Author Topic: Crank Sensor for EFI  (Read 1709 times)

PaulProe

• View Profile
Crank Sensor for EFI
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:32:34 PM »
I am starting a new build, this one will also use a Borla EightStack system. Since it's a ground up build, I am thinking I'd like to add a crank sensor to get better tuning rather than just run a cam sensor type setup

In my mind, I can envision the 12/1 sensor wheel mounted just behind the harmonic balancer. I would imagine the crank spacer would have to be modified to do this. Maybe cut in two and then the sensor wheel sandwiched between them?

Has anyone else done this? any pictures of your setup?

Paul

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Crank Sensor for EFI
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
I did exactly that with a Ford 36-1 crank target wheel.  I bored the center of the wheel out to slip over the FE crank, and then put a keyway in it so that it would index on the key in the crank.  Then I cut the crank spacer in half and machined down one side the thickness of the target wheel, and put it all together.  I used a ZF position sensor, and made a bracket for that to hold it next to the target.

I wouldn't do it again this way though, and here's why.  The diameter of the Ford crank target is smaller than the diameter of the harmonic balancer.  In the limited space between the harmonic balancer and the front cover, it was very difficult to get in there and measure an accurate airgap between the sensor and the target.  When the engine is all assembled and in the car, you just can't get in there easily to check that, in case you are having some problems.  Plus, if you have to remove the sensor and replace it, re-setting the airgap is difficult.  Since that experience I've gone to an external target that bolts onto the front of the harmonic balancer, and is bigger in diameter than the harmonic balancer.  My targets are 3/8" thick so that all the pulleys are spaced out that much, but usually this isn't a big issue.  My targets are also larger in diameter than the balancer at 8", so everything is easily accessible.

You might be able to fit a larger diameter target between the harmonic balancer and the timing cover, but you'd have to build a custom timing pointer to clear it.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

andyf

• View Profile
Re: Crank Sensor for EFI
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 12:31:29 AM »
I built my own trigger wheel for my engine. I used a 36-1 design since that is what Holley used but it is possible to make other configurations. I also machined up a bracket to hold the Holley sensor. The Holley sensor is 12x1mm thread which isn't a super common thread but you can find taps without too much problem. This picture isn't of a FE, but the idea is the same. The bolt pattern and the mounting bracket location might be different on a FE but those are just details.