Author Topic: The new guy from the old world got a knocking in the valvetrain  (Read 3030 times)

Toppa

• View Profile
The new guy from the old world got a knocking in the valvetrain
« on: October 14, 2016, 02:13:57 AM »
Hey folks,

short intro: Im Roman from germany, 25 years old, located near the north sea cost.
daily driving a 330cui Econoline from '97.
Now I bought a really nice LTD 390 '69 Stationwagon!

About my problem:

Got a knocking in the valvetrain, sounds like  both sides. At really low RPM the Oilpressure lights up slightly. stops with a soft step on the throttle.

i guess that my oil pump is down, and on my way home (600km) the valvetrain, maybe the rockers or pushrods, didnt get eanough oil...?
never been in touch with an engine that old, so may you could give me a little support how to start with? :)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: The new guy from the old world got a knocking in the valvetrain
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:30:48 AM »
First thing would be to get a proper mechanical oil psi gauge and see what the readings really are.

next would be to run the engine with the valve covers off and see if oil is sufficient to the top end.  Also a good time to make sure everything up there is good.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 10:05:59 AM »
Welcome Roman. It sounds like a cool old car you found in the old world. Flat tappet cams need old world oil to help them live. Like Rotella T Triple Protection. It's got the stuff that flat tappets need to live. Zinc, sulphur and stuff. It's a diesel oil, 15w40. There's a lot of other kinds of oil to choose from. Not sure what you have available where you are.  Hopefully the noise your describing isn't from worn lobes.

It's also possible that your upper timing gear has nylon teeth. The teeth will shred and clog up the oil pump pick-up screen causing a low oil pressure/volume situation. You can pull the fuel pump off and have a peek at the timing chain and upper sprocket. With any luck it has already been changed to a steel sprocket. 
Kevin McCullah

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 11:19:59 AM »
Welcome to the site, Roman.  When you get the opportunity, post some pictures of that wagon!

My experience with the symptoms you are describing is usually main or rod bearing wear.  I doubt that it is a faulty oil pump, because the oil light goes off with RPM; more likely it is excessive bearing clearance.  Have you listened under the engine, as well as on top?  You might try listening while you are on your hands and knees, with your head under the car and close to the oil pan, to see if the noise is louder down there.  If it is, I think you have worn bearings in the engine.  If you put an oil pressure gauge on the engine, that will tell us a lot. 

As Kevin mentioned, if the nylon teeth come off the top timing gear, they can also clog up the inlet to the oil pump, and this could lead to your oil light coming on at idle. 

If the noise does turn out to be a valvetrain noise, pulling the valve covers ought to let you figure it out.  That engine will have hydraulic lifters and non-adjustable rocker arms, so you can turn the engine to the firing stroke on each cylinder and check for looseness or play in the rockers of that cylinder.  If you find one that is loose, that is likely the source of the problem.

Good luck on the diagnosis!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Toppa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 05:50:39 AM »
morning guys,

thanks for all the tips, I will follow it and let you know what comes out.

- hydraulic lifter?  Really? I only read about OHV and pushrods, so no hydrolifters... ?
- Is there something like a 390 Big-Block-Bible? Any documentation?

attached my daily VAN, LTD will follow

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:23:18 AM »
Go to Barry's site survivalmotorsports.com and get his book. Lots of great info on the fe engines.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

Toppa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 02:10:51 AM »