Author Topic: Rubber Stuff  (Read 4328 times)

FElony

Rubber Stuff
« on: March 13, 2018, 02:57:58 PM »
Going to change out all the rubber to fresh stuff. What is the current fuel hose to go to that is resistant to the ethanol in pump gas? Is Gates still a good brand for belts and hoses? Has anyone here used that 303 Protectant on anything?

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Rubber Stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:51:26 PM »
The ethanol resistant hose is teflon lined. I can't give a specific name-brand for it, I just go to my local Napa store and tell the guys there, who know me very well, that that's what I want. It's all I use anymore. Gates still makes good belts, that's what we use at work for just about everything, including HVAC applications and most generic stuff that uses standard size belts, unlike most lawn equipment today, which uses 1/4" increment belts so that you HAVE to buy from them.

I have no idea about the 303 protectant.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FElony

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:03:30 PM »
I stopped at O'Reilly's today (it's next to my local bar). They confirmed that they can get any and all Gates stuff. They don't shelf-stock 303, but they ordered a 16 oz bottle for me to pick up tomorrow for 12.99. There are several vids on the Y about that stuff, hence my curiosity. Vids mention having to buy gallon jugs at $$, but I thought I'd try spray first to dork around with.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=303+protectant

FElony

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 07:11:27 PM »
The ethanol resistant hose is teflon lined. I can't give a specific name-brand for it, I just go to my local Napa store and tell the guys there, who know me very well, that that's what I want. It's all I use anymore. Gates still makes good belts, that's what we use at work for just about everything, including HVAC applications and most generic stuff that uses standard size belts, unlike most lawn equipment today, which uses 1/4" increment belts so that you HAVE to buy from them.

I have no idea about the 303 protectant.

Thank you for your reply, doug. Evidently, you and I are the only ones in this forum that use rubber items instead of string wrapped around the pulleys, cardboard paper towel tubes for radiator, and Silly Straws for fuel line.

The counter guy at the store mentioned that the few customers that order 303 are adamant about using nothing else, so hopefully it's not snake oil. Or, maybe it really is snake oil. Hmmm...

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 07:39:55 PM »
Hard line, chains, and pipe .   ;-)
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:53:50 PM »
Ahaaa strings wrapped around pulleys ;D I got a real good story about that
FE related, including a dead cow in a Van, a guy looking like a perverted
serial killer, a knife, two girls ( Screaming and running),
Late one night along a dark empty country road but don't want to highjack
another tread

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

FElony

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:23:27 PM »
Ahaaa strings wrapped around pulleys ;D I got a real good story about that
FE related, including a dead cow in a Van, a guy looking like a perverted
serial killer, a knife, two girls ( Screaming and running),
Late one night along a dark empty country road but don't want to highjack
another tread

Any story with a perverted serial killer is worth reading.

FElony

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:27:59 PM »
Hard line, chains, and pipe .   ;-)

Tough guy, huh? Well, I just got done watching almost an hour of Stock and Super Stock racing, and I'm amped up enough to pelt you to smithereens with a bunch of brownies that Rasta overcooked today. Take THAT!!

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:34:40 PM »
 ;D Well...I was 19-20 early 80s and me and a friend went up north. We talking deliverance
country here. Squeal like a pig and all that...The friend had found a 66 Galaxie for sale so we
went and bought that, It had some issues like no working lights, , welded diff, And it was
 painted with coal tar.
One tire had the cord visible so the seller offered a wheel from a Volvo Duett
So we put that on and of we went to get home before dark,  After an hour of driving i noticed
 smoke coming from a rear tire so we stopped and the Volvo tire was boiling,
different height and welded diff. ::)
So we went home in my car after two Ford wheels and in town we meet two girls that wanted
to hang out with us so we thought lets fix this Ford quick and then we can....socialize or something ;)

Went up north changed the tire fast.now it was dark so we took a wire from the battery to the lights
and got one lowbeam working. After a few miles the fanbelt gave up  so we tried to stop a car and ask
if they had a spare belt. Middle of nowhere in the forrest. First car that stopped when they saw the
Galaxie the took of like a paycheck. Then a Mercedes van stopped, the guy driving was dirty, bearded,
coke bottle glasses smelled like a farm animal, 3-4 brown toths. I asked if he had a belt?....Noooo  ho ho ho
do you have any rope or some thing? Yes... ho ho ho look in the  back of the van  ho ho ho. I opened the
side door and the lights went on and there was a dead cow laying in a through with blood. The girls saw
it :o and screamed and ran in to the woods. ;D The cow had a nylon rope around its neck so i tried to release
the knot but no luck so i asked the laughing serial killer if he had a knife so i could cut the rope? yes ho ho ho
so he stepped out of the van went around with his knife in his hand  ho ho ho. The girls had decided a dead cow
mayby wasnt that dangerous after all so they was coming back from the woods when they see the serialkiller
sneaking up behind me with a knife in his hand......Remember this was the early 80s when favourite hobby for
girls that age ,  was watching Friday the 13th and other horror movies at their christmastpresent VCR
They realy Squeled like pigs and run deaper in to the woods. I cut the rope gave the knife back, the serial killer
continued where ever he was going with the cow/girlfriend.
Me and the friend alomst died laughing  the girls came out from the woods crying and wanted to go home NOOOOW ;D ;D

Noooo score for any of us  ??? ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But the Galaxie had a 390 four barrel
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:36:25 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 12:28:56 AM »
Heo, that is a great story. Thanks for sharing.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Voodoojl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 07:43:57 AM »

FElony

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »
Gates Barricade Fuel Hose

https://www.gates.com/fluid-power/engine-hose/fuel-line-hose/c/201

Hey thanks! Lots of good stuff on Gates' site. Anyone, is Barricade NHRA legal?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 06:38:46 PM »

NHRA rules only dictate where and how much hose can be used. Only short sections to join lines together. Rules are based on class mostly. I don't recall seeing anything based on what type of rubber hose can be used, unless it's banned altogether or calls for braided with fittings, again based on class.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FElony

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 07:11:13 PM »

NHRA rules only dictate where and how much hose can be used. Only short sections to join lines together. Rules are based on class mostly. I don't recall seeing anything based on what type of rubber hose can be used, unless it's banned altogether or calls for braided with fittings, again based on class.

I was sure there was some kind of requirement for the pump-to-carb line, even for Test'n'Tune, which is where this car will be. Something about whether you run an attached fan or not? I know about the dual throttle return spring, and proper battery hold down hardware. Can't find my old Rule Book, so I guess I'll shay-shay to a website or two.

FElony

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 08:33:16 PM »
I was sure there was some kind of requirement for the pump-to-carb line, even for Test'n'Tune, which is where this car will be. Something about whether you run an attached fan or not? I know about the dual throttle return spring, and proper battery hold down hardware. Can't find my old Rule Book, so I guess I'll shay-shay to a website or two.

OK, I found some rules.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:16:37 PM by FElony »