Author Topic: scary thought,fe die?  (Read 16534 times)

fe-starliner

• View Profile
Re: scary thought,fe die?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »
No panache for the FE?  That's ridiculous, IMO.  NASCAR winner, LeMans winner, NHRA and SCCA champion, and no panache??  I think the historical significance of the FE far outweighs the flatty, especially when it comes to high performance and racing.  The FE will be around for long time to come...
[/quot 

I agree with Jay 100%.
1960 Starliner, 406-6V, TKO-600, 4.11 9"
1961 Starliner, 427 4V, SS700 5 speed, 4.56 9"
1968 F-100 SWB, 352 4V, C6, 3.25 9"
2012 Mustang, 226" V6, 6 speed auto, 3.31 8.8"

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 05:53:27 PM »
Well if any of you guys wanna give up on the FE then I'll be glad to take some of your stuff off a your hands for you..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »
Interesting topic.  I’m 42 and still feel like one of the youngest when I attend FE events.  However, show up the Fords Carlisle and there are plenty of younger guys, all driving late model Mustangs of course.  Plenty are being modified as well, it’s more bolt on oriented but guys are still rebuilding engines and such.  Look at the aftermarket and I don’t think the hobby as a whole is in any trouble

I think the Flathead was more ubiquitous, the FE is much more a niche engine and following and I think it’ll wane a bit but that’s still a ways off.  There is a trend towards “different” combos so I think they FE will survive

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 07:17:20 PM »
Scary thought about driverless cars.The one
who controlls the cars (the goverment atleast
in Sweden) controll where you are allowed to go
A dream senario for a mad dictator

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 08:16:42 PM »
I'll keep running my old rusty junk.....

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »
I'm 28, and have a full unused basement, so anybody that needs a safe place to send their parts when the FE is dead.....
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 11:01:52 PM »
It is good to know that some of you are as young as 28. I was on a team that ran a tough old 64 galaxie stock car. When the mid 70's came along the move was to the 350- 351 engines with a 358 limit. I had to reduce inventory of Fe parts. I basically gave away intakes, steel cranks, heads. The 427 block still was valuable then  probably got $300 for them. At that time nobody was using them around here. There was one local guy that was buying, but like $25 for a sidewinder intake. I remember I sold him a pretty much new 427 medium riser 2-4bbl manifold for $30. About 10 years later I stopped to see George and he still had about 15 complete 427's, plus high riser heads, manifolds, the intakes I had sold him 10 years earlier still on the shelves in his shop. He later got in trouble with the IRS and banks and everything was gone. Somebody got that load of parts.

urchinhead

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 11:08:33 PM »
I'm 28, and have a full unused basement, so anybody that needs a safe place to send their parts when the FE is dead.....

Unused basement!? That's where I stash all the Cobra Jet parts I've been hoarding.

I'm 36, but this hobby is expensive and when you can get a four Cylinder 300 hp Mustang at 0% down I do understand why most people don't care about our obsession for 50 year old + rusted parts. I love 'em, but my wife was not happy helping put a C6 under there tonight.
1964 Galaxie 500 Convertible, drivetrain on stand
1970 F100 Custom, 428 - body work and paint in progress

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 12:40:30 AM »
Likewise, if anybody wants to give up their stuff, I'm also 36, and I plan to be around for a while.  I will say the cost scares a bunch of people away. Personal example: I need to get a new transmission console for the Cyclone (which shares with the Fairlane).  Never re-popped, and they go for ~1k.  1k for a piece of molded 1960's plastic.  I haven't ran into anyone who doesn't think I'm crazy paying that price. 

Joe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 09:52:01 AM »
25 yrs ago I thought all my hot rods would be worth something in the future.  Not like I could retire after selling off, but worth at least something.   Now, not so much.  I've even had thoughts of selling off at least one, then slowing drop out of the racing scene.  Just downsizing and playing with something easier to move around. 

The one who dies with the most toys..........still dies.   :-\

20 yrs ago, I never would have even considered it.  Middle age seems to make you think differently.
Larry

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »
I have to agree with Battlestar after the last engine failure I lost alot of interest. I have been screwing around with this car for 45 yrs. Maybe its time for a new hobby. I doubt I will be at the FE reunion this year unless I get a jolt of motivation.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:13:56 AM by sixty9cobra »

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »
The one who dies with the most toys..........still dies.

Ya but he had the most fun. I am 49 and I never owned an Fe powered car until 3 years ago and currently have 2. There is still a lot on interest in old muscle cars. I know a 24 year old kid that already has three 60`s cougars. Probably the biggest challenge on the ford end is having available parts for motors and mid size fords  like cyclones and torinos and fairlanes.                                                     
Remember, RPM is your friend

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 10:31:01 AM »
No panache for the FE?  That's ridiculous, IMO.  NASCAR winner, LeMans winner, NHRA and SCCA champion, and no panache??  I think the historical significance of the FE far outweighs the flatty, especially when it comes to high performance and racing.  The FE will be around for long time to come...

LOL - Not trashing the motor by any means.  But walk through a field of "hot rods" or Street Rodder type cars and bet the FEs could be counted on one hand.  If it's not a SBC or a Nailhead it's probably a flatty.  Yes the FE has a great history, but it wasn't here first - flatty was and that's what stuck.  21 yeas of production vs 18 for the FE so similar, but hod rod still = flatty.  If you look at where most of the FE is used in cars, it's pretty much 64~70 would be most of the bell curve.  As long as there is an interest in those years of production the FE will have a primo place.  If not - poof.  351C has it harder in the US being made for only 5 years and it would likely already be a museum piece if not for the longer production run and performance work done in Australia. 

Also - note that the SBF (Windsor platform) has been out of production for 17 YEARS.  So cores are getting a lot harder to find.  But there is still a glut of parts available being the the engine platform was produced for 39 years. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:34:08 AM by Falcon67 »

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »
  If you look at where most of the FE is used in cars, it's pretty much 64~70 would be most of the bell curve.  As long as there is an interest in those years of production the FE will have a primo place. 

You need to extend that range of vehicles a good bit.  The starting off point is probably closer to 1957 since so many of those were or get upgraded to the "new back then" FE platform - and more importantly you really need to include the F series trucks through 1976.  I would say that over 30% of my business is trucks - they are incredibly popular and they probably made more of those than they did FE Mustangs and Galaxies over the years.  The Cobra kit and Dynacorn phenomenon is also unique in that "new" cars are getting built and put into service on an annual basis - something that is only comparable to the 1932-34 Ford street rods in terms of unit volume.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
I think the historical significance of the FE far outweighs the flatty, especially when it comes to high performance and racing.

I'd seriously have to disagree with that statement. Until the SBC arrived, the flathead was THE performance engine for over 20 years. It set nearly every record in every venue of racing. It was in every car in every performance or custom magazine. It also had a huge aftermarket support system when no other engine had anything available. The flathead was "IT" when it came to performance. That's also why it has enjoyed a huge resurgence over the last 10-15 years or so, and continues to do so, because of the cool history that surrounds them. The flat head is the most iconic performance engine every made, in my opinion. It started everything. The FE was just more visible to the public, in its racing forms, compared to the flathead. Racing was still considered a "dirty" sport, or something that trouble makers got into, when the flathead was dominating everything.

I still like the FE better, but I'd put the flathead a close second.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe