Author Topic: Carburetor madness by Drew  (Read 50098 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Carburetor madness by Drew
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2019, 09:24:36 AM »
Thanks to folks like you Marc that helped fund my project early on.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2019, 03:23:35 PM »
JayB wanted me to fix up his 850 center squirters.

So I did.... the whole build is here on my page:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/AirFuelSParkTech/photos/?tab=album&album_id=423427608395976

If you prefer the cliff notes, they are below.

IMG_1362 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

IMG_1443 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

IMG_1444 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

IMG_1447 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

and lastly, lets compare my process to brand new in the box Holleys

IMG_1448 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

IMG_1449 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2019, 03:53:10 PM »
That is some nice plating. The Holly one looks like it was done by a one
thoted guy in a rickety shack down by a swamp in comparison;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »
It's called "burning the plate" it's from trying to plate too quickly with too much current.  Even tho there is math to figure how much current you are supposed to apply, really it's a feel kinda thing, would be hard to teach without just doing it and messing some stuff up to find the upper limits.

centredautomag

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2019, 06:14:24 PM »
You are welcome Drew can't wait to get them . I'm starting the engine with the old ones Saturday morning. I'll gey a few picture and maybe a short video if I can,not to good with those things.

Marc.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2019, 11:18:06 AM »
  Drew,
      If you don't want the throttle shaft , or only the end of it to be plated , try applying wax ( parafin type) to those areas before plating and it should keep the natural steel from being plated.  Holley plated the throttle levers before they attached them to the throttle shaft. One more little trick towards absolute perfection in a restoration. Your attention to detail is second to none and better than some of the "biggies" out there. Beautiful work.
   Randy
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:19:58 AM by gt350hr »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 01, 2019, 12:13:41 PM »
Thanks Randy....
What I have done for the ones with brass ends that have plain colored throttle shafts is carefully buffing the end after plating so the original color comes out.

I know you mentioned the wax before, I actually bought some to try it out but haven't gotten around to it.

I've been getting told I need ink stamps too, I'm just lazy and haven't done it yet.  I think it's kinda cheesy, but whatever folks want is what they want.  Well I say lazy but I'm working on carb number 24 and it's day 23 of my time off.  Have to go to work Tuesday, so I better wrap all this up.

Tommy A

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2019, 05:48:05 PM »
Drew, I have a friend that is interested in a 390'GT' carb, would you have a number that he could call you at???? thanks..............Tom

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2019, 06:55:09 PM »
Sure, I've got almost all of the GT carbs.  Might be missing one or two.
I'll pm you my number, I get enough spam phone calls.

427FeWedge

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
Hi Drew,
I've been follow this thread for awhile and want to commend you on your efforts.  I have been playing around it may self and haven't been satisfied with my progress.
PM me I would like to discuss your plating process.
I won't be near a computer this weekend so hopefully next week.
Thanks,
Rob

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2019, 07:28:57 PM »
Sure, msg me any questions you have.  I'm kinda bad at just explaining everything, would be best if ya just stopped by the shop for a day or two :P

I won't lie, 6 months a year that I'm home I'm in the shop 7am-10pm or later.  I won't even say how much money I've wasted trying things that never panned out.  Plating has been the best/worst thing i ever decided to get into.  It's 30% chemistry 30% artwork 30% voodoo and I haven't figured out the other 10% quite yet.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »
The responses (to me) show how much people appreciate your "I give a damn" attitude.  "Half a$$ed" is not a part of your vocabulary and it shows. I wish I could do what you do.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
The responses (to me) show how much people appreciate your "I give a damn" attitude.  "Half a$$ed" is not a part of your vocabulary and it shows. I wish I could do what you do.

I try, sure I miss the mark once in awhile.
Last time I made a hobby into a business it took me 7 years to realize that I hate paying bills with something I love (or formerly loved) to do.  It's far to easy to rush when the electric bill is due Monday.....  My bills get paid by my day job, this is just for fun and any profit is turned into more expensive cores to study and document.

All that said, for the Shelby guys out there, I recently took ownership of a S2CS-9510-H carb, list 3948, dated late 1966.  Does anyone have a clue what this may have gone on?  My searches have brought up little to nothing.

Thanks,
Drew

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2019, 01:14:55 PM »
I looked in my Shelby performance parts book dated 4-1-66 and did not see it there. The only 2 listed in this version is S1MK-9510-A 715cfm and S1MK-9510-B 780cfm. Unfortunatly there are no associated ID's listed. Jim

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2019, 01:33:52 PM »
If Shelby's common numbering applies, the S2 (vs S1) makes it a 427 part (vs 289) but I haven't found a specific listing for that carb, either.