Author Topic: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake  (Read 95822 times)

amdscooter

• View Profile
Re: New Trick Flow FE cylinder heads & Intake
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »
^^^ Oddd.. you would think with the heads they are selling they would have engineered in clearance for use with lots of lift.

scott foxwell

« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
The Trick Flow heads move the rocker shaft up a bit which changes the valve train geometry. One result is that the pushrods might not clear the intake manifold. We had to extend the pushrod slots by roughly 0.100 in the tunnel wedge intake.
Hard to tell but almost looks like rocker stands are too short. How did you check rocker geometry?

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2018, 07:07:34 PM »
Engine is mounted up on the dyno but we haven't fired it up yet. The dual throttle body setup is taking some extra time to sort out. Lots of little details to attend to.

winr1

« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2018, 09:13:53 PM »
Andy, whose valve covers are those please ??

Ricky.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2018, 08:33:23 PM »
Looks like these Trick Flow heads make good power. The 482 made 700 hp at 6300 rpm and 640 ft-lbs at 5300 rpm. Correction factor was 1%, coolant temp was 180 degrees, we ran 32 and 34 degrees of advance so there might be more power in the heads by stepping up to 35 or 36 degrees. Pump gas unleaded premium fuel. I'll attach a dyno graph and a screen shot of the EFI data log.

justintyme73

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2018, 01:00:12 AM »
Sweet!

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2018, 03:49:22 AM »
A fun ride to be sure!  Think it wanted the timing because it was a little lean? 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

andyf

• View Profile

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2018, 02:30:03 PM »
trick flow makes a good product,and great power from that combo on pump gas.thanks for posting!now if AFR were to make FE heads !

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2018, 03:49:29 PM »
The Comp rocker arms worked great. We checked the lash after a bunch of dyno pulls and nothing had moved around. The engine is running clean, no trash in the filter and no leaks on the floor. The one piece rear main seal is dry as a bone. Here is a picture of the rocker arms after some dyno pulls.

I should point out that Rich from FAST Man EFI was a big help in setting up the tune. This was the first tune I'd work on for a FAST system so I needed a little help. I sent him the tune I built and he tweaked it a bit and then he got on the phone with me while we were on the dyno and offered some suggestions. The tune was fairly close out of the box but this engine wanted a little more fuel up top and a lot less down low.

Fairly efficient engine from what I can see so far. Used about 300 lbs/hr to make 700 hp so that is 3/7 or .43 BSFC. Probably due to the heart shaped chamber and the tight quench.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2018, 04:21:26 PM »
Where are you located?  How about dyno'ing somewhere else for a second opinion?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

scott foxwell

« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2018, 05:47:21 PM »
Where are you located?  How about dyno'ing somewhere else for a second opinion?
How many dynos would it take to make the numbers legit to you?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
What if that engine made 800 hp?  Would you have believed that too?

To be straight up about it, there's nothing logical about the results of that engine.   All off-the-shelf parts, pump gas, with 300 cfm heads, with a 1% correction?  You're telling me that engine made 695 hp uncorrected?  I'd buy the results if he told me he sprayed 50-75 on it. 

That engine would make about 625 on the dyno I use.....or on Barry's dyno.....

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
The owner is happy and isn't interested in taking the engine to another dyno.

1% correction factor, 180 degree water temp, fuel flow seems correct for the power. Dyno deadweighted in spec so where is the error? I have the log files from the EFI system for the dyno pulls, they seem fine to me. The engine just makes good power. Not really a huge surprise, I figured it would make 650 but the heads work a little better than I thought. It has a good intake on it and good dyno headers so that helps a bunch.

Build one yourself, maybe you'll be surprised.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2018, 07:35:55 PM »
Nice engine.

As much as it may come off "wrong" to some folks I am going to have to agree with Brent here and say that those numbers are really, really strong for that mild a build.  It's making 1.45 horsepower per cube, somewhere around 2.3 horsepower per cfm (using Blair's flow numbers), and about 1.33 pounds of torque per cubic inch.

All of these ARE achievable numbers - but not very common for any engine that by your description is on its first round of tuning.  I rarely see that level of performance from any FE engine that just got assembled with a first effort cam selection, first go around with a set of new heads, first round of tuning on an EFI system, and non-optimized timing.  Takes me quite a bit of work to approach that level using highly developed parts I have a lot of history with.  The electric water pump is worth about a dozen horsepower in my testing.

The dyno data and videos do show some sort of anomaly that might be worth investigating.  The inlet air temperature on the dyno screen shows 48 degrees F, which is pretty close to outside air in that area that week.  Using weather data for that area, the correction factor may well have been at zero or 1% with those inputs.  However the inlet air temperature on the snapshot of the data log from the FAST system shows 61 degrees F during a pull.  That variance would give about a =/-2% variance in correction.  They might have a sensor location or calibration issue.  I assume that the data log is an early effort since it shows a 24% fuel correction and still very lean compared to your target (although the lean number is closer to what I run for best power...)

Account for the 2% and about a dozen for the water pump & you get into the 670s for power and 615ish torque at +/- 1.27/cube - - - still really strong numbers and closer to what I would expect to see from a well thought out build with very good parts.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:47:33 PM by Barry_R »