Author Topic: Dragweek 2017  (Read 9125 times)

57 lima bean

Re: Dragweek 2017
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 11:31:42 AM »
Great effort Jim.A bit of air under the tires on the Torino.You do inspire.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Dragweek 2017
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »
Yep, I'm out. Had a fair day at Cordova. Hit the road Monday for a long trip to gateway. About 30 miles from the track I found my brother on the side of the road with a lifter issue. After about six hours of work we had him on the road. We rolled into St. Louis about 4am and got a shower. Left for the track a smoked an alternator. We finally got a new one installed and headed for the track. In About the first 100 feet of the trip to the track we were trying to blow the air cleaner off the carb about every second. We made a decision just to get it to the track and look at it there. We rolled in about 10am. Pulled the valve covers off and found 2 two broken push rods that totally destroyed the rocker arms. Enough is enough. I started to help my brother with is car. More lifter problems, but this time the cam had taken enough damage it need to be replace. We both threw in the towel.
  Dragweek is challenging and rewarding. Sometimes just getting there is victory itself. I went for my son. The support was overwhelming. Kevin stopped by everyday. Several other members came by and expressed there support. It was a great time. No regrets. I watched Doug run from the stands. He has a beautiful car.
  We made a pass near the end of the street eliminator class. Pretty good launch. I hate that I let a pro tree surprise me. I left without enough rpm. About the middle of second the fuel pressure regulator quit. I barely made it. 12.99 @ 100 mph. 1.63 short time. 3830 lbs across the scales. All in all we loved it. Thanks everybody for everything.

Jim, as you found out the camraderie at Drag Week is most of the fun, and for sure just finishing the event is a victory.  I've had to drop out four times over the years, and its always disappointing, but I keep going back because of the people.  Nowhere else can you get a bunch of like-minded individuals together for a week long event.  There are no posers and no fakers at Drag Week; everyone there is the real deal.  I was sure sorry to see you drop out, but I hope you make it back next year.  I sure will...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC