Author Topic: Maverick Project  (Read 28350 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Maverick Project
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 10:58:07 PM »
There IS surprisingly more room there than I thought there would be. Still, those exhaust ports look like they're aimed directly at the upper arm mount and frame rail area. I'm pretty sure the Maverick is not as tall in the engine compartment, compared to something like a Mustang. Mavericks were never designed to have an engine as tall as the FE, where the Mustang was. Although the engine compartments are very much the same, dimensionally they are different in overall size, so no way could I see a set of Mustang Hookers bolting up and working in there. Wait, I'm getting a premonition...I see custom headers in your future 8)

I've always thought that Mavericks, with the right stance, were some of the best looking drag cars there were. I used to see BUNCHES of them back in the '80s, always with Clevelands, and always fast.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 07:43:52 AM »
Doug you are correct, the engine bay is a about two inches shallower than the mustang bay. I have seen a few ways to get the FE under (or through) a hood using Cowl induction or boss 429 style scoops on the grabber hood. I really like the grabber hood so we may try and swell it up a bit and try to keep the look. If it does not turn out like I envision a hood scoop of some sort. The car I pictured ran a snorkel and was a pro street deal with a 410, 4 speed and 4:56 gears it was quick and has recently been updated by its current owner. If mine turns out like it looks in my head I will be happy. If not I'll try again, like grandpa always said its just time and money usually short on one. ;) 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:58:43 AM by mn67 »
1971 Maverick Grabber

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 08:06:29 AM »
You mean Mavericks like these?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dyno+don+maverick,+engine+bay&rlz=1C1SAVS_enUS541US568&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS1NTS7YrTAhWmxYMKHS_1BKkQ_AUIBigB&biw=1024&bih=490

Yes, I saw Dyno's SOHC Mav and Schartman's Boss '9 Mav many times at Great Lakes Dragway @ Union Grove, WI and the long closed U.S. 30 strip in Indiana. Hey, if they could stuff those engines, a regular FE is easy!

Just kidding as some major sheetmetal work is required. I've oft wondered, for easy of header construction among other good things, if adding a front 1/2 strut tube chassis would be easier and more conducive even to a hot street car. MacPerson's, late model lightweight discs, Mustang II rack & pinion, lots of plug changing room....something to consider.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:10:33 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 08:34:54 AM »
I have considered the RRS kit.
http://www.rrs-online.com.au/cammer-notching-kits.html

But in the end I am probably not smart enough to know my own limitations and decided to try the old fashion notch the towers path.  ;) I will also do all the body, paint and interior work myself.

That said I may change my mind and do a kit.
1971 Maverick Grabber

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »
You mean Mavericks like these?

Actually, the ones I liked were a bit more modern in design with the wheels tucked inside the wheelwells. The rear sat lower than Dyno's car and had a very mean aggressive look to them. Of course that required notching the rear frames and a narrowed rear, a lot of work, but the look was unmatched and you couldn't beat the weight advantage of the small car.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
Here's the one I showed the engine compartment of. He went a little further than I am, but it's a scary ride with the 410.
1971 Maverick Grabber

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »
I like the Mavericks. I would have bought one if i found one
 But they where never sold in Sweden as far as i know
And very few if any imported later.
 I have only seen two Mercury Comets with that bodystyle one
Racecar and one stock fourdoor

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 05:02:40 PM »
Here's the one I showed the engine compartment of. He went a little further than I am, but it's a scary ride with the 410.

That's exactly the stance I was talking about, although with a bit bigger tire than I normally saw. That car looks pretty cool!
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
About 15 years ago there was a Maverick around here with an FE in it. He had the Hooker race headers on it, I saw the headers afterward (for sale) and they weren't all dented up either. I didn't buy them as he thought they were gold, but anytime he wanted to buy something from me he would low-ball me like crazy. So after a while I never had anything for sale (to him). He did say he had to move the upper control arms out (and/or shorten) and notched the towers. I never saw it run with the FE.

He sold it as a roller and the guy that bought it still races it every now and then. That guy put a 427 "Windsor stroker" in it. They are lightweight though, and don't push a ton of air. Can look pretty bad-ass all done up right. I have seen a few Top Sportsman type builds with Maverick's, look mean and fast just sitting still.

68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
I am getting ready to cut the towers down as soon as some parts show up. A couple questions though. I ordered roller perches, is anyone using these and do they really help much? I am hesitant to use the roller LCA's and UCA's so same question there. It seems to me that pulling all the rubber out of a street car would not be the best route. Also I am planning on the "Shelby Drop" it would give me at least another inch that I could cut lower into the tower. Has anyone made that modification. I am pulling the power steering out so I have center link coming and if needed a pitman arm. The arms aren't reproduced and differ from the mustang but I was able to find one.
1971 Maverick Grabber

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 07:27:02 AM »
I think the Shelby drop is a good idea. It's typically a win/win situation, but I've never looked at the Maverick towers close enough too see if the area exists below the factory mounting points to do it.

The roller spring perches also work good, and the drawback is minimal. Not so much with the UCA and LCA though. You'll definitely "feel" it on a street car, so it comes down to what you can deal with. Same goes with solid mounts on the strut rods. Personally, on a street car, I don't think I'd care for it. When you take all cushion out of the front end, the ride starts to wear on you and makes the car far less enjoyable. If it was mostly a drag car with the occasional street time, I'd be ok with it; the other way around, not so much.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 07:49:42 AM »
That answers my questions, Thanks. There appears to be plenty of room for the Shelby drop. It will primarily be a street car but I would like to do one of the big events when it is done. I will finalize my parts order today and try and avoid a bone jarring ride on the street. 
1971 Maverick Grabber

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 06:16:14 PM »
N/M
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:23:15 PM by mn67 »
1971 Maverick Grabber

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 06:50:43 PM »
For some reason when I clicked on the picture it filled my screen. But it shows what looks like a weld along the wall horizontally and it looks like a porous cast iron weld in it. If it is sleeved that's piss poor way to keep the sleeve in place.

mmason

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 07:24:21 PM »
Here is a better size

Michael Mason