Author Topic: Maverick Project  (Read 28325 times)

mn67

• View Profile
Re: Maverick Project
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 09:11:11 PM »
Thank you for resizing it. I will post some more when I am not using my phone. Needless to say it is coming back apart which is a bummer. I am not sure if I want to put anymore money in this block or move to a 428/462 and use what I can from this motor. Disappointing to say the least. Are part of the process I guess.
1971 Maverick Grabber

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »
Well a new 105 block has been acquired and is off to the machine shop this week. This one has been torn down and I will get this block freshened up for another project. Should have it done and dyno ready In a few weeks.

Maverick is pretty well stripped down and the shock tower surgery starts this week. Will get some pics posted soon. At least I have a block for mock up now.  ;)
1971 Maverick Grabber

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 08:41:21 PM »
Let's try this again. Off to the machine shop. This one does not need a sleeve and is standard bore. 105 d3te, whether it was machining or the knuckle head who assembled it (me) who caused the first failure does not matter at this point. Hoping to have the 445 done soon. I am lucky there is or was a stash of these blocks local.
1971 Maverick Grabber

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 09:48:49 AM »
Not sure how to do it but the 105 blocks seem to have more probs with cracks in the oil riser to the heads off the cam. While its at the machine shop maybe have them leak test it somehow there. Although I've tried it with air and couldn't find a crack even though I have one. My block is even sleeved and a little oil still gets into the water. Not a big problem but something to watch and/or know about. I just read a thread on the other site where one of the guys has the same problem, and have heard it before over the years.
Just something to check.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 02:04:39 PM »
Life got in the way for a bit, but I was able to get a few hours with the Maverick and am getting it stripped down. The new engine is nearing completion as soon as I get the heads back from being checked over and flowed I will finish that up. Basically the same 445 build with a different block a distributor by Faron and port matching of the intake. The C4 is done (my first auto build) and I just need to finish assembly of the 9 inch. Been plenty busy with a lot of little stuff like restored guages, upholstery and the like. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:24:13 PM by mn67 »
1971 Maverick Grabber

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 01:18:40 PM »
Finally had my Survival heads put on a flow bench after the first go-round with a hand port. The exhaust was a bit disappointing. After looking at the valve job he redid the first shop's valve job and picked up 33.7 cfm at 0.55. Max flow was 232 cfm up from 210 cfm but most importantly it was up significantly across the mid-lift areas. We made a slight gain in mid lift on the intake but not nearly as drastic. Intake flows 317 at 0.65. I will post the sheets when I get to a PC rather than my phone. I get that all benches are different but the before and after on the same bench showed interesting results.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:35:09 PM by mn67 »
1971 Maverick Grabber

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
Flow sheets
1971 Maverick Grabber

Tony Fritz

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »
You may want to look at AJE suspension (Anthony Jones Engineering). My maverick has an AJE front end kit with an FE and all works very well. See attached pics.

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »
Thanks, I may look into that. Your car looks great! Care to share some specs?
1971 Maverick Grabber

Tony Fritz

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
The car was originally built at a Southern California race car shop for a drag radial or 10.5 class. It was designed to be able to run 8.50's or faster using a turbo 427W for power. It was traded to a guy in Ohio who put in the FE and drove it on the street. The current FE is a 482 HR pump gas street engine, C-6 combo that has run 10.90's through the mufflers. The car is certified to 8.50 and I am in the process of building a proper race engine for it. The AJE front end is really nice. Lot's of room and simple to adjust with coil overs etc.... best part is it is all "bolt on". I wouldn't do another Maverick without that front end.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »
Now That's one mean lookin' Maverick! Would like to see a few more pics with it in action. :)
Bob Maag

64gal482

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 08:22:49 AM »
mn67 and Tony, Awesome cars, brings back great memories. PLEASE keep posting pics of these cars!

My first car was my grandfather's 1970 maverick who gave it to me in 1975 when I was 15 and my mom would not let him drive anymore. It was in showroom new condition, 6 banger/auto column shift, teal with a black vinyl top and bench seat interior. It about gave him a heart attack as I immediately swapped a 289 and 4 speed out of a wrecked Comet a friend and I found at a local junk yard, ripped off the vinyl roof, put a set of pinto buckets from same yard and had it painted red with black lowers like a Mach 1 which is what I really wanted but couldn't afford.

I think you guys have given me my next project!

Keep it up and thanks for the memory!

Jose

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2018, 08:33:25 AM »
Since I am finishing up my engine compartment and am beginning body work on the Maverick. I have always had a drawing done for the cars I have built. To make sure what is in my head actually looks OK in real life. I had a rendering done of my vision for the car. He did a pretty good job except for the pro touring stance. A little more sidewall, skinnier front tires and 15 inch Torq-Thrust d's (more of a drag car look) would fit my idea better. But he nailed the graphic and color. Not build pictures but I figured I would post it anyways. Once it warms up a bit maybe I can lay some color. By the way the name comes from my non car nut friends thinking it is a Mustang. 
1971 Maverick Grabber

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
That's a very cool rendition!
Couple of suggestions: I'd leave the 45 degree upturn off the side decal/paint as it looks unfinished. Maybe a spear/pointed end. That or make it like a OEM Boss 302 decal, but with "427 FE", the actual engine CID or maybe "FE Powered". Unsolicited advice for sure! 
Bob Maag

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2018, 10:08:27 AM »
Looking good!  Lots of Maverick history in our family starting with my Sister's '69.  Excellent idea to do a drawing too.
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic