Author Topic: Sleepy 445 build  (Read 11441 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: Sleepy 445 build
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
If you're not opposed to making the trek to Billings, Automotive Performance Center in Billings will do good work for you. I have friends up there in Billings and that's their go-to place.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

stuart olson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
OK. I called R&R and Robbi. Robbi says he would use Keller to do the machining and build it at his place. R&R sounds like he has his stuff completely together. Both are backed up for months. Both seemed to be thinking north of what I have on hand but south of what I could come up with by spring.

So I am now thinking plan G. Got a message out to a fellow who tried to sell me a set rebuilt low mile heads to slap on the pushrod bending 360 that's in the truck so I can get back to sorting out exhaust, brakes, steering, springs, wheels, and tires for the rest of the summer. If i can get those heads and put them on for under a grand I think it will be worth it to get all the rest dealt with before I foot the bill for the engine.

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 06:59:51 PM »
R&R is a top flight machinist... He does not do any assembly work so you would have to do it yourself or find someone besides Brian
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 08:41:43 PM »
I don`t know how far you are from Wright Minn., but some of the fastest NHRA Stock Eliminator FE Fords came out of Line Performance in Wright Minn. Lance & Ben Line both run 428 CJ powered 69 Mustangs (Their brother is Pro Stock racer Jason Line). I have no idea if they do "normal" street engine work, but may be worth a look. What are your planned use for this engine? A heavy truck used for towing does not need a lot of cam or carb if it mainly gonna see less than 3500 RPM. Also, be sure to check whatever headers you plan to use, to see if the exhaust port locations are compatable. C6AE-R heads have the earlier high port location, most truck heads use the later lower port location, as do the Hedman and FlowTech headers that I used on my 74 F350s 390. (D2TE heads).
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

stuart olson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 10:07:04 AM »
So question. Will CJ valve heads clear a 360 STD block?

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »
So question. Will CJ valve heads clear a 360 STD block?

Yes, at higher lifts, MUCH higher than can be run with stock style guides, the exhaust gets close with a 1.67 valve, but nothing to worry about for even a very rowdy build
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

stuart olson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 09:53:11 PM »
OK so looking at what the bores and heads look like on the engine in the truck I am going with the bad gas explanation. IE bad gas from the recently reactivated front tank coated the valvestems in varnish and caused them to sick when the engine was shut off. This caused the pushrods to bend next time I went to start the truck. The bores still look really nice. So now I have a dilemma.

Do I clean out the old heads real good and slap them back on with a new headgasket kit so the truck is self mobile till spring when I put the new motor in?

Or do I put on the rebuilt heads, CJ intake, headers, and a cam. Drive it like that till I can swing a set of Survival FElony heads and a Blue Thunder intake and build a big boy motor next winter most likely?

Hmmmmmm. Decisions decisions.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:51 AM »
Personally, if you are happy enough with reduced power, I would do heads, intake and headers now and skip the cam.

The CJ intake and headers will make a noticeable difference.  Doing a cam now and again next year seems like a pain to me.

FYI - Your discussion on bad gas is logical, especially if it was old gas.  I have seen vehicles that sit for a long time, then get filled with fresh gas, do exactly what yours did.  When they sit, the valves stick.  However, it is usually an engine that sat for years and was fired with either old gas, or a tank so varnished that the new gas loosened things up and carried it in.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

stuart olson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
Dual tank truck. Front tank had been out of use for probably 15 or so years. It was empty so I figured it would be fine. Live and learn I guess.

stuart olson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 10:35:28 PM »
So now that its time to winterize everything I finally got around to getting the old motor back together. This is phase "how to do everything wrong, the wrong way" of eventually getting a 445 stuffed under the hood. Step one was have the heads finished. While the shop was getting that done I told them to "pick a cam" so they did. I warned you this was a cringeworthy segment! I also decided that the CJ intake was kinda crusty so I had it tanked at Keller in Mandan. BTW you have to remove the rad, bumper, and entire grille assembly to get the cam out of an FE in a pickup with a 73-77 style grille. A 78-79 you could probably just pull the rad and center section of the grille. At any rate that pain in the ass finished I started taking pictures.

stuart olson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »
The hackery is just beginning on this one! While the intake was off of the motor at my buddy Dave's at least 1 leaf fell in the motor through the core holes while I was scraping gasket surfaces. I thought about pulling the motor for two seconds, concluded firstly that I have a spare block, and secondly its fricking cold out. I turned the screw it light on and made a mental note to change the oil extra often for awhile. The engine has about 100 miles on it since reassembly, and no problems so far on that front. Here is a photo of the cam card in case you were wondering. We put it in straight up.

stuart olson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
I got the engine a little farther than the next picture and went to start it and do the break in. No damn spark! At that point it was 8 PM on a Sunday and I decided to bag it. Turned out the tac wire running from the firewall to the coil was broken in no less than 3 places. How it was working fine before is one of life's great mysteries.

stuart olson

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 11:07:35 PM »
Spark problem solved, it was time to do the cam break in. However after a bit of deep thinking on the subject I decided to head further gas related issues off at the pass at this point. I pumped the 6 month old stuff out of the good rear tank into the varnished up front tank. I then pumped good gas out of one of those wonderfull "safety can" contraptions into the rear tank for the break in.

stuart olson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 11:14:45 PM »
Cam break in started, the engine decided to immediately over heat. Always get lever-vent radiator caps, and always install the vent hose! I am pretty sure that what happend was when I filled the coolant up the thermostat was tight enough the block couldn't vent. I put about 3 gallons in it and had no further problems.

stuart olson

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 11:26:43 PM »
I forgot to mention earlier that in addition to installing a cam I had someone else pick. I also used random old pushrods from three different motors. Seems to run nice and smooth so I guess that worked out. I also failed to mention earlier that the heads were decked .012 mostly to clean up the gasket surfaces. I also put the stock manifolds back on for now. Nothing broke when they came off, and its kinda cold out for crawling around under the truck doing a new exhaust system. So it will get to the headers in the spring. At any rate the machine lives! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=94&v=QTOJ1jva53c