Author Topic: Drag Week update, Wednesday...  (Read 10778 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Drag Week update, Wednesday...
« on: September 14, 2016, 10:37:02 PM »
I've been a little busy to give any updates, but I'll try tonight before I try and grab some sleep.

First, the car has been running great. Valvetrain seems to be happy after running the valves last night, so that's definitely good. At National Trail my ET was 13.25 with a speed of 112.5. Not what I wanted, but I was leaving at a really low rpm and the 60' times were horrible, so that kills my ET. Having street gears and not pro gears, with a Ram HD clutch, I didn't want to hurt the toploader or break a tooth on my rear because I don't have any spare parts for them. If I hurt them, I'm done.

At Norwalk, I didn't change anything and the car started cutting out at half track, but I was surprised my MPH only dropped by 1, and my ET was pretty much the same at 13.27. I think that was because I raised my shift point to 6400 to keep the engine in the power band better. I left at 2500 again, and again, it just kills my 60' because the car is hooking really well. I've just been making one run because, for one, I have zero chance of winning my class, and 2, I just want to make it through the week. I spent the night at the hotel in the parking lot changing plugs and checking the lash like I mentioned. I had the suspicion that the drives were hard on my plugs, and I hadn't changed them since I left for Drag Week. That suspicion turned out to be correct, because the car ran great at US 131.

At US 131, it was an all around good day for me. It was my wife's birthday for one (she's been showing up at each track to watch), and her Dad used to be a regular at this drag strip many years ago. He passed away last year, but used to race a '55 Chevy, then a '65 Mustang and eventually ran a rail for a short time before he retired from racing. My wife's sister and her husband showed up at the track, so it was a special day for everyone, and an emotional one for my wife and sister-in-law. I raised my launch RPM to 3000, kept my shift point at 6400, and ran a 12.98 @ 112.2. But again, my 60' times are killing my ETs. The higher launch helped though.

I need to be launching much higher to get the potential out of the car, but that will have to wait till Friday, provided I make it that far. I'm going to raise my launch to 3500 tomorrow at Indy and try easing off the clutch instead of dumping it. We'll see if that helps my 60' time.

Friday, I'll pull out all the stops, pull the exhaust, re-jet the carbs and try launching at 4500 and 5000. With the truck and trailer there, I won't have to worry about the car breaking.  I've been having a problem with my starter after driving for several hours. The Bendix won't kick out, so I've been doing NASCAR stops at gas stations and check points. That means 6-7 hour drives without shutting it off. Once the car cools, it's fine, so I'm confident I can finish the week without loosening the header to change it. I also was stuck in 2 miles of bumper to bumper traffic after the Bowling Green checkpoint, near Toledo. The car crept up to 215* and I was getting nervous, but it stopped dead at 215* and the engine handled it beautifully with no bucking or pinging problems. I was actually impressed and very happy with that. Apparently, I have the carbs and timing tuned pretty well. I'm also very glad I have the factory oil cooler on it.

I'd also like to say that I'm VERY impressed with Alan's car. He can putt around, stop and go anywhere he pleases, and rip off 11.7-11.8 elapsed times with ease in a less than light Galaxie. The car is deceptively stock and looks to play the 'mild mannered accountant' part, but it's more a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: Drag Week update, Wednesday...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 10:53:16 PM »
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the car is doing well.

Are ya having fun and would you do it again?? Enjoy.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 11:13:30 PM »
Nice going Doug.  Pulling for you to make it through and gather experience for a later effort.  The learning curve on that whole deal has to be a lot to absorb in one outing.
Blair Patrick

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 12:49:53 AM »
Doug, you have one VERY nice Mustang. That car is very nice and clean. Have not had a chance to see it run though. Been too busy helping Jay and Joel.

It was nice to meet you!

Jeff

TomP

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 03:05:55 AM »
Since reaction time doesn't matter try the higher RPM and letting the pedal up slowly. I had to run my 390 Ranchero like that and it never harmed the stock 28 spline axles leaving at 4500.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 04:41:36 AM »
Great job Doug!
Cheering for you!

