Poll

Which of these valve covers would you be interested in?

Pentroof cast aluminum, plain
64 (71.1%)
Pentroof cast aluminum, finned
23 (25.6%)
Neither; prefer valve covers that are already available elsewhere
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Thinking about casting some valve covers...  (Read 62845 times)

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about casting some valve covers...
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2017, 09:17:18 PM »
Jay,
Do you know where you will be located at the MN fairgrounds Back to tho 50's show?
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2017, 09:54:08 PM »
I'm going to be displaying my parts in Tim Meyer's booth, TMeyer Inc is the company name.  We are going to be located somewhere out in front of the grandstands.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »
A post by Tim Meyer on Facebook says it is Block B37, space 15. The map does show it in front of the Grandstand.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Galaxie352

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2017, 06:41:02 AM »
I would like to have Made Inn U.S.A script innside both covers.  :) The covers are looking good Jay.
Robin
Norway
-65 Galaxie 352
-55 Crown victoria 272 yblock

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »
Been burning the midnight oil on the CNC machines, trying to get the valve covers ready to show at the Back to the 50s event at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds this weekend.  Just finished up the fourth cover, so I thought I would post some pictures.  Here is part number 17004, which has two breather holes, one filled with a screw-in cap, and the other with a screw-in breather filter:

Here's my favorite, part number 17005.  This one is engraved on the top.  I expect to be able to do custom engraving on any of the covers:

Also, some shots of the underside.  You can see the ridge around the outside of the cover to hold the gasket in place.  Also, the machined area underneath is a breather relief.  Around this area are four small tapped holes.  There will be a steel baffle plate that screws into the holes and extends out towards the end of the valve cover.  The idea is to get the baffle past the last rocker arm before it opens up, to prevent oil splash up in to this area.  Also note on this cover that both breather areas are machined, even though only one breather hole is cut into the cover.  I'm going to machine all of them this way, even the ones with no holes, so that people can put their own holes in the covers if they want.  I expect to be offering them with the screw-in style holes as shown in the photos, or with a 1" machined hole for a push in breather, depending on what my customers want.  But there may be other potential openings, so making the breather reliefs and baffle plates available on all the covers will open up all the possibilities:

Here's a couple of shots of the plain cover.  This is the one I'd expect to be selling for $259:

Last but not least is the cover shown below.  This one took quite a bit of time to machine, and the clear polycarbonate cover took some time to cut also.  And, I'm going to have to test this one because I'm not sure the O-ring seal is 100% reliable.  I'll get it on the dyno and check it for leaks sometime soon.  Hopefully it will be OK, because I think this one is pretty cool:

And here's a shot of all of them together:

Overall I'm pretty happy with these valve covers.  There are a couple of issues I have to address with the foundry, in terms of the surface finish, and also the cleanup they do on the covers (one of them showed evidence of a light touch with a sanding wheel, which they probably use to clean up the risers at the bottom of the casting; I have to make sure that the foundry knows I can't accept covers with any sanding marks on the outside surface).  Nevertheless, I think those issues can be easily addressed, and am still hopeful I can be starting to deliver these in 8 weeks or so.  I'm very curious to see how they will be received at the big car show this weekend...

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »
nice Jay I think the clear cover is cool what do you think the life expectance is on the top as far as seeing through it , or after a year or two you buy new tops.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:21:30 PM by Stangman »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2017, 04:32:06 PM »
I was going to mention the surface finish, but didn't want to sound like I was nit-picking. They don't look like the quality of finish on the other parts you produce. Hopefully they can clean them up a bit.Still...looking good. Can't wait to get a couple sets. I really like the baffle idea. Will the baffles come with the covers?

Just one suggestion, a link to a supplier of the breathers and caps would be nice when they're offered up for sale. I just ordered a CVR pump and fitting to go with your adapters and had to spend some time looking up the correct part numbers for the short and medium fittings for the pump inlet. A link in the add would be helpful to buyers.
I know, I know....I'm lazy... :)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2017, 05:57:06 PM »
nice Jay I think the clear cover is cool what do you think the life expectance is on the top as far as seeing through it , or after a year or two you buy new tops.

