Author Topic: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake  (Read 96152 times)

andyf

• View Profile
Re: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2018, 08:51:12 PM »
620 hp for 406 inches is really good. That is 1.53 hp/in which is a little better than we did with the 482. We were right at 700 which is 1.45 hp/inch and we had a dual throttle body setup.

Felonious79

« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2018, 09:39:10 PM »
Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but it was a stroked 406, so it was actually a 461.

FElony

« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2018, 09:39:42 PM »
Cool, thanks for the info.  I’ll definately report back next week the results of my session for anybody that’s interested.  I’ll try to get more info later, but I do know that the trick flow headed FE I mentioned earlier made 620 hp at 6000 rpm.  It had the trick flow single plane intake and the 4.25 scat stroker kit on a 406 motor.  The intake matched perfectly with no port matching needed.

Hey look, it's a d-bag FElony wannabe. Sad. There can be only one.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2018, 10:37:42 PM »
Well, whats the verdict.does the TF's out perform the other aftermarket options,out of the box?say,if you bolted them on the same engine as the others.has anyone done the comparo ,kinda like Jays intake comparo.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

FElony

« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2018, 11:20:21 PM »
Cool, thanks for the info.  I’ll definately report back next week the results of my session for anybody that’s interested.  I’ll try to get more info later, but I do know that the trick flow headed FE I mentioned earlier made 620 hp at 6000 rpm.  It had the trick flow single plane intake and the 4.25 scat stroker kit on a 406 motor.  The intake matched perfectly with no port matching needed.

Let's hope this person has the ethics not to trample on a persona I've invested over 12 1/2 years of my life into, and changes his nym before any further posting.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2018, 05:26:32 AM »
Any more details on the 406/461 combo?   

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2018, 02:21:01 PM »
Well, whats the verdict.does the TF's out perform the other aftermarket options,out of the box?say,if you bolted them on the same engine as the others.has anyone done the comparo ,kinda like Jays intake comparo.

Not very many people have the time or money to compare cylinder heads on a dyno. Eventually someone might swap some ported Edelbrock heads for a new set of Trick Flows and maybe they'll come on here and publish the results but it could take a while. I've done A-B head testing on the dyno before and it is a lot of work. You have to line up the dyno time and order all the parts and then thrash hard for a couple of days. Sounds like fun until you do it a few times and then it just sounds like work.

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
Haha Andy! Blasphemy! Tell Jay about swapping parts and dyno tests... ::)
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »
Quote from: FElony

Time for a duel!

Keyboards at 20 paces

FElony

« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »
Quote from: FElony

Time for a duel!

Keyboards at 20 paces

Silly boy, you know I prefer swords. Unfortunately, a PM exchange shows that this particky lar newbie was unawares of the illustrious me, so there will be no beheading this weekend. I know it sounds absolutely incredible that anyone in the FE hobby doesn't know how to spit on the ground when my name gets mentioned. I am flubbergasted also. However, he writes well so I'm gonna go with "seems legit". He has promised to change his nym, so maybe Jay will make that easy for him.

I saw you in the Reunion vid, Robot Nick. I see that you are getting good use out of those brakes you unscrupulously heisted from my yard while I was high on brownies. Works for me.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »
I'll have you know that I was completely scrupulous when I took those brakes.

I did soup up the brownies a bit - you looked like you needed a nap.

FElony

« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2018, 09:33:28 PM »
I'll have you know that I was completely scrupulous when I took those brakes.

I did soup up the brownies a bit - you looked like you needed a nap.

I need one now. I lost a torque struggle with a power tool today, and I put fentanyl and oxycodone into this evening's brownies. Guess I'll continue binge-watching Millenium episodes. It should all work together.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »
Are you saying you're a millennial? I thought you were an old fart. (No, that can't be. Old farts dissipate. Are you dissipated? Maybe that's it!!! :o)

KS

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 28, 2018, 11:16:28 PM »
Just got my Sept.2018 Hemmings Muscle Machines
Cover has a blue 429SCJ Cobra, sort of a hybrid of the two I had.

Inside cover is a TFS ad, dyno of a 396cid FE, TFS heads, TFS Track Heat single plane intake (looks like a Jr Vic Jr), TFS 850 carb(looks like a mini dominator?), Comp 230-236-110 .529 .540 hyd roller, 10.63 CR, 1.75 headers into 3" flowmasters.
Torq 480 at 4400
Powr 464 at 5800

Gonkulator hit Torq right on but was about 10% high on Power - I gonkulated their intake as a Vic Jr. 10% is a lot, like over 40hp. So either the heads aren't as good as we think, or that TFS intake sucks, or the flowmasters wouldn't let the exhaust out. Why complicate things with MUFFLERS???? They didn't say WHICH flowmasters either, which makes a difference.

Just FYI, still scrounging for dyno data on the new TFS heads.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #299 on: July 29, 2018, 06:08:46 AM »
Just got my Sept.2018 Hemmings Muscle Machines
Cover has a blue 429SCJ Cobra, sort of a hybrid of the two I had.

Inside cover is a TFS ad, dyno of a 396cid FE, TFS heads, TFS Track Heat single plane intake (looks like a Jr Vic Jr), TFS 850 carb(looks like a mini dominator?), Comp 230-236-110 .529 .540 hyd roller, 10.63 CR, 1.75 headers into 3" flowmasters.
Torq 480 at 4400
Powr 464 at 5800

Gonkulator hit Torq right on but was about 10% high on Power - I gonkulated their intake as a Vic Jr. 10% is a lot, like over 40hp. So either the heads aren't as good as we think, or that TFS intake sucks, or the flowmasters wouldn't let the exhaust out. Why complicate things with MUFFLERS???? They didn't say WHICH flowmasters either, which makes a difference.

Just FYI, still scrounging for dyno data on the new TFS heads.

You'll have some more in about 2 weeks.

I've got a build that has been an absolute pain in my behind to get finished, but I hope to have most of it completed this week.  It's a .030" over 390, 391 crank with BBC rod journals, TFS heads out of the box with my own valve spring package, one of my custom cams, a 240/243 @ .050", 109/103, .580" lift hydraulic roller.   Compression is 10.4:1.  Performer RPM intake with some plenum and divider modifications, with a Quick Fuel Q-850 carburetor. 

Some things I've seen so far about the TFS heads:  1.  Chamber volumes are under 70cc, which could pose a problem for some guys who just want to bolt on a set of heads.  2.  As discussed in other threads, the rocker geometry with factory-height stands is pitiful.  Right now I'm mocking it up, and with an .080" lash cap for mock-up purposes, the pattern is pretty far towards the exhaust side of the valve.  I have other lash caps that I will use to see how much I need to take off the stands, but then I'm going to be concerned about getting the pushrods into the tubes.  3.  In my situation, the intake valve touched the top of the valve relief in the piston....i.e. I had excellent depth clearance, but I had zero radial clearance and we had to fly cut the pistons. 

Learning curves.

IMO, the Track Heat intake is too large for a 5800 rpm 396.  Kinda knocks the low end and top end out both of the engine.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:05:36 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports