Author Topic: Trigger Wheel for EFI Crank Sensor  (Read 5761 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Trigger Wheel for EFI Crank Sensor
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »
For any of you guys looking to run EFI, let me share a bit of hard won knowledge regarding the all important crank sensor.  That sensor is absolutely critical to correct engine performance, and it needs a good target to "look" at as the engine is spinning.  If you are using a distributor or a 4 pulse crank trigger setup like an MSD, you won't have any issues, but if you want to go distributorless and take advantage of the better timing available from a multi-toothed trigger wheel, be careful of which one you use.  Some of the aftermarket trigger wheels are laser cut out of thin material (1/8") and if you have any alignment issues or vibration issues at the crank sensor, you can start "losing teeth" at higher speeds, and mess up your timing.  On the high riser in my Mach 1 I had this issue on the dyno, so I ended up making my own trigger wheel.  Currently I'm working on the SOHC in my Shelby clone, and decided to do the same thing.

I started with a scrap piece of 3/8" thick cold rolled steel, which seems to be a pretty good material for the trigger wheel.  You need something magnetic, because the sensors are all magnetic sensors.  I CNC machined a center hole in this piece to fit over the raised nub on the harmonic balancer, and then machined some oblong holes in it at 20 degree intervals so that I could rotate the trigger wheel with respect to the harmonic balancer to make gross timing adjustments.  The holes are oblong because I wanted the wheel to fit either a factory Ford harmonic balancer bolt pattern, or an ATI balancer bolt pattern (which is actually the same as a big block Chev).  Next I built a fixture to bolt this piece to, so that I could machine the teeth around the outside.  Here's a photo of the two parts, and one with the future trigger wheel bolted to the fixture:

Next I machined the teeth into the outside of the trigger wheel, and finished by cleaning up both sides on the belt sander.  Here's a picture of the finished wheel:

Its kind of ugly because of the scrap that I started with, but it will make a great trigger wheel.  Compare it to one of the laser cut wheels, shown in the photo below; the wheel I machined will make a much better target for a magnetic sensor:

Just another one of those things to pay attention to on an EFI system...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BruceS

• View Profile
Re: Trigger Wheel for EFI Crank Sensor
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:37:10 PM »
Jay, your wheel is smaller in diameter and thicker. Can you elaborate on why it's a better target?  Does the extra thickness just give it more stability?  How does diameter come into play?  Thanks, Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »
The crank sensor should be centered perfectly on the wheel in order to make sure you get the same signal out of the sensor every time.  In practice though, that is difficult to achieve, and it is easy to be off by .050" or more.  With the thin wheel, a .050" movement of the sensor towards the front or rear of the engine will put the active sensing element of the sensor at the edge of the wheel; this makes for unreliable sensing.  On my wheel, there is plenty of room towards the front or rear to accomodate minor misalignment, or vibration, of the sensor.

Also, magnetically a trigger wheel tooth with a larger area (as the sensor looks at the tooth) will result in a larger signal at the sensor.  So again, variations in airgap or movement forward or rearward will have less effect on the sensor's output than if the trigger wheel tooth has a smaller mass.  My wheel has teeth with a larger area just by virtue of the width of the tooth, so it will provide a more robust signal.

All other things being equal, a wheel with a larger diameter should provide more precise sensor signals.  In that respect, the laser cut wheel has an advantage over my wheel.  Except that in my case, the larger diameter wheel is harder to package with the other components at the front of the engine.  So, I actually couldn't even use the larger diameter wheel shown; I would need to get one of the smaller diameter ones.  I put that one in the photo because it is the only example of a 36 tooth laser cut wheel that I have on hand; the point was that the laser cut wheel is so thin as to be potentially problematic.  Of course, if you can guarantee perfect alignment and vibration free operation, that wheel would work fine.

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »
and it makes a nice flywheel for the front of the engine...lol just kidding Jay.

The trigger "wheel" on my sport trac was about 3" wide and about 3 1/2" in dia. even with my crappy sawzall,cuttoff wheel machine tools I could made a bracket that would hit that.
Lance H