Author Topic: Sniper Install  (Read 6722 times)

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
Sniper Install
« on: November 16, 2017, 06:20:23 PM »
A few pics. Pressed for time at the moment so will go into more detail later when I have driven it further than around the block. Started first turn, feels snappier.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:38:17 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Sniper Install
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »
Love to hear a bit about your install and how it went.
Been thinking about this for my wagon and maybe brown truck.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:45:43 PM »
Awww, that's cheating :P :P

thanks for documenting, seems like a lot of folks have questions about these setups.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:26:48 PM »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

countrysquire

• View Profile
    • Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »
I plan on running this system on my 462 in my ERA Cobra once it's built, so I'm definitely looking forward to learning more details.

Bobby

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »
Nom nom nom nom  8)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »
Ok, did anyone else go................."the pictures are reverse negatives?".... ;D

Those dern furin cars........... ;)

Seems strange they allow you to put the pump in the front.  Seems most electrics push better then they pull.
Larry

rhinosoft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 04:48:56 PM »
Ok, did anyone else go................."the pictures are reverse negatives?".... ;D

Those dern furin cars........... ;)

Check the brake master cylinder - Made in Australia - right hand drive  8)

Graeme

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »
Seems strange they allow you to put the pump in the front.  Seems most electrics push better then they pull.

The pump is sitting in fuel. Doesn't get any pushier than that.  ;D

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »
OK, so a few details.

Engine is a +.040 390 with slightly touched Edelbrock heads, RPM manifold, balanced etc etc. Cam is a Cam Research 590/590, 240/245@.050 on 110 LSA. Built about 20 years ago. Makes about 7" at idle. Have run various 750's & 800's over the years with the current being a 750HP DP. I had a 1/2" pick up in the tank already with a return line, bypass regulator and Holley blue pump.

An inline pump was never going to cut it as you still have the issue of uncovering the pick up. Not wanting to go to the trouble of an in tank pump I decided on a separate surge tank with built in pump. The Fitech Command centre is stupid & problematic and they most likely came out with this new one because of it.
http://fitechefi.com/products/40007/
RobbMc also makes a decent one but this just looked a bit sexier. Doing it this way allowed me to keep the entire fuel system intact from engine bay back. Less hassle & once I dump the noisy Holley blue I will install a quieter pump with lower pressure. That way I can keep a carb in the boot (trunk) and throw it on in an emergency.....maybe.

I was very disappointed when I received my Sniper unit from Jegs that it appeared to have been opened & several critical items were missing. Holley rectified this but it put back my install by a week & a half.

The Fitech surge tank can mount from the bottom or side. I chose to put it where my regulator was as that is where my two fuel lines come out also. I was concerned about noise mounting it on that flat panel so I cut two small bits of thin rubber to go between. Anyway the pump is very very quite when priming and there is no chance of hearing it with the engine running.  :D

As you can see by the pics a stud pulled out of the manifold so that needed coiling. The coolant sensor is 3/8 npt so I put it where I had the gauge and moved the gauge up with a reducer. There are 3 fuel inlet choices on the sniper but I used the one at the rear because it is the lowest & I have a drop base air filter. There is but one outlet. It is recommended to keep high tension wires & coil away from the unit as much as possible to minimise interference so I made a temporary bracket for my coil to get it further away. I use resistor plugs for this reason also. I use a Crane XR3000 optical trigger in an old Mallory YL. This ran the standard Ford tach fine off the coil so I was hopeful it would be fine for the Sniper. It was.

So, hook up Sniper positive & negative straight to the battery, yellow wire to the coil neg, pink wire to switched 12v and plug in the coolant sensor. The main harness has a built in relay to control the fuel pump. This is a real time saver, so connected this up too.

The little red button next to the surge tank was something I put in ages ago to operate the carb pump when ignition on (or acc) so this was used to prime up the surge tank & check for leaks.

Turned on the unit & entered the parameters in the wizard on the HHC. Car fired up first turn. It would only just run by itself and was better with some throttle. The IAC is not set properly at this stage. Once it warmed up the unit went into learn and it idled around the mark set (900rpm). It was obvious free revving it in neutral that it was snappier. Took it around the block twice & definitely better throttle response.

It got late, dark & I was buggered. Glass of red was had & I was happy...so far. I have put about 50 miles on it since then & it is great to drive. There are still cold & hot start issues but I will get to them. Seems to work pretty good for an engine with only 7". Yesterday I made a pcv valve with a fixed orifice to help with IAC tuning as I don't believe having two controlled variable vacuum leaks is a good thing. So I am taking the variability out of one.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:40:20 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 07:03:58 AM »
Great info, some questions for you

- What cold and hot start issues are you having? 

Just FYI, in other TB installs I have done,  I have seen the owner fight the install by trying to start like a carb.  Especially the Professional Products crap, but, turn key to run, let pump prime and in some cases you will hear a squirt (a lot of the TBs have an enrichment shot at initial fire) then turn key, no foot on the gas pedal

- Does the Sniper have laptop tune options?

- Does the Sniper have any kind of "advanced" mode in the tuner to get in deeper?

- Where did you put the coolant temp sensor, do you run a heater and factory gauge?

- In one of the pictures it looks like you were adding a helicoil, did you just have a bad set of threads or did you do something different for the FITech?

I think I am going with a FITech or Holley on my 445 truck.  Really would like something like my Mustang, but honestly I am not sure the truck needs the adjustibility.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 10:13:51 AM »
Check the brake master cylinder - Made in Australia - right hand drive  8)
Graeme

Ya, it took a minute for me to figure out what I was looking at.  That is why I made the reverse negative comment.

Quote from: 66fairlane
The pump is sitting in fuel. Doesn't get any pushier than that

Okay, so it is like my 90's F150 where it has a pump moving fuel to a small holding tank, then giving it 60 psi from there so you don't have to have a sump in the tank.  I was wondering why the pump looked so big.  That makes sense now.
Larry

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »
Hi Ross

To say I am having 'issues' this early in the process is probably a bit of an overstatement. Just not ideal out of the box and that is to be expected with a hottie. I am sure I will get most of it out with some tuning. IAC position, prime, cranking fuel etc. I just need the time.

1) Yes it can tune with a laptop. Download the "Sniper EFI Software" & have a look. Open a config from the file menu & have a play. I use the race cam base for now. https://www.holley.com/support/resources/#Fuel_Injection
2) The laptop lets you get in a little deeper & finer but the HHC has quite a few parameters.
3) CTS is in the crossover, factory temp gauge up by the thermostat & no heater. See pic below.
4) My RPM manifold is pretty old. A stud pulled out. Thermostat housing did it a couple of years ago too. No biggie.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:41:31 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »
I was curious so I looked it up.... That G-Surge unit from FiTech can be mounted horizontally or vertically. I think it might be neat to hide that under the fender and make a little protection plate so the tire doesn't throw anything at it. Would be pretty stealth.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 07:40:49 PM »
They say horizontal but they really only recommend 45 degrees. I thought about horizontal by the tank but decided against it as you loose some margin for fuel pick up. Under the guard (fender) would be ok but even more prone to damage in a collision.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:42:04 PM by 66FAIRLANE »