Author Topic: Drag Week update, Wednesday...  (Read 10809 times)

427Fastback

• View Profile
Re: Drag Week update, Wednesday...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 10:13:32 PM »
I salute every ones efforts at drag week....I am quietly taking it all in from afar....Good luck to everyone..
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 10:16:45 PM »
I wanted to thank everyone for the good wishes and kind words about the car. And Barry, I think, if I had the proper clutch and sorted the launch out, the car should easily be in the 11's. The speed is there, and probably would have more if I could get the car moving faster off the line.

Ross, I wanted to say, about the starter, it's a heat issue. I THINK it may be because of my weak stock type cables. They need to be bigger. Heat makes amperage go up, and I just don't think the cables can handle it. I could be wrong about that though. The starter spins, it just won't kick the Bendix out. As soon as the car cools, the starter engages fine. I tried what you said the first couple times it happened, but it only ran up against the ring gear after spinning for several seconds, and I didn't want to chew any teeth off, so I didn't try it anymore.

I also wanted to say, I have met some of the greatest people, from ALL over the world! I just returned from the parking lot, checking a few things on the car, and while I was there, a family from Sweden stopped and talked to me for about a half hour. They were wonderful and I asked them to stop by again tomorrow and say hi. Of course I had to tell them that I have a friend from Sweden, Heo, who I also consider a good friend. I have met people from Denmark, Sweden, several from Australia, Astonia, Great Britain, Germany, and a couple countries that I can't even remember. Drag Week is an amazing, grueling, tiring and addictive event. I'm having the time of my life, and I can't wait till its over...lol But at the same time, I'll be sad to see it end.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 11:49:29 PM »
Way to go Doug keep up the good work

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 12:11:24 AM »
Thanks for the updates, we know you guys are super tired and busy, but we really appreciate your efforts. Good luck with the rest of the week.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 05:41:22 AM »

Ross, I wanted to say, about the starter, it's a heat issue. I THINK it may be because of my weak stock type cables. They need to be bigger. Heat makes amperage go up, and I just don't think the cables can handle it. I could be wrong about that though. The starter spins, it just won't kick the Bendix out. As soon as the car cools, the starter engages fine. I tried what you said the first couple times it happened, but it only ran up against the ring gear after spinning for several seconds, and I didn't want to chew any teeth off, so I didn't try it anymore.

Good call, that is odd.  Usually a bad starter drive will spin until you release the key.  You sure don't want it to be banging against the wheel at speed!  A starter is easier to change than a ring gear!   

Nice job so far, the car is getting faster as the week goes on, who can ask for more?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 08:19:06 AM »
Great job so far Doug, been following along enjoying your learning curve and the improvements along the way.  The starter problem is odd for sure, could it in part involve too little clearance between the starter and wheel teeth when hot?  Sorry if that's a lame question but I had hot start issues that turned out to be hot parts growth and clearance related.  Best to you for the balance of the week-
Len 
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
What you're describing - starter heat soak - is how I view that all stock type Ford starters die.  I only use PMGR starters anymore, have none of those issues.  Also, I've found that if your battery is in the trunk and your starter solenoid is still on the fender, voltage loss becomes excessive.  All the battery-in-truck cars here have the solenoid moved to the rear next to the battery and only the single heavy starter cable run up directly to the starter. 

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 10:35:03 AM »
Congrats on making the week Doug. Now I hope to see you come back bigger,badder, faster next year.  8)
Kevin McCullah

mike_burch

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 04:27:44 PM »
This is the best starter I've ever found...  Plus, the solenoid can be clocked/rotated around to any position to keep it away from heat, and for optimum clearance.  Highly recommended!

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/fordat_starter.html