I hope not, the clear covers should be good for the life of the valve cover.  Again, I need to test them to be sure...
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »
I was going to mention the surface finish, but didn't want to sound like I was nit-picking. They don't look like the quality of finish on the other parts you produce. Hopefully they can clean them up a bit.Still...looking good. Can't wait to get a couple sets. I really like the baffle idea. Will the baffles come with the covers?

I'm used to your nit-picking, Doug ;D ;D  Turns out that the foundry used the wrong sand for the outside surface of the mold.  I had specified a very fine sand, to try to make the finish very smooth, but somehow between the main office and the foundry floor that message got lost.  They will be casting a few more prototypes for me before I place the production order, to make sure that the surface finish issue is addressed.

The baffles will come with the covers, I just haven't gotten them produced yet.  As far as the oil caps and breathers, I will supply those.  I have to buy them from a certain manufacturer and make a modification to them so that they will work with the covers, so they won't be available elsewhere.  The caps will add $15-$20 each to the price of the valve covers, and the breathers will be somewhere in the range of $30-$40.
Jay Brown

james

« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2017, 06:37:23 PM »
Been burning the midnight oil on the CNC machines, trying to get the valve covers ready to show at the Back to the 50s event at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds this weekend.  Just finished up the fourth cover, so I thought I would post some pictures.  Here is part number 17004, which has two breather holes, one filled with a screw-in cap, and the other with a screw-in breather filter:

Here's my favorite, part number 17005.  This one is engraved on the top.  I expect to be able to do custom engraving on any of the covers:

Also, some shots of the underside.  You can see the ridge around the outside of the cover to hold the gasket in place.  Also, the machined area underneath is a breather relief.  Around this area are four small tapped holes.  There will be a steel baffle plate that screws into the holes and extends out towards the end of the valve cover.  The idea is to get the baffle past the last rocker arm before it opens up, to prevent oil splash up in to this area.  Also note on this cover that both breather areas are machined, even though only one breather hole is cut into the cover.  I'm going to machine all of them this way, even the ones with no holes, so that people can put their own holes in the covers if they want.  I expect to be offering them with the screw-in style holes as shown in the photos, or with a 1" machined hole for a push in breather, depending on what my customers want.  But there may be other potential openings, so making the breather reliefs and baffle plates available on all the covers will open up all the possibilities:

Here's a couple of shots of the plain cover.  This is the one I'd expect to be selling for $259:

Last but not least is the cover shown below.  This one took quite a bit of time to machine, and the clear polycarbonate cover took some time to cut also.  And, I'm going to have to test this one because I'm not sure the O-ring seal is 100% reliable.  I'll get it on the dyno and check it for leaks sometime soon.  Hopefully it will be OK, because I think this one is pretty cool:

And here's a shot of all of them together:

Overall I'm pretty happy with these valve covers.  There are a couple of issues I have to address with the foundry, in terms of the surface finish, and also the cleanup they do on the covers (one of them showed evidence of a light touch with a sanding wheel, which they probably use to clean up the risers at the bottom of the casting; I have to make sure that the foundry knows I can't accept covers with any sanding marks on the outside surface).  Nevertheless, I think those issues can be easily addressed, and am still hopeful I can be starting to deliver these in 8 weeks or so.  I'm very curious to see how they will be received at the big car show this weekend...

Personally I like the ones with the two breathers. That way I can put the 427 decal on them. Btw, I don't know if I missed it but what will be the cost or approximate cost? Thanks!

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2017, 07:16:55 PM »
Jay rather than going back and reading a bunch of threads is there hardware for these covers they look special maybe even a rubber insert on the top.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2017, 07:33:58 PM »
There are 3" long allen bolts and washers that will come with the valve covers.
Jay Brown

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2017, 07:47:04 PM »
Jay, I don't know if you know this, but if you take a butane torch to the edges of the polycarbonate after it is cut to shape and gently bring the flame to the cut edges, it will clear up like the top, and you won't have to sand or dress the sharp edges.  Takes a little practice, but the results are worth the effort.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »
That should be nice and clean looking.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
Just throwing this out there like a clay pigeon in a shooting range - what about PCV's?