Author Topic: scary thought,fe die?  (Read 16535 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
scary thought,fe die?
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
i was talking to a man the other day and he told me something that kinda worried me.he said almost all fe guys are older men and that the fe after market support would dry up in a few years when us older guys die out.that hit me pretty hard because after i got to thinking about it,i could not think of any fe guys younger than me and im about to turn 55 next month.how about some input on this subject,what do you guys think?
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: scary thought,fe die?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
Ask the flathead guys about this.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:05:55 PM »
They’re not going anywhere.

As long as there are Cobra replicas, Mustangs, Fairlanes, Cougars, Galaxies, etc, there will be FE engines.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 12:22:36 PM »
Unfortunately I have to agree with him.  Unless it's installed in a rare vehicle.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
To be fair though, that's all they're installed in now.  Ordinary, run of the mill cars just don't have FE's in them.....they are rare muscle cars. 

Barry was right, there's always going to be niche engines out there. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 01:18:25 PM »
Yeah, tell that to the Model A and Model T guys!  ;)
Bob Maag

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 01:53:53 PM »
I just turned 39.
I own two vehicles.
Both have FE's.

There are more like me.......

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 01:59:48 PM »
Go to the Facebook Flathead forum and take a look. Guys all around the world are still
looking for them and building them. They are always looking for parts and buildable blocks.
I'm with Brent and Barry on this.  As long as these old cars exist there will be people looking
to build engines for them.
G503 is a military vehicle forum and I was amazed at the world wide demand for old military vehicles
and parts.
There may come a day when the FE dies but probably not in my lifetime.

garyv

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 02:23:23 PM »
Depends - at a higher level, the entire hobby is in danger.  The kids my grandson (17) hang with drive pickups or cars and the pickups are about bumpers, lifts and tires because this is west Texas.  There is not mass trasit here because it's 60 miles between towns and pretty much you need a vehicle to get anywhere.  However, a lot of them just don't care and fore sure nobody wants some old car.  Grandkid took a year to complete the paperwork for a license because it wasn't a big deal.  Plenty of people to ride with.  Most of us were at the door before the DPS Office opened - not like that any more.  Big city - lots of driver's age people don't care to even have a car.  Especially if they have a student loan - some car payment will just kill them.  Our 2014 Fusion for example - we'd save over $3000 a year driving the F150 because of payment, insurance, warranty, etc. 

The Friday crowd at the drag strip - for every car with some mod, there are 10 with nothing.  Or they are factory hotrods owned by people in the AF with that kind of cash.  And again - a lot of diesel pickups. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:26:41 PM by Falcon67 »

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
Not just FE...Hot rods, muscle cars, race cars and hot boats in general. The younger generation is not following in their fathers or grand fathers foot steps. Seems they are more interested in I-phones, drones, computers and whatever the latest electronic gadget that comes out. Every year that I go to the drag races it seems it is more "greybeards" and fewer young people than the previous year. With the cost involved in owning a car, any car, most can only afford one. That one car has to be basic transportation, commuter car, insurable and get as good of fuel mileage as possible. Add the fact that most have nowhere to work on a car eliminates those few that would like to have a second "hobby" car.  Most, if not all high schools no longer has any type of shop class so the average kid doesn't know a 9/16" box wrench from a dead blow hammer and doesn't care. Lord forbid they should get their hands dirty. Old cars [80s and earlier] are no longer affordable, parts are getting hard to find and with the "Barret/Jackson" buy & flip mentality everyone who has one of these old cars thinks it is a world class classic and is priced accordingly. Lets not forget that in most states the car has to pass smog and/or safety inspection, another road block. As I see it we are a dying breed.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »
And one more "site ban-able" blasphemy LOL  - the FE doesn't really have the "panache" of the flat head.  Neither does the 351C. Only thing close is SBF, SBC, LS. Those and the Flathead should live on a long while.  FE and 351C have good support but also have a pretty high "barrier to entry" if you are picking project motors, unless your project comes with a rebuildable model.  Used to see a lot of FEs in the scrap yard - last time I was out in the big old yard, not so much.  351C - none, not a single one in 200 acres of cars. 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 03:09:32 PM »
No panache for the FE?  That's ridiculous, IMO.  NASCAR winner, LeMans winner, NHRA and SCCA champion, and no panache??  I think the historical significance of the FE far outweighs the flatty, especially when it comes to high performance and racing.  The FE will be around for long time to come...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 03:11:17 PM »
It's kind'a sad, but the car "thing" has its days numbered.
Here in California, legislation is being considered that will ban gas powered cars to be sold by 2040.

20 years ago, I had lots of local pals with hot rods. In January I'd print-up a paper that would say what car shows and drag meets myself and Mrs.-T would be attending and that we'd love to have others come along. I'd mail them out to my pals.

Sadly, we have been going to cars events by ourselves for several years now because even our "gray beard" pals have dropped out. I'd say the whole car culture is in a free-fall. I'll keep doing it because that is what I do...but I certainly don't expect old car stuff to get bigger.

Enjoy it while you can. One more thing for you FE parts hoarder guys. Better get to building that "some day" motor and put it in a real car. Some day is here.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
My daughter is into horses.  Similar fate awaits the car hobby.  Fewer participants but still plenty of enthusiasts.  Similar venue - take your critter, put it in a trailer, and go to an event.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
I have to agree with Barry, after hearing Bob Lutz talk about the future of the automobile and it's role in transport. Autonomous cars Artificial intelligence are coming. I saw a Volvo test vehicle come through the security gate, stop and pick and empty bay and back up to the dock, all with no driver. The cars GM and Ford are planning have no steering​ wheel or other controls. You climb into your pod and say we're your destination is, and you are wisked away. Lutz predicted that in less than 20 years, driver control cars would be banned from urban areas and highways. When Lutz was asked about the old car hobby, he said he envisioned there would be driving clubs with facilities were you could garage your classic and be able to drive it over a short course. It will as Lutz pointed out be a revolution in transport similar to the stage of the automobile replacing the horse.