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 06:00:29 AM »
Doug, unsure of what you mean that the Bendix won't kick out.

If you mean it just spins without engaging, remember this old used car trick (if you get stuck and have to shut it off)

On a Ford Bendix, if it doesn't engage, just hold the key and let it spin for a while, it won't kick it, but they build up heat.  It feels unnatural, but hold it there for a while, it's not drawing a lot of current.  15-20 seconds

Release the key and immediately start it.   They almost always work normal for 1-2 times.  If they don't do it again.  Limped home a bunch of them over the years for customers and my own.  Get back to the shop, swap the starter drive out, and off you go again

Good luck and thanks for the update!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 06:48:17 AM »
Good going, Doug......
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 08:40:52 AM »
Kudo's Doug
    Curious if the your used plugs look fouled or if they looked good and just didn't get with the program?

I had a mega problem on my lawn mower with a plug that looked absolutely clean and progressively ran worse until near total failure wouldn't rev beyond idle... Friend that's an industrial motor Rep told me the modern pump fuel does crazy crap to plugs

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 09:39:22 AM »
Keep bumping up your air pressure in the slicks to try and get it to (slightly) spin just at the hit. If it is hooking and bogging because you don't have an adjustable clutch, getting just a bit od spin will help the wheel speed and it should recover. Once it blows the tires off go back down... LOL. I do think it will help. Stick cars need from a 1/2 turn to just a couple turns of the tire even with a soft-loc.

Good luck!
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 05:54:52 PM »
Hell yes! I'm rootin' for iron heads here. Go Doug!!!  8)
Kevin McCullah

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
Hey Doug, saw you run a 12.7 today. Way to be.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 07:51:28 PM »
Well I made it to Columbus, so that's good.

To Thor and Tom, I already had it in my mind to do both today. I raised pressure to 15 and let off the clutch slower. Both helped, but I need to raise pressure a bit more and let off a little slower. My 60' dropped, which is why I ET'd better, and my speed went to 113, despite the car cutting out on me the last hundred feet or so.

It was NOT a clean run though. After doing my burnout and staging, the guy in front of me pulled to the side of the track, about 3/4 track. Since Indy has a long pre-stage area, I couldn't push the car up as far as I wanted, so it was already pretty warm by the time I staged. I shut it off to wait for the car to be towed off the track, and watched my temp go to 200. Of course when it was time to restart, it wouldn't. Desperately hitting the key, it finally kicked out about the 20th try and started right up, but was now at 205*. Knowing I didn't need the extra traction, I declined another burnout and just restaged. I think the run would have been much better if that hadn't happened because I neglected to clear the engine with the rush to restage. I need to remember to do that every time.

Nevertheless, I ran a 12.73, knocking over 2 tenths off, and was surprised to see my speed increase despite the engine cutting out. The car still bogged as the clutch grabbed about 30' off the line, so I have a couple ways to try and remedy that tomorrow...more pressure, less clutch. I may also try more pressure and dumping the clutch to get a bit of spin as Thor suggested. I just need to find the right combination for my setup. The car has a lot more potential when I figure it out. It drives the track beautifully with no pull off the line like I had at Beaver. And despite the toploader being stock (rebuilt it last year), it shifts nice and quick. No missed shifts the whole week unlike the embarrassing show at Beaver. I don't know what my issue was there, but there were many.

The drive to Columbus was uneventful, despite the NASCAR fuel stops. 250 miles, nonstop, I coasted into the hotel on fumes (literally!) so I can have a light fuel load of 50/50 tomorrow. The valvetrain is still happy, the car is happy, so I'm satisfied with how things are going so far, just need to get this launch figured out.

On a side note, Jay and I were in line side by side today, so I offered him a $20 wager if we staged together, for the win. He didn't bite. I could have used that money.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 08:05:22 PM »
Way to go Doug!
As you get the package sorted out I suspect it will keep getting quicker every time.
That MPH has low 12s or even 11s showing in the future!

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 08:40:22 PM »
Great job Doug glad to hear all is working good for you. Good Luck rest of the week........Al
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way