Author Topic: drill bit is out!  (Read 6489 times)

Jim Comet

• View Profile
drill bit is out!
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:14:13 PM »
Does anyone know of a EDM bolt removal service in Minnesota. All my other attempts have failed. Thanks, Jim

So I decide to do some of the oil mods on my std. bore really nice mirror 105 block tonight. Ive done a few before with no problem. This time I change things up and lube my drill bit with Deep Creep and when I am about 10 inches into the from oil passage that goes from the filter mount to the center oil passages. I've never used Deep Creep before to lube a drill bit but it was close by so I gave it a spray and boy did it bite hard and snap. 5 inches down the passage is 5-6 inches of wedged drill bit. I think the block may be junk. I used a grade 8 bolt and make a fork on the end tapped it in and tried to reverse the rotation. No luck. Any miracle help out there? It is a blind hole so I cannot tap it back out. Jim
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:07:11 AM by Jim Comet »

chris401

Re: broken drill bit removal
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 11:31:38 PM »
Can you drop a dozen or so ball bearings down the top side of the hole and use them as a wedge? Same principal as grease to pop out a pilot bearing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
Jim, that is a tough problem.  Can you look into the main bearing hole of #1 and see the drill bit?  Any chance you can get a pick or something in there to pry on it?
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »
I don't think the ball bearing trick will work because there is a 90 degree turn they would have to go around. Unfortunately when the bit broke it was because it bit in too aggressively so I am thinking it either needs to be rotated in revers which I have been unsuccessfull in doing, or driven out. I will try to reverse rotate it some more to get it loose but I am not confident that will work. If it means the block is junk anyway, I may try drilling a hole just above the drill bit tip and try and drive it out. I would then tap the new hole for a pipe plug. I would then have to re drill the passage carefully past where the pipe plug intrudes.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:30:44 AM »
Make sure you blow lots of air down the hole to remove all chips.  Some penetrating oil will also reduce friction to help twist it.  I think you're on the right track, just twist it  back and forth. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »
Maybe a little quick heat on the block right where it is stuck might help open the passage a bit and loosen the grip it has?  Too much heat it will soak into the bit and expand it also.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:22:56 AM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 12:13:31 PM »
Reverse rotation drill bit.

Heat up a long thin rod to cherry red and carefully insert it into hole and heat the end of broken bit.  Maybe you can anneal it enough to get a bite into it, or repeated heating might loosen the bit.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
Have it EDM-ed out. Not cheap but it may save your block and all the headaches associated with DYI methods.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 12:54:07 PM »
EDM'ed?
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »
Reverse rotation drill bit.

That's what I was going to suggest. If it's bit into the metal, you just need to get it un-bit (for lack of a legitimate word), then you should be able to get it backed out....with a lot of patience. I'd think just lightly nibbling at it with a reverse drill bit should eventually get it backed off enough.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
The hard part about a reverse rotation drill bit is it has to be 8 inches long to reach it by the time you chuck it in the drill. I will see if there is anything available.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »
Be a bitch to get any bit to bite on a hardened broken bit. Would think you'd have to create a level area first. Would take a hell of a lot of nips.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »
Knock a piece of solid rod about 1" long in behind the bit the same size as the bit y9u used to drill. Start with a long 1/4" bit and drill through the solid rod and on into the bit. The slug of solid rod will help keep your bit centered and supported so you can drill into the broken bit.
Now you can drill the slug out and try a 1/4" easy out or if it's going well just drill on through with the 1/4" bit, then step up to a 5/16" then a 3/8"  and finally a 7/16". This may not be necessary if you get a good 1/4" hole started in the bit and can get a good bite with an easy out.
I have used this technique several times before for retrieving broken bolts and bits down inside a passage.
Just my 2 cents..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 02:03:56 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »
Be a bitch to get any bit to bite on a hardened broken bit. Would think you'd have to create a level area first. Would take a hell of a lot of nips.

That's where the patience comes in. I've done it a few times in aluminum, where you have to be real careful so you don't get to drilling off into the aluminum. But all you're trying to do is just wiggle it backwards enough to loosen the bite, then you can use several things to try and get it out of the hole. But I agree with Jim, finding a reverse bit that long would be difficult. I have a local machine shop ran by a friend that can usually help me out with oddball requests. Worse case, I've welded drill bits to longer shafts before, but you have to make sure they're fairly straight.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »
Yeah a bitch all the way around. I think Keith's idea of giving the rescue bit a pilot to support it is brilliant. Being 5 inches in just sucks.
Hope you get it Jim, good luck.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428