from Barry R, they just dropped in under the rocker stands. I understand Holley jets work as well - just drop in.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 07:22:34 PM »
Thanks!
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 07:41:10 PM »
Holley jets will fit with BBM heads?  for some reason I thought the feed hole was smaller.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 08:19:52 PM »
Split roll pins work great.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 09:05:45 PM »
The issue is the rocker stand thread insert blocking part of the hole, so grinding is required?  I don't have the heads in front of me at the moment but I have read that the heads should be off before grinding on the insert to avoid contamination of the oil passage.  I can use the old shopvac and magnet trick but if I have to cut threads in the aluminum the risk goes up.
I REALLY REALLY don't want to pull the heads when the repair is right on top.

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:46:52 PM »
You can put pretty much anything in that hole to restrict flow. Trouble is you never know whether it's too much or too little. I like a lot of oil up top to cool the springs but then I only go 1/4 mile at a time. I wouldn't drill or tap but anything you drop into that hole can't go anywhere.   

scott foxwell

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 07:40:46 AM »
Some guys will say it's better to put restrictors in the deck instead of the head. This helps take some pressure off the head gasket and reduce leakage. I did mine in the heads (iron) but I drilled and tapped so I could have better control of the amount of restriction.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 09:26:08 AM »
A BBM head won't take a Holley jet and it will be hard to get anything down in there if the insert hasn't been relieved. 

I like to restrict the head so that if I or the customer has a change of plan, it can be fixed easily without pulling the heads off the engine. 

I've done a little of everything though....if it's an FE that oils through the pushrods, I've plugged the feed in the deck and I have also clocked cam bearings so that the heads don't get oil. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 11:00:15 AM »
Thanks Brent, that's what I thought.  I'm going to pop off the rocker stands to see what can be done.  Was hoping someone may have done this before and had an easy fix to share.  I'll post info if I come up with a clever way to deal with it....

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
I made some "drop in" restrictors for Edelbrock heads when I ran them years ago. I believe the BBM heads have a 3/16" oil passage just like Edelbrock. What I did was use some 3/16 brake tubing, or maybe it was nitrous tubing, and cut off a piece maybe 1 1/8" or so long with a tubing cutter. This made the inside hole smaller than the actual tubing ID, I enlarged it with an awl and dropped them in under the rocker stand. You don't want it too long but anything shorter the what it takes to touch the bottom and not stand proud enough to get in the way of the rocker stand. I think one set I made for someone else I had to reduce the outer diameter a little so it would go down in the hole, maybe the tubing was a little different exact size on the OD. I could pull them back out with a magnet.

You never mentioned what size restrictor you will be running, or more importantly... what rockers you will use. I have found that the needle bearing rockers need a smaller hole as they will bleed more oil off the shaft (something between .053 and .060), where a normal bushing rocker on a good fitting stock shaft can use a bigger hole as they don't bleed as much (like .080 to .100). I just used number drills to "gauge" the hole diameter. I would spin the oil pump with a drill and check out your oil flow so you can see what is going on there.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 05:28:53 PM »
Why exactly are restrictors needed.  For what applications?

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
High rpms cause too much oil to pump into the heads so you restrict the oil feed passage.

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »
Thanks XR7!  I have various solutions to play with now.
I was planning to go about .070 or so but we'll see what fits.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »
Couldn't you just run an external drain line off the back of the valve cover?  Don't have to mess with the rockers, could put a valve on the line to open it at different flow rates or turn it off entirely.