Author Topic: Question - Eagle or Scat 3.98 crank, either easier to internally balance?  (Read 10964 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Stock style rods, 4.09 bore, nothing heavy

Does one brand internally balance easier (less heavy metal)?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
I am of zero help on this one - Sorry Ross!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

My427stang

• View Profile
Maybe someone whose name rhymes with "Barry" will know LOL
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

e philpott

• View Profile
I though Scat or Eagle offered a internally balance crank as a option ??

My427stang

• View Profile
I think it says that on the website, but I don't think its true.

I'll tell you, its crazy, got emails out to all the normal guys and can't get a quote back on a crank.  Hopefully this week someone will answer
Ross

My427stang

• View Profile
I just talked to Eagle. 

"Sir, our FE cranks are internally balanced in the front, externally balanced in the rear"

I guess that could be a way to look at it...  :o  and you wonder why so many people get confused with stuff like this.
Ross

drdano

• View Profile
Being the habitual smartass I am, my next question would have been "Oh, so is it half-internal half-external balanced in the middle?"   :P

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
I just talked to Eagle. 

"Sir, our FE cranks are internally balanced in the front, externally balanced in the rear"

I guess that could be a way to look at it...  :o  and you wonder why so many people get confused with stuff like this.

What a joke!  Carroll Shelby is dead, but there's still a bunch of snake oil out there...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

rcodecj

• View Profile
I just talked to Eagle. 

Sounds right to me. It's like a 428 crank,  only needs rear weight, unlike a small block that needs weight on both ends, or a 390 that needs no weight.
He is letting you know you don't need a front a counter weight but it will need flex plate/flywheel counter weight.
On an aftermarket crank, that is good information to know.
 You could just call it externally balanced, but his description is more accurate.

My427stang

• View Profile
These cranks are externally balanced and use a neutral balanced spacer and balancer like any other non-SCJ 428.

I do not consider his statement more accurate, and when I look at the website, I think they confuse people.  I am betting you'll agree when you see the pic below.

I know its semantics, but once a crank needs an offset weight, its an externally balanced rotating assembly. 

I know I am preaching to the choir, but SCJs are externally balanced that need weight on both ends, a CJ/PI/410 is externally balanced that needs weight on one end.  I understand the Eagle is designed to be the latter

No doubt, saying its internally balanced on one end but not on the other CAN be explained, but it's not correct, nor is that a reason that it cannot be internally balanced like they told me, guys are doing it all the time

I just don't like when terminology is misused, if someone clicked on that website to order one, the site below leads them to believe its internally balanced. See the screen capture below.  For them to come back and say that this means its "internal on one end" is ridiculous and a play on words IMHO

Ross

rcodecj

• View Profile
These cranks are externally balanced and use a neutral balanced spacer and balancer like any other non-SCJ 428.

I do not consider his statement more accurate, and when I look at the website, I think they confuse people.  I am betting you'll agree when you see the pic below.

I know its semantics, but once a crank needs an offset weight, its an externally balanced rotating assembly. 

I know I am preaching to the choir, but SCJs are externally balanced that need weight on both ends, a CJ/PI/410 is externally balanced that needs weight on one end.  I understand the Eagle is designed to be the latter

No doubt, saying its internally balanced on one end but not on the other CAN be explained, but it's not correct, nor is that a reason that it cannot be internally balanced like they told me, guys are doing it all the time

I just don't like when terminology is misused, if someone clicked on that website to order one, the site below leads them to believe its internally balanced. See the screen capture below.  For them to come back and say that this means its "internal on one end" is ridiculous and a play on words IMHO

I have to agree after seeing their advertisement, that it is very misleading,  but you did not post that before.
With only your statement that I quoted to go by I still say what the guy said  is more accurate.
Never the less it is bull$hit to advertise that crank as internal balanced.
So I am going to agree with you with the additional information. Very misleading.

My427stang

• View Profile
Thanks, I was posting on both sites so I must have left some details out (sort of like Eagle) LOL

Regardless, I bought an Eagle anyway, we'll soon see how it worked out.  Got jobber price locally, double bonus.
Ross

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
I have the eagle 4.25 crank and I used a zero balance flywheel. I bought the flywheel from Brent.

My427stang

• View Profile
Did you have the rotating assembly balanced?
Ross

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
Yes it was balanced 13lb aluminum flywheel, pressure plate and all.  I sold all the SCJ stuff hatchett, flywheel, crank and the rods.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:37:21 AM by sixty9cobra »