Author Topic: Took home all the marbles yesterday.....ended up #2 in points for the year  (Read 6416 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Took home all the marbles yesterday.....ended up #2 in points for the year
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 02:28:25 PM »
My thoughts exactly. Do a nice, hot leakdown test. Maybe once side at a time, re-warm, do the other side. If all looks good, pull a few valve springs at random for a open/closed test. Or, just junk them for new ones.

If your oil and filter element have been good, I'd then skip the bottom end. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:50:27 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 02:40:39 PM »
Congrats Larry
Great back story.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 02:56:37 PM »
My thoughts exactly. Do a nice, hot leakdown test. Maybe once side at a time, re-warm, do the other side. If all looks good, pull a few valve springs at random for a open/closed test. Or4, just junk them for new one.

If your oil and filter has been good, I'd then skip the bottom end.

Since I only run a "little" .63 flat tappet I don't beat up springs like a roller.  Even at 4 yrs they don't do much but maybe a touch more shim to get them up to spec.  Then another 4 years we put springs in it.  I've been running these heads for 19 yrs now with the same cam.

I think I'll cut the filter and see what it looks like.  The motor still runs about 100# through the lights at 6500 rpm, so it is not getting worn out.  I change the oil once a year, before the season starts.  I used to get concerned with running old cast cranks and that was the real reason I pulled the crank out at 4 yrs to mag it.  With the new forged stroker I'm not so concerned anymore.  Plus I only turn it 6500, not 7500.  Again, it is a bracket motor and I don't care what it runs.  Only that it runs a long time.
Larry