Author Topic: Took home all the marbles yesterday.....ended up #2 in points for the year  (Read 6397 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Well, we had the final points race yesterday.  The 12th annual "Gear Jammers Bash", aka "Dave and Nona Breedlove Memorial race".

I was 4 rounds behind #1 going into the race.  That means I had to win and he go out round 1 for me to get around him.  Well, half of that happened.  I won.  ;)   Unfortunately #1 in points made it to the final also.  That means he had the championship wrapped up.  I did win the final to take home all the marbles, a nice payout and 30 gals of fuel.   It was a very tough 5 rounds, and with a little luck I pulled it off.  With only a couple classes running it was basically round robin all afternoon. 

Not that I'm ready for a 7 month nap, but don't have much choice in the matter.  Likely go through the engine this winter.  I'm on my fourth season and that is after 35 passes on the dyno to start off.  I haven't even had the valve covers off since that first summer(haven't check valve lash or anything).  Few oil changes and couple sets of plugs.  Not bad for an old dump truck engine.  Ran 10.9's at 121 mph yesterday.  No different then 4 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:02:11 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

cammerfe

• View Profile
Woot-Woot ;D

KS

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:59:46 AM by cammerfe »

dmazz

Nice job Larry.

machoneman

• View Profile
Congrats! Very cool  ;)
Bob Maag

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Excellent!  Good job shifting, and it sounds like the engine deserves a good freshening.  Hope it is all good.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

57 lima bean

Good going Larry!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Attaboy Larry!  If you get that engine apart over the winter it will be interesting to see what it looks like inside; bearings, cylinder walls, etc.  Hope you can post some pictures of the teardown.  Sounds like it hasn't lost a bit of power, so normal wear and tear on an engine in a 10 second car will be interesting to see...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

e philpott

• View Profile
good job Larry ... where was the race at ??

cjshaker

• View Profile
Ditto what Jay said. It'd be interesting to see what the bearings and cylinder walls look like. Must be a pretty solid build to not have lost anything in that 4 years.

And congrats again, for taking out the champion. That had to sting him a little..lol
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Katz427

• View Profile
Great final to your year of hard work! I met you at the FE reunion in April. I have seen you run the wagon a few times over the years and I must say it is a favorite of mine. Good luck to you always!

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Took home all the marbles yesterday.....ended up #2 in points for the year
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 11:00:11 AM »
Great job Larry and it was nice meeting you last month on Drag Week. It's tough winning any race, you took care of the part you had control over.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 11:56:54 AM »
Eric, we ran at Thompson.

That had to sting him a little..lol

Oh, if you only knew.  Here's a little back story.  I've known "Roger" for quite a few years, back when I first starting running at Magnolia.  Now, nice guy, but I'll say he is a bit of a bully, or arrogant in a way.  He likes to throw his weight around(big built guy).  He likes to talk smack and try to rattle you.  It doesn't work with me and he knows it.  We run on a ladder for eliminations so your opponent is predetermined.  A couple races back I had to run Roger second round.  He was 4 rounds ahead at that time.  I went .001 RED and gave it away.  I was not happy.  Last race I had to run him second round(ugh, again).  This time I whacked him with a .510 light and put him on the trailer.  Roger runs a '69 Chevelle that goes 8.30's in the 1/4.  He is the quickest car we have in the group.  At that point I knew if I won the next round I had a bye to the final.  I choked and broke out next round(with a .514 light to boot).  So I only gained 1 round on him going into Saturdays race, where my hopes were to be only 1 down or tied.

Second back story:  Roger has a son(Troy) that runs a new Camaro in the street class.  Troy has a son named Conner who just turned 5 this summer.  Now Conner absolutely LOVES my car.  He drags mom/dad down to see me at every race and I MUST wave at him coming down the return road(or I hear about it from dad).  I always go out of my way to stop and pick him up and talk.  Conner wears a dark green shirt(grandpas car is dark green) and it has "Crew Chief" on the back and his name on the front.  I've joked about making him a crew chief shirt with my car on it.  Well, I finally did.  Big picture of my car on the front, name on the pocket,"Official Crew Chief of the coolest drag car in town" on the back.  I signed it also.  Now I told Troy about this and he thought it would drive his dad NUTS and couldn't wait for me to give it to Conner.  Saturday was the PERFECT time to do this with the points chase so tight and Troy knew it would rattle his Dad.  Seems he likes to give his Dad grief whenever possible?  Like Father like son?

So we get to the track Saturday morning and I wave to Troy and his wife Heather brings Conner down to my trailer for the presentation.  Conners eyes lit up and was so happy to get his shirt.  He quickly took grandpas shirt off and put on mine!!!  LOL!!  Perfect(I was worried that Conner might want to wear it that day).  They walk back down through the pits and the group of us all watch to see Rogers reaction.  Uhhh, it was PRICELESS!!!   Roger grabs Conner and comes running back up to my trailer all puffed up!!!  LOL!!  Now it was all fun(he surely didn't want to yell at Conner for wearing a shirt that was given to him--even if it was me).  We all laughed and joked around.  Conner spent the day showing that shirt off to everyone.   Lots of people kept stopping to tell me about it.

After I beat Roger, Roger and Conner came up on their 4 wheeler.  Conner stuck out his hand and congratulated me, though you could see the tears in his eyes because grandpa lost.  How priceless.

Roger and I both had two championships, this will be his third.

As for motor?  I don't run it hard(as most may) and it is all bracket racing and making stuff last is my number one priority.  I should do a leak down just to see if anything is noticeable?  With old flat tappet camshaft I don't beat up rockers and springs.  I used to unload the valvetrain over winter but quit doing that.  I used to pull the heads off every two years and didn't do that.  I used to go through the bottom end every 4 years so that is on track.  In my 20 years I've never really had any issues with bearings.  They always look brand new even after 300+ passes.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »
THAT is one heck of a back story!...lol  It also goes to show that he has some class too; teaching your grandkid to congratulate someone after a defeat is teaching sportsmanship, even if he did win the championship.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »
Yup, Roger is a good guy you can't take that away.  He just likes to play the bully part sometimes and there are some people that can get offended by it.  You have to know him.  My best friend has the same kind of issue and it irritates some.  I just roll my eyes when he starts spouting off.
Larry

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 01:54:43 PM »
Congrats Larry on a hard fought race season. Awesome story about Connor too. He really REALLY needs a pedal car painted up like the Battlestar for the 2017 season.  8)
Kevin McCullah